Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2008, 11:52 PM

Advice needed please

As some of you know, my son Charlie, who is just 15, has got his first girlfriend and is quite chuffed with the whole idea of it at the mo.
So far, as he can't really travel on his own due to his recent back surgery, his girlfriend has travelled here twice on the train, and I've driven to the station, picked her up and then drove her home.
She lives about 15 miles away, and I've offered to do this right from the start as did not like the idea of any 15 year old girl travelling alone in the dark to come to see us or get home when I can see her home safely.

One time I offered to collect her from home, but her Mum drove her and dropped her off. My son says her Mum felt guilty I was doing all the driving lol, but I must say if she was my Daughter I'd like an idea of the sort of home she was going to. Anyway, her Mum was taking her little sister shopping so just dropped her and drove off.

So, Charlie has asked if she can come round this weekend as I am off work (and coz his wii was delivered on Monday lol).
Then he said 'She says her Mum wants to come round for a Mum to Mum chat'.

Now I haven't got a problem with that at all. I'd love to meet her so she can be reassured we're not axe murderers lol
But rather than her turn up here, with those two here too, I thought I might ring her up for a chat first, just to say hi and introduce myself. I have her number, god knows it's on my phone bill enough times lol.

Does this sound like a good idea, just so we aren't complete strangers when she comes round?

She has never met Charlie either as his girlfriend has come here but they've not been anywhere else together yet.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2008, 11:55 PM
Yeah that sounds like a good idea, just ring as if you're trying to make arrangements to meet up and take the conversation from there.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2008, 11:59 PM
See, I'm thinking that it'll work better if I make the initiative as getting any info from a 15 year old boy is a no goer.
'What's her Mums' name?' I don't know
'What does her Mum or Dad do?' I don't know, usually followed by grunting lol.
'Where do they live?' Near Sainsbury's.... they live no where near sainsbury's lol

See what I'm up against if I leave it to those two to arrange this!
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 12:29 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Yeah that sounds like a good idea, just ring as if you're trying to make arrangements to meet up and take the conversation from there.
Totally agree, hope it all goes well x
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 12:35 AM
Originally Posted by beckyc View Post
See, I'm thinking that it'll work better if I make the initiative as getting any info from a 15 year old boy is a no goer.
'What's her Mums' name?' I don't know
'What does her Mum or Dad do?' I don't know, usually followed by grunting lol.
'Where do they live?' Near Sainsbury's.... they live no where near sainsbury's lol
See what I'm up against iftly like this I leave it to those two to arrange this!
I know what it's like, I live with a 37 year old Brother who is exactly like this!
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

10-01-2008, 12:39 AM
I'd call and go with the flow. Perhaps you could meet somewhere for a coffee or something if you're more comfortable with that. takes all the possible 'differences' problems out of the equation.

It'll not be long till i'm 'vetting' the boys that Hannah tells me about !
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-01-2008, 07:58 AM
Sounds like a good idea Becky.
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 08:01 AM
Sounds like a very good idea, give you both a chance to get to know each other a bit, before the visit
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2008, 08:11 AM
Sounds like a good plan.
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-01-2008, 08:50 AM
Sounds like a good idea . It sounds sensible to reassure each other that your kids are okay when they're at each other's homes.

I was sixteen when I got my first "proper" boyfriend, and we used to get the train and the tube to see each other (he lived in Kent, I lived in Essex ). Our parents didn't actually meet until we broke up (he got the train up to tell me it was over and as I was walking with him back to the train station, we got assaulted and ended up spending most of the night giving police statements and in A&E ).

My OH and I were recently talking about how we would handle the boyfriend/girlfriend situation if we have kids, and he has vowed to be "world's most embarrassing dad", because his mum used to embarrass him horribly and he thinks of it as 'his turn'. My step-dad used to do it to me, but it just makes me cringe at the memory!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >