Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-10-2009, 09:04 PM

Trainer ( beggers belief!!)

Well I heard it all today, some one I know has had a litter of pups, (xbreeds) one of her potential owners wants a puppy, but has an existing dog, who is dog aggressive, she took the pup home and the dog had a go at it.... to her credit, the lady wants to try and make it work.... so someone suggested she speak to a trainer , to help work the situation out.

So she did, the trainer said to her, " I dont do aggressive dogs"!!!!!! , and if you are asking my advice, if the dog is !dog aggressive" it needs to be PTS

The most frightening part to this is , that these people could take his advice, they wont as they know their dog, and other than trying to integrate a pup, they deal with the dogs problems well!!

BUT ........if other people are going to him, and they take up on his advice , can you imagine!!!!!!! it just does not bare thinking about.

The obvious advice is, as much as these people want to take this pup in, sometimes it is just not possible, if they have a dog that will not take to it.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2009, 09:11 PM
it makes me very sad to hear these things, more so as the trainer gave up on the dog before he started,

its becoming all to regular now though, aggression is a problem many trainers will not touch, or dont know how to cope with,
in the latter case its better he walks away from the dog than does anything to make the problem worse, but to say have the dog PTS with little or no real knowlage of why the dog is like that is bad.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

15-10-2009, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
it makes me very sad to hear these things, more so as the trainer gave up on the dog before he started,

its becoming all to regular now though, aggression is a problem many trainers will not touch, or dont know how to cope with,
in the latter case its better he walks away from the dog than does anything to make the problem worse, but to say have the dog PTS with little or no real knowlage of why the dog is like that is bad.

Shona, he has not even seen the dog, this advice was given over the phone
Boxer Boy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-10-2009, 09:16 PM
The dog training world is littered with charlatans, this person appears to be one such.

Most dog trainers don't/can't do aggressive dogs, at least he had the sense to recognise this.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2009, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Shona, he has not even seen the dog, this advice was given over the phone
thats shocking can you imagine if I had did that to people and they took that advice, if I were her I would contact a good trainer with some experiance,
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

15-10-2009, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
thats shocking can you imagine if I had did that to people and they took that advice, if I were her I would contact a good trainer with some experiance,
Exactly, can you imagine if someone took his advice on his word as a trainer, and had their dog PTS

Bloody fool and arrogant with it
Boxer Boy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-10-2009, 09:35 PM
one of her potential owners wants a puppy, but has an existing dog, who is dog aggressive,
Is it my genius and clarity of thought that makes me conclude, sorting out her dog's aggression should be her priority, not getting a pup.

Nah !! she's a woman, she must have a good reason.
Promethean
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-10-2009, 10:10 PM
So she did, the trainer said to her, " I dont do aggressive dogs"!!!!!! , and if you are asking my advice, if the dog is !dog aggressive" it needs to be PTS

I'm on the side of the trainer. Not that the owner actually take the advice and euthanize the dog. However this was an honest trainer for openly admitting that they did not deal with aggressive cases"

Many trainers would have just taken the client on bad faith.

The trainer was honest in both her assessment of her skill and her opinion of aggressive dogs. Good for her.
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-10-2009, 10:24 PM
Isn't it time there was some kind of regulation of trainers?
Fair enough to say he didn't work with aggressive dogs but why not tell her to go to someone else?
I met someone yesterday who'd been charged £80 by a trainer who left her dog terrified. It was a young Cairn terrier who's scared of going in the car. The man claimed it was 'being dominant' and needed firm handling. By the time he left both dog and owner were traumatised. The poor dog hid a corner and wouldn't even come out to eat.
Boxer Boy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-10-2009, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by Promethean View Post
The trainer was honest in both her assessment of her skill and her opinion of aggressive dogs. Good for her.
She was also an uncaring fool, most dogs with problems which result in aggression can be rehabillitated successfully, and bring great joy to those who have helped them become friendly dogs.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >