Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
but you're lumping ALL breeders together and there is a very big difference believe me!
Becky
I know there is a difference, but we cant ignore the fact that there are just to many dogs out there for homes.
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Tinkladyv, if I may, perhaps you could take a deep breath and consider your approach ? I used to be the same as you, a few years ago, I would dive in with both feet and being very vocal - unfortunately I used to tar the ethical breeders with the same brush as the bad ones, at least thats how I came across, and the result was that no one listened to what I was trying to say
I can`t blame them, I said things in such a poor way, there was no two way communication, just me shouting a lot

The fact is, if the ethical breeders stopped breeding, there would be no health testing, so no healthy dogs being bred - and with the best will in the world even health testing is`nt a cast iron guarantee - thats why ethical breeders have contingencies to care for or carefully home pups born with health issues no matter how careful they are to avoid it, and why those same ethical breeders will take back any and every pup they have bred at any age if the owners have difficulties be it behavioural, financial, divorce, whatever.

What I would like to see [ which will never happen so no one need worry about the ramifications of me saying it anyway ], is a ban on all breeding for say two years - the numbers in rescues would drop dramatically if that happened, through none being irresponsibly bred and through more people adopting rather than wait at least two years for a puppy, though there would still be litters of accidental pups occurring, there always have and there always will be, unless there is legislation for compulsory neutering of all non-breeding quality highest calibre dogs.

We all know that won`t happen, humans are too quick to argue against legislation which should protect dogs, too many see it only as an affront to human `freedoms`.

So, we have to look at alternatives like education, weeding out puppy farmers and unethical breeders, tightening or at least enforcing existing laws on licensed breeding, [ I think every breeder should have to have a license imo ], and educating new owners.

No one will be educated however if they are just shouted at and not listened to in return, and frankly most people on Dogsey who breed do so with the highest ethics you could dream of for the pups they produce.

I do have rescues - 6 of them - purebreds and crossbreeds, and four are deaf, no I have never bred a litter and I never will, and while there is one single dog in a rescue needing a home I will never buy from a breeder no matter how ethical they are and no matter how much I would love to have a pup I could pick which is bred from the best lines ever, and I will always try to steer people toward rescue at every opportunity - but I won`t get people to consider adopting a rescue dog if I put a virtual gun to their heads, it just took me a while to realise that and I hope the same will happen for you.
If you can just think about how you get things across and can listen reasonably without pointing the finger at those who do get things right - those breeders who are side by side with me and the likes of me on hunting out and trying to stop the bad breeders, and educating people about neuter etc, of that I can assure you - then I would be pleased to welcome you to stand with us as well :smt001

But if you choose to continue to simply attack the way I used to myself, you will do more harm than good hun, I know, been there, done that, and needed a good kick up the backside to make me see where I was going wrong - thankfully there were people with the patience to help me temper the things I said - exactly the same as you are doing right now so I do understand where you are coming from - but I learned through their guidence to communicate much better on behalf of rescue dogs
Thank you, i completely take on board what you are saying and think you are right...it just makes me so mad, that numbers of dogs getting destroyed keeps going up and all i ever see are new people in the fields with their designer puppies and although they look at my campaign litrature and sympathise with my dogs lives before they were with me, it doesnt stop.
But i will stop now!

THNAK YOU
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by tinkladyv View Post
I know there is a difference, but we cant ignore the fact that there are just to many dogs out there for homes.
On that we all agree, so the good guys should be working against the bad guys not the good guys fighting. It's our love of our dogs and the welfare of dogs that has bought us all together on here.
Oh god i'm feeling a group hug coming on. I'm out of here
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by megan57collies View Post
TINKLADYV
Thankyou for your PM and the details I requested. I will do what I can but will keep everything anonymous and respect your wishes.
I would appreciate you letting me know the outcomes.
Mny many thanks for your help.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by tinkladyv View Post
I would appreciate you letting me know the outcomes.
Mny many thanks for your help.
Your very welcome
Go on then quick group hug.
Do'nt listen to PATCH, she's right we do actually ALL ignore her LOL only kidding PATCH I love ya.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

16-08-2007, 06:31 PM
Haven't read this thread, but understand it's about ethical breeding.

At the end of the day if a breeder does not adhere to the min standards set out in Breeders Charter (first draft of which you can find here) - then I would definitely recommend against people buying from them. I would also question their real motive to breed.

At the same time we are not interested in 'extremist' rescue views - because if we listened to those we'd have no breeds left.

When it comes to breeding, we support ethical, responsible breeding, and I think our Charter goes some way to help spell that out...
beauster
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-08-2007, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
You're missing my point, there wont be any dogs left for breeding if everyone stopped and all dogs were found homes. The domestic dog in the UK would become extinct, is that what you want?
Becky

i am not ANTI BREEDING i am PRO RESPONSIBLE BREEDING
i think that the people we need to stop are the people who churn out puppies without a care on where they go to
pepople who dont heart / health test
people who lie about health testing
people who continue breeding despite having been made aware by at least 2 of their new owners that their dogs have serious life limiting hereditary conditions
people who let 2 sires get to a dam and then register the pups despite not haing a clue who the real sire is
people who register litters of puppies in the name of a different bitch as the real dam has exceeded her maximum number of litters
people who tell lies to make innocent trusting people believe that they are a responsible ethical breeder!

i could go on for hours

when you have a truely responsible breeder, then thats a different thing all together, i bet if you stopped all the BYB's puppy farmers and rubbish breeders like details above, then there would still be enough dogs to go around. in the uk we destroy over 11000 dogs a year as there are no homes for them, the reason for that? all the tom dick & harrys of the day whacking out pups for £300 a go, fooling people into hinking they are dealing with a responsible breeder, when actually they are buying a dog with a life long & costlymedical condition, that will ultimatly limit the dogs lifespan. all for the sake of a £200 one off test.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 07:32 PM
If you have evidence to back all that up then report it to the relevant KC. If not then please don't take your vendetta out on this board.
Becky
beauster
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-08-2007, 07:35 PM
what vendetta?
i havent named anyone? im talking about the classic 'bad breeder' there are enough of them around.
and i have previously reported a number of situations like the above to the KC, as have the poor puppy owners ive dealt with. The KC are' monitoring' a number of situations, but we all know that probably not a lot will happen. i think that there should be a test. that would sort out the goodies from the baddies.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-08-2007, 07:44 PM
Your post does come over as a anti breeder.
I agree with what you have put, but at the same time it doesn't mean that any or all of the breeders on here as the type of breeders your against.
Just for the record. i'm not a breeder although i was going to start my own line going, and both my dogs had the relevant tests, my girls results are higher than i liked so it never happened, she is now spayed.
Page 11 of 32 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 > Last »