Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2009, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by *SJ* View Post
If Jackbox is posting regarding the kennels they work at then it is possible they do know they've been rehomed.
I can honestly tell you all the dogs since I arrived at the kennels where my dogs were trained early in 2005 can be accounted for. Every single one that has retired since this time has either been taken home by the owner or been found a home through the RGT. The reason I know is because I take an interest in what happens to them all as I have worked with them during their racing days and also help at the local RGT with home checking etc.
I'm sure there's many kennels out there the same as this but again it's not the right sort of publicity wanted is it.
I'm pleased to hear this. You'r wrong if you think I don't want to hear this. On the contrary....it's really good to hear.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2009, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by zoe1969 View Post
I apologise for calling your opinion stupid. Wrong choice of words. I would appreciate it though if you weren't so very sarcastic because you disagree. I am actually sticking up for the right to have an opinion either for or against an argument...hence a debate.
You think all this anti -racing stuff is propaganda and i don't. We have totally differing opinions and we'll never agree but that's life!
I'm not anti racing as I've already said. I know they love chasing and I know that's in their breeding...I have a greyhound and 2 lurchers and all they want to do is chase.
I also know that there are responsible people out there who race their dogs but there are people out there who are not responsible and as I've said before....it's them I am against.

Just out of a matter of interest...how many racing hounds do you think ARE cruelly treated?
Not a problem apologies here too.

No sure numbers of course, but cruelly treated, very few. Id say massively less than "normal" dogs cruelly treated every day.
*SJ*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-12-2009, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
I clearly stated the number was estimated?

I didn't assume anything - I asked you question, to which you haven't replied, apart from confirming you know the answer.

It's great to know your greyhounds have survived being exposed to a high risk of injury - I don't suppose you would care to tell us their racing names would you?

Are you a trainer or owner or both?
It's obviously the way you word things Trudy.

It came across as an assumption! I know because I'm involved with the racing as a kennel hand and know exactly what the vets do.

It would seem you don't like hearing the good things that go on in racing and retirement, I know I'm not in the minority when it comes to rehoming my dogs.

I am not a trainer, I am an owner who has a kennel hands licence as I like to be involved and see exactly what goes on. However the dogs is a hobby and not my main employment.

Why do you want the dog's racing names? Do you not believe me?
*SJ*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-12-2009, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by zoe1969 View Post
I'm pleased to hear this. You'r wrong if you think I don't want to hear this. On the contrary....it's really good to hear.
Zoe,

my post wasn't aimed at you, it was Jodie who was questioning that no one knows.
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-12-2009, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by Navajo View Post
1500....accidents, falls, injuries???
Estimated dogs destroyed - trackside - due to minor or major injury.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2009, 10:46 PM
Estimated dogs destroyed - trackside - due to minor or major injury.
Great word "estimated" isnt it!
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-12-2009, 10:52 PM
Can you point me towards the adverts for these dogs, I'm on the flaps and paid a considerable sum more for my dogs ... would love a good dog for £50 or even free ...
Data or PB sales - as I'm sure you know.
*SJ*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-12-2009, 10:54 PM
All the earmarked greyhounds have been bred for racing - they are the racing industry's responsibility from cradle to grave - no one else's.

This country cannot home the sheer numbers of greyhounds bred for racing. Many shelter dogs are destroyed because homes that are willing to take in a rescue dog are full of the industry's waste product - in the form of a greyhound.
When a dog is rehomed to someone other than it's racing owner it is signed over to the new owner as a pet. The Greyhound is becoming more and more recognised as to what great pets they make, the public aren't being forced to rehome them. If this new owner then God forbid abandons said dog after a period of time how on earth can that be the responsibility of the racing industry.
Is it the fault of the RSPCA or other rehoming group when one of the dogs they re home turns up abandoned?
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-12-2009, 10:56 PM
I do, every 7 to 10 days! I'm afraid there is risk to all sport and I always give them a kiss before they go in the traps and tell them to come home safely, exactly the same that I do with the pointers. Nobody wants to see their dog injured or killed.
In doing so, you are putting your self serving needs - financial or emotional - before the welfare of your dog.

To knowingly risk injury to your dog is a breach of the Animal Welfare Act.
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-12-2009, 11:06 PM
I agree there, I would like to have a vet present but it's the cost, it would kill the tracks. There are telephone numbers for close emergency vets on the race card though.
Speechless.............
Page 50 of 157 « First < 40 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 60 100 150 > Last »