Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-06-2009, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I disagree compleatly, you may find the dogs in the UK are very diff to usa
the ones I have had come for training have been far more high energy than a golden,

the ones I have met have had good tempraments also, but they are a handful.
If I am not mistaken dog-nut imported her dog into the US..
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2009, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
If I am not mistaken dog-nut imported her dog into the US..
From the UK?

I hope not, considering how many Poodle crosses there are in shelters over there!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

17-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
From the UK?

I hope not, considering how many Poodle crosses there are in shelters over there!
I
paid $1100 (USA) plus $180 for air-shipping for a poodle/golden cross.
Might have that wrong, may be from another state in the US
rubylover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-06-2009, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by dog-nut View Post
Breeding to establish desired traits IS a good thing.

Personally, I am more in favor of establishing work traits and behaviour traits than fixing a certain look...although, I can appreciate that to a certain degree.

However, there is a point where it is ridiculous and dangerous from a genetics standpoint.

I recently read a book on the battle of the Border collie breeders against the AKC.
The breeders didn't want the Border Collie to be admitted to the AKC.
The border collie was a great work dog without having a very narrow physical standard.
Although they looked very different one from the other, they were not at all generic looking.
And there was no obsessive attempt to keep the breed "pure".
Work ability was paramount...this allows for the introduction of new "blood" into the breed...no genetic botteneck is created.
Dog-nut, you speak to my heart and my heritage. My grandfather started littering working collies in the early 1900s, and his daughters continued farm descendants through to the early 80s. His original bitch lived to the age of 22 and my mom has stories and photos of Rufus, a grandson, who was the dog of her whole childhood and lived past 20 as well. Many descended dogs lived and worked into their late teens. The family bred a gentle temperamented loose-eyed collie as they were all into dairy farming . . . and dairy cattle require a more laid back herder.

The book you speak of is "Dog Wars: How the Border Collie Battled the American Kennel Club" by Don McCaig. It speaks wonderfully to our North American tradition of breeding that very much celebrates the idea of breeding for working and behavioural traits to the point that many here have an inborn loathing of the idea of breeding with phenotype at too high a value.

This is a quote from Don McCaig's book "Big one, little one, handsome one, ugly ones, long-coated, short-coated: nobody gave a damn. How's his outrun? Can he read sheep? Can he move a rank old cow?"

This was the philosophy of breeding that I and most of my generation grew up with and there is no way that even with the hard sell of the purebred or showdog philosophy, that philosophy will catch on here as completely as it has in its place of origin - Europe.

This is also probably why we have many more in North America that have absolutely no problem with crossbred dogs of any type, including designer dogs, as long as they are bred and placed with care.

The following link provides a link to a wonderful and informative review of the book by Patrick Burns that gives very in depth descriptions of the concepts behind the more traditional breeding philosophy a huge number of breeders embrace here.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...stRecentReview
rubylover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-06-2009, 03:40 PM
Compare that $1100 USA price for a Doodle to the $5000 price tag for a Cavalier (that ended up with SM) talked about here (at the page bottom - last comment).

http://www.dogmagazine.net/archives/...#comment-36853

As a friend "convinced" me (erronously, I have changed my mind) purchasing pure was the only responsible way to go for my last dog purchase, I was quoted prices over $3000 many times when looking for a Cavalier 5 years ago - and this was before any breeders were using MRI!!!

How can posters exclaim at prices of $1100 when many, many purebred breeders are asking much, much more!

Please don't tell me $1100 is a high price to pay for a dog here. To touch a less common registered dog or especially less common small breeds here for that matter you can't find one for less than $1100. Puppymills are selling them for $800, but I'm sure those on this forum are not encouraging that kind of purchase.
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-06-2009, 03:47 PM
There was a 'Pussle' (pug x JRT) in our paper today, £400. I'm speechless.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

17-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by rubylover View Post
Compare that $1100 USA price for a Doodle to the $5000 price tag for a Cavalier (that ended up with SM) talked about here (at the page bottom - last comment).

http://www.[sys edit: contains dog f...#comment-36853

As a friend "convinced" me (erronously, I have changed my mind) purchasing pure was the only responsible way to go for my last dog purchase, I was quoted prices over $3000 many times when looking for a Cavalier 5 years ago - and this was before any breeders were using MRI!!!

How cant posters exclaim at prices of $1100 when many, many purebred breeders are asking much, much more!

Please don't tell me $1100 is a high price to pay for a dog here. To touch a less common registered dog or especially less common small breeds here for that matter you can't find one for less than $1100. Puppymills are selling them for $800, but I'm sure those on this forum are not encouraging that kind of purchase.
I think you seem to have the wrong idea, that we in the UK, Europe, on this forum, have something against X Breeds/mongrels

Its far from the thruth.. its the price and ethics of why they are bred.

$5000 price tag for a Cavalier (about £2,500) I think,?? is rediculous money to spend on a Cav.. as iS $1100 (£6/700 ) for a doodle.

The point many of us make is the reasons behind the Breeding... it is not to make a better more hypoallergenic dog..... which is misleading the thruth..its to make lots of money by selling something different from the norm...and peopel are willing to pay for the illusion, they have something others dont.

You can pick and choice which traits you want from a random cross of two breeds... you get what you get it is pot luck... but what is not pot luck, is the poor health that goes with many of these cross breeds
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2009, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by peedie View Post
There was a 'Pussle' (pug x JRT) in our paper today, £400. I'm speechless.
Ewwwwwwwww, that name needs changing for sure............conjured up thoughts of a big infected spot ready to burst

I'd always heard that particular cross as a Puggle!
dog-nut
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-06-2009, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by rubylover View Post
Dog-nut, you speak to my heart and my heritage. [/url]
Ruby,

You are now my official Dogsey girlfriend.

You like my grandson, my dog, and we share similar views.

BTW, Ernie was purchased from the USA.
Flown from the west coast to the east coast.
dog-nut
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-06-2009, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
The breeder of your crossbreed obviously wasn't knowledgeable as he/she was happy to charge over $1000 a pup yet couldn't be bothered to heath test. Not exactly setting the best example, eh?
I already had this discussion on the other thread.
If you didn't understand my point (even if you disagree), I give up.

I consider testing one of the signs of a great breeder.
I COULD consider my breeder a good breeder if her results are very good.

She started golden retreiver breeding 25 years ago.
Maybe they didn't have all those tests then , and she developed healthy dogs anyway:
Screening out dogs who had a problem with themselves or their litters, etc.

When the tests became more available, maybe she stayed with her old ways.

Or maybe she is somewhat unscrupulous.

And maybe she is good because her results are good.

Ernie is great.

This is irrelevant to the main doodle discussion because there are many great doodle breeders who do all the testing.
Page 11 of 30 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 > Last »