Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-06-2009, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by rich c View Post
On the 9v battery on the tongue thing...

Try googling die battery testing tongue...
Like I said, if one is is silly enough to stick ones tongue on a live battery !!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

06-06-2009, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
The bold bit and the italic bit Gnasher.

If CM does take his dogs in the countryside where Snakes are, why did he inflict a collar on just one? An elderly, well behaved animal that he does most of his "work" with? Surely he has 40 odd other dogs that require "teaching" also? Or does he only take one dog? Its wrong Gnasher, whichever way you look at it, there was absolutely NO need for that poor dog to be zapped on several occasions just so CM could prove a point, he never used it on the dogs that were at risk, and by your own words his other dogs go into the "countryside" (which incidently I dont believe) so why wasnt a more younger, bouncy, "at risk" dog used instead of a well behaved elderly one?
Maybe because Daddy is as much a celeb as CM is... and the programme would have had less impact if a lesser known dog was used.

Or maybe he knew Daddy well enough to know the dog would not scarper into the distance with the shock of the collar... making him (CM) look rather foolish.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2009, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I wouldn't say a real danger, Mish, they are pretty rare, even in those areas where the like to live, like heathland and sand dunes. And it is not always easy to keep a look out for them. When I am walking my dog, I am not scouring the undergrowth 100% of the time looking for anything dangerous that might come out and bite him ! In addition, we do an awful lot of mountain biking with Tai running alongside off lead, so it is just not good enough I don't think to say "keep a look out for them". This is just unviable in the real world.
Depends where you live We have quite a few up here unfortunately. Also, my sister's unfortunate Spinone has been bitten 3 times by an adder. She lives in Cumbria.

Personally, even though I would use an ecollar as a last resort for a life-threatening problem, I wouldn't use one to scare a dog away from adders.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2009, 10:03 AM
Both dogs and humans frequently have a huuge fear of snakes, I personally love 'em, but I think the trouble with a dog like Daddy, a pit bull, he would wade in and bite first, and ask questions later, which would inevitably have resulted in his death at some stage or other. CM needed to teach him to be afraid of the snake to such an extent that he would give them a wide berth in future.

The e collar worked - which in my opinion just goes to show how very painful and scarey they must be to a dog! I personally believe that in this case the end justified the means, but I have to say there are very few occasions I can think of where such a thing should be used. But as controversial as doubtless this is, I think with a dog like Daddy CM was entirely justified.

I haven't watched any CM in ages as I haven't had a lot of time for TV watching, so haven't seen the episode where he uses an ecollar on Daddy. However, I do seem to recall he used an ecollar once before on either a border collie or australian shepherd (I think) which chased the tractor around the farm and had already been run over once. I seem to recall it worked and the dog kept a healthy distance after that.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2009, 10:19 AM
Just to play devil's advocate, who uses electric fencing for horses? And, if you do, how can you justify using it?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2009, 10:24 AM

Rubbish !! When I say plugged into the mains, I mean connected to a nearby electricity pole thingey - I don't know what it is called, but it's a telegraph pole with a box of tricks to it, and off this comes a line to the wire that runs around the field including going across the top of the stile. It was one of those sheep electric fences, and believe me they knock you off your feet !! Or off your bum, in my case !! It was absolute agony, I had a nasty burn across my thighs and my jodphurs were ruined ! There is no way the macho guys at the stables could have held on to that, they would have been dead !

If what you say is true Jackbox, you had better come up to Northamptonshire and speak to the sheep farmers round here who use them. Some use just the ordinary battery operated ones, but some use the really high voltage ones connected up to the nearest electricity, and there is a ruddy great warning notice on this stile warning walkers to be very careful crossing the stile !! Guess who was the stupid idiot who didn't see or read the notice, because she was so busy looking to see if there were any mushrooms growing in the field !!

Sorry to argue with you, but you are talking nonsense !
Not many sheep farmers use electric fencing. It is more commonly used for cows/horses. No need with sheep.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

06-06-2009, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Just to play devil's advocate, who uses electric fencing for horses? And, if you do, how can you justify using it?
I think they using of e/fencing for cows and horses is worlds apart from the use of an e.collar on a dog.

1) land management is one of the reasons for the use, if you have only a small amount of land, you will need to rotate and rest the pasture otherwise the horse/cow will eat /churn the lot up ay once, leaving none for the folowing winter/summer.

2) Some ponies need to be on starvation paddocks, (Laminitis and such) so again you will need to rotate the pasture, weighing up the fence or the well being of the horse being either in a restricted paddock or confined to a stable

3) It is impossible to erect portable sold fencing, moving it around every couple of weeks , to maintain land management or welfare of the animal

Overserving over many yrs the use of e.fencing on pasture land , has shown me, that most large animals will within a miniscule of time work out to stay away from it.

The onus being on THEM working it out for themselves... once bitten , and all that.... Most horse will be able to pick up a vibration/hum or something, that the fence is live.

If you ever watch a horse in a field and how it reacts to a fence on to when it is off, you will see what I mean..

The other major point is that the horse/cow. has a choice, they learnt by default to respect the fence..

Well some do, unless you get a little git like one of my old ponies, whether the fence was on or off, he would limbo under it... the only way you know (from afar) if it was live or not , was by his backside bobbing up and down.

They dont have something wrapped around their neck, and pain inflicted on demand from a human who is trying to educate it for what ever reason.

Not many sheep farmers use electric fencing. It is more commonly used for cows/horses. No need with sheep.
Excellent point, never seen any e/fencing round sheep fields..usually sheep (wire) fencing.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2009, 11:17 AM
I only ever saw it used for sheep when I was in Somerset!
Becky
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2009, 11:33 AM
I saw it used for sheep in derbyshire last week. So did Tango.

I do think there is a difference between electric fencing and a shock collar though. I don't like electric fencing at all though.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2009, 11:54 AM

Humm....our farmer seems to disagree
Page 21 of 45 « First < 11 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 31 > Last »