Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2009, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Well, my training is positive then because Tai gets plenty of rewards : they are just not titbit rewards ! He is praised when he has done good with a pat on the head or a stroke and a "good boy". I never use physical force; I do not call a gentle but firm short tug on the lead "force" if he has ignored my "sshh" when walking to heel. This doesn't happen very often, but happen it does, and if he ignores the verbal command, he gets a gentle but firm tug.

I have different noises for different things. Asking him to walk to heel a bit better, I will say "sshh", as described above. "Oi" is a bit more assertive ... I will say this if he has suddenly espied that the chickens have escaped out onto the set aside across the field. I will say "ah ah" when we are biking along the canals, and he has got very interested in a family of ducklings on the water. Top of the scale is a full blown bellow of a "NO" if we suddenly realise we are biking past a field of sheep - although they are very well fenced off along the canals, there is always the potential that such a large dog can jump over the hedge or fencing. I have and do use the Cesar "bite", I don't view that as negative at all, but very positive. I will use that when we are, say, in the pub with Tai and he espies his old enemy the Black Labrador from across the room - in this particular circumstance, usually an "oi" with an accompanying warning finger is not enough and I do not like to bellow in public, so a Cesar bite will be administered. He just lays his head back down and goes to sleep. Very positive, I would call that.
my sibes must be realy thicked skinned then.lol.
Steven_L
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-08-2009, 07:59 PM
In the cold light of day Steven I am sure this will make sense, but I'm too tired to make sense of it right now. I shall read it at work tomorrow.
Sorry, wasn't posting it directly for you to read, its just that since these were brought up, I'd thought I'd clarify a tad...just for general purposes.

Is it really hard to understand? I try so hard not to make it that way
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by Steven_L View Post
Humans didn't get together with wolves.... there is no fossil record that proves that. In fact today's wolves didn't exist back then. Wolves and dogs evolved from a common ancestor, not dogs came from wolves. Of that there is at least some fossil records to prove.

As for the hunting aid and free food. That is only half correct, ancestral dogs lived off the leftovers of humans, they contributed little to the 'hunting' especially when humans started to cultivate things such as cattle and crop.
You had better let the Smythsonian Institute know that they are wrong then !! In the late 90's they reclassified Canis Familiaris as Canis Lupus Familiaris (or something along those lines, I'm too tired to think straight tonight!), but basically through the mitochondrial RNA, all domestic dogs can be traced back to 3 wolf bitches. The only argument surrounding this is whether wolf first approached man, or whether man first attempted to tame wolf, seeing the potential for sentinels and hunters.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2009, 08:02 PM
Sorry, wasn't posting it directly for you to read, its just that since these were brought up, I'd thought I'd clarify a tad...just for general purposes.

Is it really hard to understand? I try so hard not to make it that way
No no, it's thicko me !! I need to be fresh as a daisy to even understand the telephone directory !
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-08-2009, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
During one programme (not sure if it's been shown in the UK)there is evidence of lack of oxygen in the dog.

The programme was concerning the dog "Shadow". After CM had "dealt" with him, the dog actually had an engorged penis. This is a physiological sign of oxygen deprivation and proves that CM does indeed partially strangle dogs at times during use of his methods.

Whatever the views, I wanted to put this on here because as far as I'm concerned it needs to be absolutely confirmed that he does do this - not just have them on a tight high up lead or anything - and it does seem that the evidence is there.

Wys
x
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Blimey Syd must be deprived of oxygen on a regular basis cos he frequently has an engorged penis and he does it to himself without a lead in sight.
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Thats probably excitement though, not fear and oxygen starvation.
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
lol
but to be fair,it IS a symptom of oxygen deprivation.......im sure you have heard of the strange 'sexsual practise' that some humans enjoy....not sure about dogs tho
The point being it's hardly conclusive evidence of oxygen deprivation is it. I do accept it as a possibility just not proof. The clip I saw showed the dog with his lipstick out, It didn't compare at all with Syd's tbh. there is no mistaking when his is engorged, we don't call him big boy for nothing. Syds definitely isn't fear or excitement, it is arousal though and he gets quite annoyed with it. Although I do have to agree it wasn't exactly CM's finest moment.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2009, 08:03 PM
Careful about your definitions of negative vs. positive. Techniques such as physical modelling a non-operant technique requires the owner to pull/push the dog to teach it what a command means however it is not a negative technique.
Yep - hence the use of the word 'force'.
I also think that it depends on the dog - any physical 'modelling' let alone 'force' is negative for Tassle, but I aree that many dogs are ok with the owner positioning them and rewarding.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2009, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
yes you are g,as is everyone now I might be shot down for this one.....i dont think you can compare s.e and cm,i also dont THINK s.e would adocate alot of the 'techniques' cm uses.whilst i do think he agrees with some of the 'ethos' as do alot of people but the ethos is not exclusive to c.m.imo.
I wasn't !! I just personally think that SE is far better at "translating and understanding" dogs perhaps than CM is.

I am sure SE wouldn't advocate a lot of CM's techniques, certainly NOT with his wolves !!

I'm off to bed, nite one and all x
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2009, 08:05 PM
But this is totally natural canine behaviour !! Not unfair at all IMO.
This in relation to a dog forced to allow bum sniffing.

The behaviour might be natural but the forced acceptance is not.

At the moment I am introducing the pup to lots of things including a neighbours dogs today. She is quite nervy and didn't want them round her, so we let her find her own level from a place of safety and in the end she was fine and confident.

Forcing any dog at any stage of development to what it isn't confident doing is IMO wrong.

rune
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2009, 08:05 PM
But this is totally natural canine behaviour !! Not unfair at all IMO.
But dogs have personal space just as people do - some dogs do 'rude' sniffs.

Have you read the 'He only wants to say Hi' article?
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2009, 08:09 PM
Well, my training is positive then because Tai gets plenty of rewards : they are just not titbit rewards ! He is praised when he has done good with a pat on the head or a stroke and a "good boy".

That is positive reinforcement! well done, However that is NOT CM!!!!

I never use physical force; I do not call a gentle but firm short tug on the lead "force" if he has ignored my "sshh" when walking to heel. This doesn't happen very often, but happen it does, and if he ignores the verbal command, he gets a gentle but firm tug.

that is positive punishment, why not stop him going wrong to start with? and, it tells me your postive reinforcment Above ISNT enough for him, so a pat on the head from you is not enough for him to want to repeat the behaviour so in order to stop haveing to revert to the punishment you would need to up his reward to something he really values

I have different noises for different things. Asking him to walk to heel a bit better, I will say "sshh", as described above. "Oi" is a bit more assertive ... I will say this if he has suddenly espied that the chickens have escaped out onto the set aside across the field. I will say "ah ah" when we are biking along the canals, and he has got very interested in a family of ducklings on the water. Top of the scale is a full blown bellow of a "NO" if we suddenly realise we are biking past a field of sheep - although they are very well fenced off along the canals, there is always the potential that such a large dog can jump over the hedge or fencing.

I have and do use the Cesar "bite", I don't view that as negative at all, but very positive. you are right its positive punishment I will use that when we are, say, in the pub with Tai and he espies his old enemy the Black Labrador from across the room - in this particular circumstance, usually an "oi" with an accompanying warning finger is not enough and I do not like to bellow in public, so a Cesar bite will be administered. He just lays his head back down and goes to sleep. Very positive, I would call that.you are right positive punishment, so why not teach this very clever willing dog instead of having to nag him & correct him to "settle", thats not a stay, thats to settle there until I (thats you as pack leader) decide to leave?
Im not a pack leader, but if i tell my dogs to settle they settle, they dont need correcting or reminding, they know im fair, they know i wont let them get into danger, they trust me, so if i tell them to settle they setle down & have a relaxed doze, no correction, just abit of training intially (you have to put the work in!!)& abit of positive re inforcement, a slow firm stroke down their back "thats a good settle", sometimes a sweetie sometimes not. The dogs know what is expected of them, because they understand the word settle. A tsst that you use for lots of different things to your dog means "you are wrong stop it" .......stop what? how is the dog going to guess at what exavtly you are telling him to stop? he has to work it out & sometimes gets it wrong & thats why you HAVE to repeat & get firmer, Not fair on the dog to up the "positive punishment" when its not clear in the first place.

Does any of this make sense???????????
Page 114 of 125 « First < 14 64 104 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 124 > Last »