View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2008, 04:17 PM

Do they think I'm made of time and money!?! (Rant!)

Argh!! I have been to a health promotion day at work today and had a lovely aromatherapy back massage.

I also got a "mini-healthcheck", which TBH, didn't tell me anything I didn't know. My blood pressure is sky high (173/118 ) and I am several stone overweight. I (obviously) know this.

What really got my goat was the advice I was offered. The people doing the checks were practice nurse type people and doctors, so I know they were qualified etc.

I asked for advice about how to lower my BP and lose weight. The advice I got was:
"Join a gym"
"Join weight watchers or slimming world"

When I said that neither of these things were possible, I was told to stop making excuses.

They asked me why I couldn't join a gym... here are my "excuses":
1) I can't afford it
2) The nearest gym is 40 minutes drive from me
3) With a full time job, a food-producing garden and 12 animals to care for, I don't physically have enough hours in the day to spend time on a treadmill

They asked me why I couldn't join a slimming club... here are my "excuses":
1) I can't afford the class or online fee
2) I can't afford to buy different foods etc, as our shopping budget is tiny
3) The nearest class is a 20 minute drive away, and again, I really haven't the time to spend doing it.

Apparantly, these aren't proper reasons not to be joining a gym and a slimming club.

The fact that we are just about managing on our current salaries, and haven't got room for luxuries like gyms etc was just pushed aside.

I was also told that maybe I should get rid of some of the animals if I didn't have enough time to exercise

Nothing was mentioned to me about actual healthy eating, or exercise I could do without joining a gym.

They couldn't comprehend the fact that from 6am to 11pm, I don't sit down, and I certainly don't have time to drive to a gym and spend an hour or so there. Nevermind the fact that with the money situation the way it is, a gym membership or slimming class subscription is a luxury I can't afford. I had to save up the whole year to have OH's birthday party and present; and we're thinking of starting to shop at Lidl or Aldi to cut some costs....

Argh!!

OK, phew, I feel better for getting that off my chest!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

24-09-2008, 04:23 PM
No wonder you feel angry, all you wanted was some practical advice to suit your busy life style, not a lecture.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2008, 04:39 PM
Stupid people! I hate going to the gym, i find it tedious, embarresing, uncomfortable, smell, cramped, smelly, predictable and expensive! How's that for a rant!

I far prefer to do free exercise in the real world like, walking the dog (fast), cycling, swiming (ok not free).
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2008, 04:51 PM
I hate people like that..... condescending.

I once went to my doctor with a cold..... it was because I was overweight, as was my excema, etc etc. He just had a thing about people who are overweight.

When I lost weight I couldn't imagine doing anything worse than being weighed and compared at any sort of slimming club so did it on my own.
Plus gyms are expensive, so I just had an exercise bike in the dining room, or walked etc.

I am now putting on weight again, which isn't a problem as my OH is feeding me up again lol

Just be happy with who you are and if you do want to change things do it for you, not because someone tells you you must.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2008, 05:02 PM
I could do with getting a bit well a LOT of weight off. Could we do a self help thingy, swap ideas recipes etc?
Koda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-09-2008, 05:10 PM
wow how ridiculouss!
Im overweight by about 2 stone....im 10stone right now so we should all start a thread and you can post weekly weigh takings, what you're eating and also how you're exercising , wud be good!!
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2008, 05:41 PM
Sounds like they undid all the good the massage would have done!!
Poor you!!

Originally Posted by Koda View Post
wow how ridiculouss!
Im overweight by about 2 stone....im 10stone right now so we should all start a thread and you can post weekly weigh takings, what you're eating and also how you're exercising , wud be good!!
me too.. can't diet till I'm finished breast feeding!
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2008, 08:27 PM
ive been on a low saturate diet for almost 3 yrs now. i walk regular. (when my health permits me) but i have a jolly good bash at it. i quit smoking and went into the menopause. and so ive put on loads of weight,but hey my colestrol levels are good
but have u tried the doctors they can put u on a diet that fits in with your life style.
good luck,
RRmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-09-2008, 08:33 PM
When we got Sydney I cancelled my gym membership - why would I want to spend a couple of hours out at the gym with a bunch of sweaty strangers when I could be out getting fresh air and walking with her.
Not much choice there then

(I only went for the cappucino at the end !!)
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2008, 09:43 PM
Sadly bedside manner seems to be a thing of the past.

Friend of mine is a GP and he hates those spot check things - he would tell you more than one reading needs to be done for it to be accurate. Any manner of stress could have put up your reading on the day.

My own GP was one of those "stop making excuses" people - until the day I told him his fortune. After that he ran every test imaginable and found out what was really wrong. (its not always weight)

I would go have a chat to your own GP.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >