Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

02-01-2009, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I have had the privilage of handling pellow a couple of times for Lovezois, I got my first BOB with this handsome boy I have to say, Now given this dog didnt know me well, he went in to the ring with me and because he enjoys what he does and is well trained he did it all for me, I mearly was there to hold the lead, he loves what he does, making it easy for me to work with him,.

aWW Shucks Shona, you will be giving him a big head.
Freyja
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-01-2009, 05:34 PM
Anyone who thinks dogs don't like showing wants to come to my house the morning of a show. As soon as they hear me getting up they start and only shut up whilst they are eating their breakfast. I have to put the dogs that are going into the car early as the others howl because they want to come too and I have to settle them back down before I can go out.

I have whippets and greyhounds and they all love to go to shows they certainly do not like to be the one left behind
BriGoose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-01-2009, 07:56 PM
Our ridgeback who passed away of old age 4 years ago we had had since a puppy. My mother had bought her from a breeder at full price, as the weeks went past she realised that her face was deformed, this had not been apparent when she was just a puppy. So she rang the breeder up and told her and asked if she could have money knocked off but that she still wanted to keep her. The breeder said 'oh thats awful im so sorry, bring her in and we will destroy her and you can have pick of the next litter' by mother repeated that she just wanted discount but the woman kept refusing saying that she didnt want a ridgeback walking around with her name and lines that was deformed. my mother was appalled by this and after a rather long argument managed to get abit of money back, but not much.
I like to call the woman ridgeback hitler.
But yes i have heard of lots of breeders being like this, they seem to get obsessed and forget that, what they are actually handling and making money from is infact LIVING!! just like them.
I dont think there is anything wrong with showing ,separated from everything else and i cant really comment about it because i dont know much about it. do they do mixed breed showing?
Its more the breeding i think that is the problem.
Its abit like the modelling industry, always striving for the size 0 model and models dying in the process, whilst the other average sized people are deemed as unattractive. Alot of breeders i have met have been like this with cross breeds.
Shih_Tzu_Lover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-01-2009, 11:39 AM
Thankyou 'BRIGOOSE'.

Alot of people dont believe me when i tell them about ridgebacks xx

Good your mother stood her ground x
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2009, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by Shih_Tzu_Lover View Post
Thankyou 'BRIGOOSE'.

Alot of people dont believe me when i tell them about ridgebacks xx

Good your mother stood her ground x

I dont really understand what you mean about 'telling people' about Ridgebacks?
There are bad breeders in every breed and RR have there share apparently but there are also great breeders.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2009, 11:47 AM
Well I am sorry, but the circles I associate with would never resort to those actions(PTS a dog) because it dosnt fit the breed standard, or has some sort of deformity unless it was life theatening or the dogs quality of life was effected. I certainly wouldnt do it that for sure, and there are MANY that wouldnt, there are bad and good in all walks of life.

Mo
BriGoose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-01-2009, 01:36 PM
I agree that there will be good breeders out there, just havnt met any yet!
Her deformity was minor and didn't effect her at all, it was simply that her lip was longer on one side but she never showed any signs of being in pain by it, she enjoyed her food more than the others did.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2009, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by BriGoose View Post
Her deformity was minor and didn't effect her at all, it was simply that her lip was longer on one side but she never showed any signs of being in pain by it, she enjoyed her food more than the others did.
I dont think anyone would argue that this wasn't terrible and thank goodness your mum didnt hand her back but I have met a lot of good breeders of RRs who wouldn't dream of acting in this way.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-01-2009, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by BriGoose View Post
So if the deformity was so minor , why would you want money knocked of the price you had already paid!!

Surely if the pup is healthy and you love her just as much as before the deformity was noticed.. and no medical costs where likely in the future , I am at a loss to see why you would be after a discount.

And maybe that is why the breeder was they way she was with you.

I understand you informing the breeder of the condition.. as any good breeder would wish to know of any health issues cropping up in their dogs...

And I also understand the breeder offering to take the pup back, so she /he can asses the severity of the illness.

We don't know how bad it is or was ,and maybe the breeder felt the deformity was going to interfere with the dogs quality of life.. hence her saying she would have it PTS.

I dont know , just playing devils advovote here.

And to be honest, if I was a breeder and I received a concern from a puppy buyer , asking for a discount in their first conversation, I also would want to get my hands back on said pup.

So I dont understand why you say this breeder is not reputable , when she has offerd 1) another pup, 2) to take the pup back... and I am guessing she suggested having the dog pts, on the face of your phone call.. and untill she saw the pup for herself , maybe she would realise that the deformity was not as bad as you first suggested.

There are good and bad breders in all breeds..it is not exculsive to RR..

If as you say , all she was interested in was her repution, then she is not the sort of breeder one would consider ethical.

But if she was concerned for the welfare of the dog , I would say she acted responible..
Freyja
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-01-2009, 05:29 PM
I have a whippet pup at the moment I bred her and also have her mum dad and brother and sister. Jude carries her head tilted to one side especially when she is after attention.

Why does she do this? She was seriously ill when she was 12 weeks old. She had coccidiousis and as at the vets on a drip for a week. Never once did having her PTS occur to me if there was a chance she would survive I would fight for her. She has now completely recovered although she is a little smaller than her sister and looks at you with her head tilted due to the fact that she lost most of her muscle and now has more muscle on one side of her neck than the other. The vet thinks she should recover completely but may still twist her head through habit. If I do not find a suitable home were she will be loved and given back the love that she has to give then she will stay with me.I would never consider having her PTS she is the most loving and affectionate bitch I have ever known.

Saying all this I do not know of any whippet breeders who would have a puppy PTS unless it was ill and stood no chance of survival.
Page 5 of 15 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »