Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
workinggsd
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-07-2008, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I still don't understand how the UK police forces manage to train their high drive dogs to a very high standard without the use of a prong?
An awful lot go to dog sport clubs and train, and suprise suprise they also use pinch collars in training
mandydog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-07-2008, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
imo.
Why do you add this to every post?

If it means, as I think it might, "in my opinion", it is superfluous as you are hardly going to post something which is not.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2008, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by mandydog View Post

If it means, as I think it might, "in my opinion", it is superfluous as you are hardly going to post something which is not.
I think knowing westie like I do its her way of saying,, just that,,"in my opinion" but also it means {sorry if im wrong but Im thinking I wont be} others have the right to there opinion too! eg there may be no right or wrong, just a diff of opinion
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2008, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by mandydog View Post

I can add that to my posts if I want to. I don't add it to every post.

I post that it's "imo" often on very serious subjects.

I could be posting something to inform someone of anothers opinion, and not just my own, or perhaps quoting something or stating what someone else said. Also so that people know that it's just my opinion, and not neccessarily a "correct" answer to a certain question, just what I think to be right, other people could and will think differently and have their own opinions, which they are entitled to of course, it's just that I may or may not agree.

Hope this clarifies why I add "imo" to some of my posts.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2008, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I think knowing westie like I do its her way of saying,, just that,,"in my opinion" but also it means {sorry if im wrong but Im thinking I wont be} others have the right to there opinion too! eg there may be no right or wrong, just a diff of opinion
Thanks Shona, just spotted this. You are right, imo.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2008, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
It was at the time of Acer`s killing that the bloodied prongs were found, [ same training centre ], and were banned for police use as a result. These are some of the details which led to it being looked into :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/204137.stm

I think Moobli was pointing out the irony that without prongs being used, UK police dogs are at the top of the scale so to speak
Oh, Patch. I didn't know about this. Thanks, sort of, for posting the link and informing me of this. How very sad.
workinggsd
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-07-2008, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Oh, Patch. I didn't know about this. Thanks, sort of, for posting the link and informing me of this. How very sad.
Very Sad
Need to cut off peoples legs, as a dog being KICKED to death here in the uk, is quite common place
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-07-2008, 07:04 PM
A little note on prongs and choke collars

http://www.cobankopegi.com/prong.html
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2008, 02:03 AM
Originally Posted by Heldengebroed View Post
A little note on prongs and choke collars

http://www.cobankopegi.com/prong.html
That site is old news

To refer to a portion of it from the link, [ my comments in bold ] :

A short list of people/dog teams that have benefited from the use of prong collars.

* Small people with large dogs.

A body harness would suffice, or simple flat collar, in either case what`s key is training

* Any person with a dog that seems calm but suddenly bursts into action in some circumstances.

A body harness and training would suffice, enabling complete control but without causing pain or stress to the dog if the handler who knows their dog might do that is still not ready for it when it happens

* People with dogs that are pullers. (dogs choke/gag on a slip collar or ignore a buckle collar)

A body harness and training would not only suffice but the correct harness correctly fitted is ideal

* Disabled people with limited strength or range-of-motion to properly 'snap' correct a dog wearing a slip collar. A light touch is all that is needed.

A body harness would suffice, [ I am partially disabled and have ex pullers, all thanks to harnesses and training ]

Sometimes the collars are put into a cloth tube (like a scrunchy).

Whoop de doo

* Persons with dogs with damaged trachea or collapsing tracheas.

No dog with either condition should ever be walked by collar - any collar. No good vet would ever sanction collar-to lead of any sort for affected dogs, they recommend harness.

* Persons 'fine-tuning' a dog's responses to commands.

If a dog has already learned to a standard where only fine tuning is required and without needing to use a prong to get that far, [ like most of the high level training population seem to manage for ], they certainly should`nt `need` to stoop to using one by then.

* Bouncy puppies that are difficult to control in any other collars.

That`s probably 99% of all puppies then And yet most people manage perfectly well with a flat collar, or better than that for a bouncy pup, a body harness.

* Walking more than one of these dogs at the same time -- you don't want ride your belly like a skate board while 200 or 300 some pounds of Anatolian in a team or troika take off with you.

Then they should be walked - and trained - individually until easy to walk together - or use harnesses of course for times when solo walks are not possible until a good level of training is achieved, [ preferably the training done in harness anyway ].

* Walking a large protective dog at night in an area where the normally calm dog is walking high on his toes, ready to react before you are. He is on 'predator alert'.

Yet again, a body harness enables complete control - and training. Would also advise to walk the dog somewhere else or before dark until good level of training achieved.

Next ?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2008, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
That site is old news

To refer to a portion of it from the link, [ my comments in bold ] :

A short list of people/dog teams that have benefited from the use of prong collars.

* Small people with large dogs.

A body harness would suffice, or simple flat collar, in either case what`s key is training

* Any person with a dog that seems calm but suddenly bursts into action in some circumstances.

A body harness and training would suffice, enabling complete control but without causing pain or stress to the dog if the handler who knows their dog might do that is still not ready for it when it happens

* People with dogs that are pullers. (dogs choke/gag on a slip collar or ignore a buckle collar)

A body harness and training would not only suffice but the correct harness correctly fitted is ideal

* Disabled people with limited strength or range-of-motion to properly 'snap' correct a dog wearing a slip collar. A light touch is all that is needed.

A body harness would suffice, [ I am partially disabled and have ex pullers, all thanks to harnesses and training ]

Sometimes the collars are put into a cloth tube (like a scrunchy).

Whoop de doo

* Persons with dogs with damaged trachea or collapsing tracheas.

No dog with either condition should ever be walked by collar - any collar. No good vet would ever sanction collar-to lead of any sort for affected dogs, they recommend harness.

* Persons 'fine-tuning' a dog's responses to commands.

If a dog has already learned to a standard where only fine tuning is required and without needing to use a prong to get that far, [ like most of the high level training population seem to manage for ], they certainly should`nt `need` to stoop to using one by then.

* Bouncy puppies that are difficult to control in any other collars.

That`s probably 99% of all puppies then And yet most people manage perfectly well with a flat collar, or better than that for a bouncy pup, a body harness.

* Walking more than one of these dogs at the same time -- you don't want ride your belly like a skate board while 200 or 300 some pounds of Anatolian in a team or troika take off with you.

Then they should be walked - and trained - individually until easy to walk together - or use harnesses of course for times when solo walks are not possible until a good level of training is achieved, [ preferably the training done in harness anyway ].

* Walking a large protective dog at night in an area where the normally calm dog is walking high on his toes, ready to react before you are. He is on 'predator alert'.

Yet again, a body harness enables complete control - and training. Would also advise to walk the dog somewhere else or before dark until good level of training achieved.

Next ?

Page 10 of 11 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 >