Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2007, 12:25 PM

Georgie and his blimmin ears!An op tomorrow

Had yet another visit to the vet this morning, because Georgie has gone funny again with his right ear. We finished the ab's last week, all was fine, no scratchin, happy, happy dog. Last night, head in the air, shaking his head, running around the house, couldn't settle, so luckily I had some Rimadyl she'd given me for emergencies like this. Whisked him off this morning to see the vet who has been dealing with these ear problems. I told her my gut instinct is that he has got something in his ear, which has gone deep inside and keeps getting infected and quite honestly, I think he's had this for a very, very long time, and the steroid jabs he used to have for his scratchin and ab's kept dampening it all down. She agreed with me. Tomorrow, he is booked in for an investigative surgery. They will look deep inside under aneasthetic, clean it out, take anything out they find, and do a swab as to the type of bacteria we are dealing with, plus an x-ray of the bone in his inner ear.

If it all goes pete tong, he will have to have a proper operation where they scrape all the bony area out from deep inside the inner ear, he will have a big hole in his neck as a permanent drain. When infections are long lasting, they invade the bone, and she thinks this is what may have happened. I am keeping everything crossed it hasn't happened, but I'm also thinking she might be right here. From the day we got him, he seemed to hang his head over to one side on numerous occasions, and hold his right ear down, but like I said earlier, all my vet's visits ended up in a steroid jab and ab's which obviously cured any ear problems for a while. Oh dear, oh dear, I knew it was too good to be true that we had a happy, bouncy dog, who wasn't scratching anymore! Poor little Georgie, I hope he's ok with the aneasthetic, and I hope they can cure it tomorrow just by taking a good look and clean inside his ear and he doesn't have to go through another major op. She said it will be real major surgery if they do
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2007, 12:38 PM
Oh my gosh it sounds horrendous I hope the "clean-out" op does the job. Poor Georgie-and you Hugs from me and doggie kisses from Minnie for Georgie

Cath
xx
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2007, 12:39 PM
Awwwww I wish they would get to the bottom of it all and soon.I once had my Amber (cocker) at the vets as she had a twig stuck up her nose.Made the app and by the time we took her along (a few hrs later) she couldn't see it. She said there was nothing there and maybe she had sneezed it out,sent her home with abs just incase of infection.Well my OH was shocked,2 hrs later the twig reappeared and was well sticking out and a wee tug and hey presto out it came.Just goes to show even vets miss things,xxxxxxxxxxx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2007, 12:39 PM
Thanks Cath, it is a bit worrying, even the thought of one aneasthetic, let alone major surgery, but it's the only way to go for the poor lad, I can't bear to see him in the pain he was a month ago with all this ear trouble.
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2007, 12:41 PM
Poor Georgie, hope everything goes ok tomorrow, will be thinking of you, big hugs to you and Georgie xoxoxox
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2007, 12:42 PM
Thanks Boobah. Yes, I think they should have investigated further a very long time ago. Again, it points to how useless his previous vet was to me! Remember the lameness that I took him along 4 times and got different diagnosis', only to find when I changed vets, that a forelimb limp can point to liver enlargement which the poor boy actually HAD!!! Grrrr, some vets!! At least this is a proper RCVS Hospital, so I'm sure they will now get to the bottom of it for him.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

11-10-2007, 12:42 PM
Poor Georgie and poor you hope all goes well and he doesn't need the major op.(((Hugs))).xx
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2007, 12:46 PM
Poor ol' Georgie

At least these vets sound like they know their stuff! Hoping that a simple investigaion and clean is all that will be needed.
Give him a hug from me (but mind his ear )
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2007, 12:51 PM
Awwwwwww more hugs coming your way H.
I think it's the best thing for him, I know a couple of dogs that have had this done and they have improved so much afterwards, it could explain a lot of his other symptoms too so I have everything crossed it goes just as well for him tomorrow. Please keep us posted. hugs.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2007, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Poor Georgie and poor you hope all goes well and he doesn't need the major op.(((Hugs))).xx
Thanks Lynn, but I think he might somehow

Originally Posted by beckyc View Post
Poor ol' Georgie

At least these vets sound like they know their stuff! Hoping that a simple investigaion and clean is all that will be needed.
Give him a hug from me (but mind his ear )
Lol! Yes I'll mind his ear, and thanks!!! He hasn't been squealing when you feel behind his ears for a whole month now that she sorted him out too!

Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Awwwwwww more hugs coming your way H.
I think it's the best thing for him, I know a couple of dogs that have had this done and they have improved so much afterwards, it could explain a lot of his other symptoms too so I have everything crossed it goes just as well for him tomorrow. Please keep us posted. hugs.
Thanks A, Do you really think so?? I'm glad you've got some experience of knowing dogs who have had this done, coz it just sounded soooo major to me, she even drew me a picture to help explain things. Like you though, I really do feel this might actually be the cause of all his itchiness because he didn't scratch either for a whole month, which is very strange behaviour for George! Awwww, I feel so very, very sorry for him, but what choice do I have really? None!
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »