Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
A copy of the certificate will go to the vets hun, and even if it didn't they will asked it's faxed to them.
There no problems tracking it down, plus as Shona or Jackbox said it will be all printed up so it will be so easy to get your hands on.

Didn't someone say earlier about it being able to be viewed on line at some point? Perhaps you could print that off then at least you will have a copy. I will keep my eye out for you.
Elaine
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-05-2009, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
So we all have an idealized perception of what its like to own a dog, the clean little thing trotting round nicely on the end of the lead, coming back when called, playing when asked, and then going home to curl up in a bed at the side of the fire and coming for a cuddle when asked,, lovely dream isn't it??

I'm not saying that this doen't happen with some but the reality is with most it doesn't

I know you can make this work, you just have to relax a bit and change your life to fit around Woody's needs and stop trying to fit him to a perception of wht you think he should be, you can mould him so much but he still needs to develope his ow personallity and this is the time for him to do it, i agree the food thing needed looking at but all pups go through a stage where they think they can use their teeth to get what they want, and thats up to us to nip it in the bud, but for me the rest is just time and maturity.

Someone else said that they grow up too quick, and for me thats true, just enjoy his babyhood and the rest will come trust me
Sorry if this annoys anyone but I am going to say it anyway. I vowed to keep away from Woody posts, too many questions/too much advice/too much chopping and changing with training methods and no consistency leads to a confused and frustrated dogs.

I said in a previous thread I thought too much restriction for a working breed could lead to big problems and that Woody was still a baby and needed the chance to just 'potter around being a puppy', this means leaving a puppy to amuse itself while watching discreetly from a distance/giving the odd word of praise and distracting when the puppy may be doing something which could be harmful.
Reading about Woody is like reading about one of those children who has every moment of this life regimented. ballet/violin lessons/swimming etc and never a moment to play in the mud and to 'just be a child'.

Pidge has had some excellent advice on here over the months and seems to have picked the bits which suited and ignored others. Added to this has been the advice of various friends and trainers, no wonder the puppy is stressed and confused, I would be in his position.

I am sorry is this sounds like criticism, it is not intended to be it is an observation and I do realise Pidge has tried to do her best . I think now would be a good time to sit back and take stock (and this includes looking at what has already happened and may have contributed to the problem instead of just dismissing it and saying that is in the past now) and to realise that Woody is a puppy and needs a calm stable routine/ consistency/ and the chance to be a puppy.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

16-05-2009, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post

The main thing is, things are getting better. He's a lot calmer and more controllable, I'm alot calmer and the home is alot happier lately. Mind over matter I think.

Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Glad everything has taken a U turn for you, and he is now become calmer and more controllerable.

Agree with Stevie,

I am so glad Woody issues from your origanal post , are now under control, and you are a happy household with a calmer Woody
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

16-05-2009, 09:32 AM
Minni, tried to give you a reppie, but wont allow me too

Excellent post..
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Agree with Stevie,

I am so glad Woody issues from your origanal post , are now under control, and you are a happy household with a calmer Woody
Dito. Glad you have managed to turn this around so quickly with woody again,.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Sorry if this annoys anyone but I am going to say it anyway. I vowed to keep away from Woody posts, too many questions/too much advice/too much chopping and changing with training methods and no consistency leads to a confused and frustrated dogs.

I said in a previous thread I thought too much restriction for a working breed could lead to big problems and that Woody was still a baby and needed the chance to just 'potter around being a puppy', this means leaving a puppy to amuse itself while watching discreetly from a distance/giving the odd word of praise and distracting when the puppy may be doing something which could be harmful.
Reading about Woody is like reading about one of those children who has every moment of this life regimented. ballet/violin lessons/swimming etc and never a moment to play in the mud and to 'just be a child'.

Pidge has had some excellent advice on here over the months and seems to have picked the bits which suited and ignored others. Added to this has been the advice of various friends and trainers, no wonder the puppy is stressed and confused, I would be in his position.

I am sorry is this sounds like criticism, it is not intended to be it is an observation and I do realise Pidge has tried to do her best . I think now would be a good time to sit back and take stock (and this includes looking at what has already happened and may have contributed to the problem instead of just dismissing it and saying that is in the past now) and to realise that Woody is a puppy and needs a calm stable routine/ consistency/ and the chance to be a puppy.
MINI .................a Excellent post well done xxxxxxx

I agree about the child and regimented life.....thats why I posted what I did yesterday. I have been watching ''every'' post that Pidge has put up and that is exactly how I saw it too......which is why I said it makes my head buzz.....god knows what is is doing to poor old Woody

As i said too, Bruce is 17 months and luckily for him....I wouldn't dream of overloading him like this......he's still enjoying his ''childhood''
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post

I don't take this as criticism at all. I take it for what it is, factual.

I said ages ago we were too regimented with him and too intense. We've backed off, calmed down and things are much better. We were also not consistent with him at all which must have been a nightmare for him!

In fact this morning for the first time ever when Neil and I sat down for brekkie he popped himself off onto his bed, had a snooze and when we finished then came over with a toy in his mouth and jumped up for cuddles.

He is still a very strong willed puppy and because of that we do have to set (and stick to!!) certain boundaries and for the time being he is not allowed in the bedroom at all or on ''our'' sofa but this will certainly change!! I miss my Mummy cuddles ;o)

Bear in mind though guys this is only the first few weeks and we are approaching this with ''little steps''.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Minni, tried to give you a reppie, but wont allow me too

Excellent post..
I was allowed lol!
Becky
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 11:02 AM
Guys

Just a quick note re the ''fun'' part. Have any of you seen my pictures of all the fun walks we do and the swimming and the different places and experiences we explore? That puppy couldn't have more of a fun life!

I do think there is a tendency for a) people to mainly post about the problems (like I have) and b) people on forums to only read and pay interest to the problems.

Anyway, I understand it's confusing for people to give advice when they don't know the dog or the owner as it is just a forum with typed words after all.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Guys

Just a quick note re the ''fun'' part. Have any of you seen my pictures of all the fun walks we do and the swimming and the different places and experiences we explore? That puppy couldn't have more of a fun life!

I do think there is a tendency for a) people to mainly post about the problems (like I have) and b) people on forums to only read and pay interest to the problems.

Anyway, I understand it's confusing for people to give advice when they don't know the dog or the owner as it is just a forum with typed words after all.
Pidge....again not a criticism.....but I think that may well be because there have been more ''negative'' posts from you than ''positive'' ''fun'' ones.

I have to say if i don't want advice i don;t ask....whether that be about the dogs or the children I foster.
If i go to a support meeting and ask for a ''case'' advice....then i have to expect to hear what i am doing wrong as well as what i am doing right, and I have to expect to be bombarded with advice too.

I have seen people like Shona, Mini, Wys give you excellent advice and I have seen you also say I am only listening to the behaviourist and trainer....which is probally right for you. And personally I think that is the best way to go, rather than ask here then dismiss things as ''that is past now'', as you said eariler ''these were things happening weeks ago'' yet you only posted more about Woody's behaviour on 11.5.09.....so you can see why people get frustrated.

I think as i said ....stick to your behaviourist and trainer...then you, woody and the kind people on this forum won't be confused hun.

All the best...and love to Woody
Closed Thread
Page 31 of 44 « First < 21 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 41 > Last »