Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2007, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by surannon View Post
Well, dogs do actually do things other than show

Working gundogs, obedience dogs, agility dogs, herding dogs, hunting dogs, the list goes on. As long as you are breeding for the betterment of that breed (which can mean things OTHER than showing) I see no problem with it. The problems arise when people breed from any old dog just because they want puppies. That is NEVER a good enough singular reason to breed IMO.

Debs
I agree, however breeding from a Champion Agility dog, doesn't mean you are bettering the breed !!

You need to be breeding from dogs which conform to standard, and none of the above do that.
Paddywack
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2007, 12:51 PM
So you have in order;

Puppy Farmers

Back Yard Breeders

Fake Ethical breeders

Ethical Breeders

The first 3 are all considered unethical. Have I got that right?
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2007, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
I agree, however breeding from a Champion Agility dog, doesn't mean you are bettering the breed !!

You need to be breeding from dogs which conform to standard, and none of the above do that.

So are you saying that none of the packs of foxhounds, etc should ever be bred from? (Regardless of personal views re: hunting ) or none of the dogs who work day in day out for gamekeepers/shooting/picking up/etc should ever be bred from?

I'm all for showing, I think that's perfectly clear from my previous posts But it's not the only thing one should bear in mind when breeding from a dog. In a perfect world all breeds should be able to do the job they were created to do. But we all know that, due to showing, there are some breeds who could no longer effectively do what they were bred to do. But these dogs will match up to the breed standard in most ways and will still be seen by a fair few show judges as being 'up to standard'. Yes I do agree that they should bare at least a passing resemblance to their breed but showing isn't the only way to judge a dog.

As for none of the mentioned dogs conforming to their standard - there are some in every field I've mentioned who certainly do conform and would make decent showdogs!

All I can hope for is that dogs are independantly judged, in whatever field they excel in, to be of sufficient merit as to warrant passing on their genes.

Debs
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2007, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by Paddywack View Post
So you have in order;

Puppy Farmers

Back Yard Breeders

Fake Ethical breeders

Ethical Breeders

The first 3 are all considered unethical. Have I got that right?

Looks right to me!

Debs
Paddywack
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2007, 01:10 PM
Looks right to me!

Debs
Thank you Debs :smt001

Can I ask why everyone was having a go at AnneUK when she was calling the "fake" ethical breeders "so called" ethical breeders, is this not the same thing?
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2007, 01:30 PM
Thank you Debs :smt001

Can I ask why everyone was having a go at AnneUK when she was calling the "fake" ethical breeders "so called" ethical breeders, is this not the same thing?
It would be far better to call them UNethical and not 'fake ethical' or 'so called ethical'. To use the term 'so called ethical breeders' may put unfounded doubt in the mind of someone looking for an ethical breeder. It's a case of tarring people with the same brush really. Proper research will soon tell you they are one or the other and not 'so called' anything! Let's face it - breeders only really fall into two categories - ethical and unethical.

Debs
Paddywack
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2007, 01:32 PM
It would be far better to call them UNethical and not 'fake ethical' or 'so called ethical'. To use the term 'so called ethical breeders' puts doubt in the mind of someone looking for an ethical breeder that the person may be lying about what they are. Proper research will soon tell you they are one or the other and not 'so called' anything! Let's face it - breeders only really fall into two categories - ethical and unethical.

Debs
I think that only causes confusion though because there is a big difference between the 3 types of unethical breeders. Surely we should be honest about those fake ethical breeders who pass themselves off as ethical. they might be better than the back yard breeders and puppy farmers but certainly not as good as the true ethical breeders.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2007, 01:41 PM
I think that only causes confusion though because there is a big difference between the 3 types of unethical breeders. Surely we should be honest about those fake ethical breeders who pass themselves off as ethical. they might be better than the back yard breeders and puppy farmers but certainly not as good as the true ethical breeders.
I think you're missing the point !

Who cares, what the diferences are between the 3 Unethical ones ??? NOBODY should be buying from any of them full stop !!

No-one is being dishonest about them !! We are saying that people should buy a puppy from an Ethical breeder, and if people do all their research properly, they will find one, it's not rocket science
Paddywack
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2007, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
I think you're missing the point !

Who cares, what the diferences are between the 3 Unethical ones ??? NOBODY should be buying from any of them full stop !!

No-one is being dishonest about them !! We are saying that people should buy a puppy from an Ethical breeder, and if people do all their research properly, they will find one, it's not rocket science
It's not that easy to tell the difference between an ethical breeder and a fake ethical breeder. Owners are warned about back yard breeders and puppy farmers but don't seem to realise how many breeders out there pass themselves off as ethical when they're not.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2007, 01:46 PM
It's not that easy to tell the difference between an ethical breeder and a fake ethical breeder. Owners are warned about back yard breeders and puppy farmers but don't seem to realise how many breeders out there pass themselves off as ethical when they're not.
All 3 are not ethical because something along the way is missing, and if people do their research into the breed, they would discover who are the ethical ones and who are not !!

ALL of them pass themselves off as being ethical even the ones that advertise as being ethical, it still doesn't make them so, and if people look into their breed properly they will find out why.

It is to tell if you do the right research into your chosen breed.
Page 22 of 25 « First < 12 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 >