Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2007, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by suze View Post
what i meant was that anyone - intending to breed from a bitch - say like me - if idecided to breed from millie (i cant cos shes spayed ) but if i did - i should have a license - so then anytime the council or someone would want to chekc up on me they could - as someone said - all pups/dogs should be chipped so you can trace them - this would also prevent the problem of "your rescue centre has remhomed my dog without my knowlegde situations" - imo thats the way forward

they should say - as of jan 2008 every dog in the uk should be microchipped, if not and the dog strays, the owners will have to pay a 5000 fine or summet - this would encourage (well youd like to think) to be more responsible - if the dog strays - then the owners should be fined more to get them back as well -

Yes, yes and yes again ! Exactly how it should be !
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-06-2007, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Might a different dog to the one they are interested in be more suited to a `bubbly` family of youngsters ?
Perhaps the children in the home are so good [ and not just because they`ve been put in best behaviour mode ], that its clear a particular dog would be in a very nice environment indeed.
I personally also dont want to see a place look like a show home, I want to see that the family wont be up in arms if a muddy set of paws flew in and messed up the carpet or sofa.
Its important to see that fencing / boundary is secure and high enough.
This is one of the reasons why I think a blanket set of rules is not necessary. Like many breeders who breed rarely I can have a much stricter criteria than possibly a rescue will. I simply do not sell puppies to homes with young children. My purchasers are all experienced dog owners, generally in my breed or very similar, so will have the necessary set up to keep a dog happily to old age. This is established when meeting them and chatting informally about their history with the breed. At the interviews at my house their is amble opportunity to establish their attitutude to dog hairs
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-06-2007, 12:53 PM
Rescues regularly pay out vet bills and other expenses for horrific cases. If they charged adopters what a dog has cost the rescue, no one except the people on the Rich List could afford them...
Clearly they are not dependent on these palty "donations" or they would be out of business.
As it is a donation perhaps people could be asked if they still wish to donate it but it is the incentive side of the issue that concerns me.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2007, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by dougiepit View Post
AH go on go on go on go on go on

You know you really want to give me some more greenies
oooowwwwee yuk
dont sound so good when ya say it like that,

I wanted to give you some more very recently [ you`ll know for which thread I`m sure ] but I have to spread some around again first
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2007, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by Hewey View Post
Clearly they are not dependent on these palty "donations" or they would be out of business.
As it is a donation perhaps people could be asked if they still wish to donate it but it is the incentive side of the issue that concerns me.
From the time I posted the relevent links to the fast time you responded, what a shame you did`nt bother to read the details on them [ if you even clicked on the links at all, but if you did there certainly was`nt time for you to read the info on those cases, not even O`Niell in Stargate with the super-human making armband could have read that fast... ].

All I can say is that its a good job those of us who do adopt are less concerned with how much money is in our pockets than with the expensive medical care of the dogs in rescue which our donations go toward...

And yes, they do depend on these adoption donations, they are on a shoestring as it is, they desperately need every penny given whether from adoptions or a collecting pot on a street corner.

Spend a day volunteering at a rescue Hewey, just one day, ask how much each dogs care has cost be it food, heating, routine neuter, chipping, de-fleaing, worming, other medical need, transport to pick them up, taxes on premises, other running expenses, heck just the daily phone bill !
I really do feel a reality check on the costs incurred by rescues is needed
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2007, 01:14 PM
This is one of the reasons why I think a blanket set of rules is not necessary. Like many breeders who breed rarely I can have a much stricter criteria than possibly a rescue will. I simply do not sell puppies to homes with young children
And yet one of the main issues people have is that this or that rescue would not let them adopt because they have young children and a rescue they approached may have had a blanket ban of `no children` instead of considering them on an individual basis for an individual dog so they went to a breeder instead who was`nt bothered about them having children...
DanishPastry
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-06-2007, 01:14 PM
well said Patch.
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-06-2007, 01:20 PM
From the time I posted the relevent links to the fast time you responded, what a shame you did`nt bother to read the details on them [ if you even clicked on the links at all, but if you did there certainly was`nt time for you to read the info on those cases, not even O`Niell in Stargate with the super-human making armband could have read that fast... ].

All I can say is that its a good job those of us who do adopt are less concerned with how much money is in our pockets than with the expensive medical care of the dogs in rescue which our donations go toward...

And yes, they do depend on these adoption donations, they are on a shoestring as it is, they desperately need every penny given whether from adoptions or a collecting pot on a street corner.

Spend a day volunteering at a rescue Hewey, just one day, ask how much each dogs care has cost be it food, heating, routine neuter, chipping, de-fleaing, worming, other medical need, transport to pick them up, taxes on premises, other running expenses, heck just the daily phone bill !
I really do feel a reality check on the costs incurred by rescues is needed
I did not read all that because I think it has nothing to do with my point which is the incentives that could be created for certain rescues perhaps in not giving refunds. I appreciate you have your costs to cover, as reputable breeders do, but that is not the issue. The thread is looking at whether there are policies that some have that would improve homing success if adopted by others.
Edited to add. Don't forget if you follow my policy of deducting costs your rescue would not be out of pocket only lacking in a bit of extra gain.
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-06-2007, 01:25 PM
And yet one of the main issues people have is that this or that rescue would not let them adopt because they have young children and a rescue they approached may have had a blanket ban of `no children` instead of considering them on an individual basis for an individual dog so they went to a breeder instead who was`nt bothered about them having children...
What are you suggesting? That we should accept people that we think are unsuitable because someone else will give them a dog. I will always attempt to explain to people why I think their particular lifestyle is not suitable at this point in time, and I think some people do listen, but as you know some people will never accept this and will go elsewhere, which is why I believe we will always have irresponsible breeders and puppy farmers unfortunately but I do not feel me letting them have one of mine is the answer!
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2007, 01:30 PM
I did not read all that because I think it has nothing to do with my point which is the incentives that could be created for certain rescues perhaps in not giving refunds. I appreciate you have your costs to cover, as reputable breeders do, but that is not the issue. The thread is looking at whether there are policies that some have that would improve homing success if adopted by others.
If you had bothered to read the links you would have seen it is entirely relevent
Please Hewey, take the blinkers off.
All may be rosy in your world as far as being a breeder goes but there is a very big, bad, and extremely expensive other world - rescue - which you seem to be choosing not to see
Page 29 of 33 « First < 19 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 > Last »