View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2008, 07:09 PM
Indeed he is not, Patch, and I have said frequently before how I do not consider him to be so
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2008, 07:14 PM
So, its ok for you to critisise the neuter ethos and you will argue to the hilt on it, [ oh by the way, you seem to have forgotten to comment on neutering for dogs with prostate problems for which the most suitable treatment is castration, perhaps you forgot to comment - just a gentle nudge there as you reminded me to comment on something you had said which you felt I`d ignored ], but no one is allowed to critisise his so called training methods because you like them ?

Interesting way of thinking
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2008, 07:46 PM
Sorry, I was kicked off the pooter by OH and had to wrap up quick.

The vet's advice was temporary castration (chemically) to reduce the prostate, and it worked. When everything returned to normal as it were, the prostate never enlarged again.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2008, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Sorry, I was kicked off the pooter by OH and had to wrap up quick.

The vet's advice was temporary castration (chemically) to reduce the prostate, and it worked. When everything returned to normal as it were, the prostate never enlarged again.

I don`t recall asking about a specific dog, I am aware that you were`nt prepared to have Hals enlarged prostate treated by castration because you wanted another litter off him so had I meant him I woud have said so at the time of asking the original question, I only refer to him now as you brought him up.

I was referring to a common condition which affects many entire dogs for whom castration is advised.

Why, if you are so agreeable with Mr Milans methods, do you disagree with him on something so fundamental as castration ? It just seems odd that you consider his thinking on it to be flawed yet can`t accept the flaws others see in his methods ?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2008, 08:12 PM
Whoah up there Patch! Whoever said that I didn't want to have Hal castrated because I wanted another litter from him? I would never ever have had Hal castrated, whether I wanted to breed from him or not, unless for a medical reason. You really must stop putting words and actions into people's mouths for them !

Hal didn't have "a common condition". His prostate was temporarily enlarged, and a temporary procedure was followed to reduce it. End of story. And it worked.

Look, I just don't know how many times I have to say this before you understand. I DO NOT LIKE CHOPPING BITS OFF DOGS UNNECESSARILY. There, is that clear now?

If I wanted a dog without testicles, I would buy or adopt a bitch. I find it rather strange that people buy a male pup, and then go and chop off his bits as soon as he is old enough. It's their choice of course, but it is not mine, and I am entitled to my choice. If there is a medical reason for castration, or some other sound reason for castration, then that is of course entirely different. But willey nilley, for no good reason other than a whim, I personally think it is appalling. That is my own personal opinion of course, you obviously hold a completely different opinion, fair enough. Each to his own. But I am proud to say that I buried my dog in my own back garden under my own hawthorn tree with his tackle entire.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2008, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Whoah up there Patch! Whoever said that I didn't want to have Hal castrated because I wanted another litter from him?
You did.

I would never ever have had Hal castrated, whether I wanted to breed from him or not, unless for a medical reason. You really must stop putting words and actions into people's mouths for them !
He had an enlarged prostate, [ medical reason for most dogs...], but you wanted another litter from him, therefore he did`nt get castrated. Thats from your words, not mine :smt102

Hal didn't have "a common condition". His prostate was temporarily enlarged, and a temporary procedure was followed to reduce it. End of story. And it worked.
Sorry, enlarged prostate is common in entire dogs which you also said yourself. I`ve highlighted the relevant comments below :

Latest medical news is that they are operating on him right now. He has kidney stones in his bladder which they are removing. It is a dangerous and tricky operation, so he is not out of the woods yet, but I am keeping everything crossed, TW has sent Tawney to watch over him, Nadia and Lyn B have sent positive messages via TW, so its just stand by the phone and wait for the best.

Hal's own vet is not doing the op, but she thought that he had a swollen prostate. That diagnosis probably still stands, its just an x-ray revealed these stones as well. The swollen prostate is caused by Hal being such an arsey little git - a surfeit of testosterone quite common in entire males apparently. The remedy is of course castration, but the vet would prefer to put him on something that will reduce his testosterone without making him infertile so that we can have at least one more litter out of him before castrating him, which is the safest option of course. But for the moment he has to survive a bladder operation which is always dangerous and tricky, so fingers crossed and please everyone send positive thoughts to hal - and darling Tawney who is watching over him.

Bless you TW for your support - you are a true friend and I don't know what I would have done without you. Nadia and Lyn if you read this, I will catch up with you later as soon as I can.

love to everyone,

nikki
Look, I just don't know how many times I have to say this before you understand. I DO NOT LIKE CHOPPING BITS OFF DOGS UNNECESSARILY. There, is that clear now?
Obviously its clear as you can`t breed from castrated dogs, [ or hybrids of course ], and you like to breed. Though getting hips scores done does`nt involve chopping bits off, so I don`t understand why you did`nt have that done before breeding....

If I wanted a dog without testicles, I would buy or adopt a bitch.
So long as you can breed, right ?

I find it rather strange that people buy a male pup, and then go and chop off his bits as soon as he is old enough.
Its called being responsible, particularly for rescue dogs and crossbreeds.

It's their choice of course, but it is not mine, and I am entitled to my choice. If there is a medical reason for castration, or some other sound reason for castration, then that is of course entirely different.
An enlarged prostate is medical reason.

But willey nilley, for no good reason other than a whim, I personally think it is appalling.
Not as appalling as breeding from rescue dogs and crossbreeds - just my opinion of course.

That is my own personal opinion of course, you obviously hold a completely different opinion, fair enough. Each to his own. But I am proud to say that I buried my dog in my own back garden under my own hawthorn tree with his tackle entire.
You seem rather pre-occupied with dogs tackle, but as you say, each to their own.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2008, 01:37 AM
I've fostered a dog who's owner used the CM methods, and he was a bundle of nerves. I'm not saying his methods don't work, but in this instance, it didn't. I had a nervous, highly strung dog on my hands and although his breeding played a big part in it all, I don't think CM's methods helped.

I adopted a different approach to this dogs training, and reaped the benefits tenfold. He could actually be let off lead without the risk of running off.

Believe me, seeing the difference in different training methods is amazing. Lupin could finally enjoy his off lead runs, without me worrying about him legging it
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2008, 10:42 AM
i always thought that part of CMs happy pack/him Alpha method etc, was to get all the dogs done so it would take away any sexual tension lead battles?between him & the dogs & the dogs within the pack?

& furthermore on his "clients" dogs to make them more "receptive" to the methods by trying to remove the sex drive & the problems that come with it?

Out of his own "pack" of redzoners are most of them netured?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2008, 10:44 AM
Hi Wolfie: nice to hear from you again. Interesting what you say, because knowing Lupin's breed I am very surprised that CM's methods didn't work. I wonder if the previous owner was following his way correctly ... there is a lot more to CM than just tssting and mimicing the bite of a bitch. A lot of people seem to think this is all there is to it.

However, assuming the previous owner did use his methods correctly, they obviously didn't work from what you say, whereas you worked wonders with him. I guess whatever method you use you have to believe in it wholeheartedly else the dog will pick up on your doubt and negativity.

Love to you and the guys xx
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2008, 11:01 AM
Interesting points mishflynn. I think apart from Daddy, most of his own dogs appear to be castrated for exactly the reasons that you state. I haven't considered what I would do with a whole pack of entire males kept in the way of CM's guys. I think in those circumstances I would probably have to swallow my principles and castrate. If I just had a few entire males living with me in the house, I would like to think, as alpha myself, I wouldn't need to castrate to take away the sexual tensions. I would be able to maintain peace and harmony myself (well, that's the theory anyway !!)

Incidentally, the old BC who moved in on us a few years ago, he was castrated, but he became the boss between himself and Hal. This was SO fascinating, but Hal cow- towed to him regarding who was going to lay next to us humans, the BC was always pinching Hal's food, and Hal just let him, and so on and so forth. I like to think Hal was showing the old boy respect, because every time he growled at Hal, Hal submitted. (A very well balanced dog, was our Hal, and I know in my bones I have lost the love of my life and will never find another like him).

Sorry, going off track again. I don't know the answer to your question about his red zoners, maybe Borderdawn does ?
Closed Thread
Page 66 of 70 « First < 16 56 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 > Last »