Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2009, 09:14 PM

Cavity Wall Insulation

Well because I'm disabled we were offered free Cavity Wall Insulation.

Good idea! We thought. This house is so cold.

Not so! In order to do the Cavity Wall Insulation they have to make holes in the floor and walls to ensure carbon monoxide can get out if we have the fire on

So now we have all the cavity wall insulation in, but we have draughts coming up through the floor and the walls.

So I ask you, what was the point?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2009, 09:21 PM
Hi Dougie here.
Can You tell me what heating you have, eg, gas back boiler? real fire?.

Have you got a floor vent in now?
I take it they have fitted a core vent?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2009, 09:26 PM
reason for ventalation is:

once you put insulation in the walls, you do away with free air, eg drafts round your windows and sills etc.

thus if you have a certain type of heating, with no ventalation you will be killed by CO,

its required by law that these are fitted.. for saftey reasons.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-01-2009, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
reason for ventalation is:

once you put insulation in the walls, you do away with free air, eg drafts round your windows and sills etc.

thus if you have a certain type of heating, with no ventalation you will be killed by CO,

its required by law that these are fitted.. for saftey reasons.
Shona right, you need to have a form of ventilation i.e air vents... to circulate the air .
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2009, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Shona right, you need to have a form of ventilation i.e air vents... to circulate the air .
lol that was dougie...not me but its me now... dougie does CWI,
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2009, 09:58 PM
LOL Thanks guys -

When the guy came to look at it originally he said the fire was fine and no need for any vent.

When the guys came to put it in for us the other day, they said we did need a vent. Which they've now put in.

They explained it was for safety reasons etc, and I understand that, but it's now colder than it was before!
Surely there was no point!

It doesn't help that we already have drafts coming around the door and up through the floor so in our case, it would seem that CVI was rather pointless - it's certainly not saving us any energy as mum's had to put the fire on!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2009, 11:32 AM
now I could be wrong here, but dougie im sure said either a floor vent or a core vent in the wall was needed, but not both???? I will check with him though,

but what he did mention was......some companys are getting a tad greedy, the cost of fitting a core vent adds £160 to the bill, so some companys are fitting them just to up the profit.

as said I will check with him,

do you have a back boiler lottie?
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2009, 11:55 AM
We had CWI done a couple of years back. We didn't have any holes, vents, etc. done (that I am aware of). We don't have a proper fire though (just a pretend one that looks like a fire but not gas or anything). We do have gas central heating but the boiler is outside in it's own cupboard (big house and before we had the new boiler put in a few years back, the old one was enormous, like the size of a small chest freezer so hence why the outside cupboard for it). I presume in this circumstance, there would be no need for vents/holes, etc. Will have to get the OH to check that out. Have three kids so taking no chances now I've heard about the necessary vents, etc.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2009, 12:48 PM
again dont quote me but... we have a small combi boiler, so we have no core vents or floor vents,

but I think with the older back boilers or a real fire??? you need more vents,

but need to ask dougie, hes still at work just now.