Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2009, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
[/B]

I haven't watched any CM in ages as I haven't had a lot of time for TV watching, so haven't seen the episode where he uses an ecollar on Daddy. However, I do seem to recall he used an ecollar once before on either a border collie or australian shepherd (I think) which chased the tractor around the farm and had already been run over once. I seem to recall it worked and the dog kept a healthy distance after that.
It worked for a while from what I remember, the owners of the Cattle dog already used the collar before CM arrived, they claimed the dog ignored it. I reckon CM upped the charge considerably on it to get the desired effect.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-06-2009, 12:30 PM
Molly a blue heeler was obsessed with chasing tyres. By the age of 18 months she had already lost an eye and had her lower jaw pushed into the upper jaw as a result of her obsession, Her owners had tried and e collar the previous year, it worked temporarily. The collar was too big and the corrections she received as a result were somewhat hit and miss. They didn't use it consistently and gave up on it.
CM supplied a new properly fitting collar.When she moved towards the tyres she was zapped, she turned away by the end of the day it was being used on the lowest vibrate level for Molly to get the message. Before leaving them he drove past on the combine harvester while she lay down and ignored it.He left them with instructions to keep the collar on for 3 months using the lowest vibrate setting should she ever show any inclination to go back to her obsession.
weim1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-06-2009, 12:41 PM
weim1 , this is not aimed at you personally, and I am sorry for your loss...but just as a scenario.. the sad tale Heldengebroed quoted, no amount of training with a shock collar would help in that situation.

thats ok my dog was not in a kennel just in his own yard playing ball with us
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2009, 12:47 PM
Electric fencing is commonly used for Sheep here. Its also commonly used for Horses.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2009, 12:56 PM
Ahhh yes I remember now, I knew they had used a collar and aid it didnt work and I know CM used one too I thought it was the same collar?
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2009, 12:58 PM
Having worked with (and cured) many dogs with traffic chasing issues I find it odd that people feel the need to use these methods.

It would be interesting to see what methods these people had tried other than the e-collar.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-06-2009, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Having worked with (and cured) many dogs with traffic chasing issues I find it odd that people feel the need to use these methods.

It would be interesting to see what methods these people had tried other than the e-collar.

No idea and not sure a combine harvester would be classed as traffic. It's a working farm they put the harvest first, they admitted as much. The dog was heading for certain death or serious maiming at least. Never having owned/worked on a farm, I can't comment. It's not how I taught my dogs to ignore traffic etc. They don't come into contact with combine harvesters but do regularly meet the huge grass cutting machine over the park, used for cutting down the really long grass. My dogs are at the top of my list of priorities and I have the time to invest in them.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2009, 01:25 PM
It is one of the most common reasons farmers loose diogs down here. They have dogs specifically bred for herding things but don't seem to make the connection they will herd the Vehicles as well

Like you say its a priority thing....they obviously had either not tried other methods or decided that the other methods would take too long. Its quite sad really...
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2009, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I only ever saw it used for sheep when I was in Somerset!
Becky
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I saw it used for sheep in derbyshire last week. So did Tango.

I do think there is a difference between electric fencing and a shock collar though. I don't like electric fencing at all though.
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Humm....our farmer seems to disagree
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Electric fencing is commonly used for Sheep here. Its also commonly used for Horses.
Ahh but you are all a bit *different* down South!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Molly a blue heeler was obsessed with chasing tyres. By the age of 18 months she had already lost an eye and had her lower jaw pushed into the upper jaw as a result of her obsession, Her owners had tried and e collar the previous year, it worked temporarily. The collar was too big and the corrections she received as a result were somewhat hit and miss. They didn't use it consistently and gave up on it.
CM supplied a new properly fitting collar.When she moved towards the tyres she was zapped, she turned away by the end of the day it was being used on the lowest vibrate level for Molly to get the message. Before leaving them he drove past on the combine harvester while she lay down and ignored it.He left them with instructions to keep the collar on for 3 months using the lowest vibrate setting should she ever show any inclination to go back to her obsession.
Ahh that's the one Thanks T.
Page 22 of 45 « First < 12 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 32 > Last »