Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2007, 07:05 AM

Is This just too much of a coincidence?

I changed my Jack Russell Milo diet about 10 days ago. He has been suffering with Anemia and been quite poorly. Last week his blood count had dropped again to 33, anyway this week it has shot up to 49 :banana: which is well up in the normal range where it hasn't been for months.
Vet was amazed as was I and we were both thrilled at this sudden turn around. Now I am wondering if its all been diet realated as he does suffer food intolerances and wonder if things in his previous food were stopping the absorption of vital nutrients, now he is on a food with nothing artificial at all he is getting what he needs.
It could just be coincidence but he has been ill for quite a few moths now and just seems strange when the diet changes he recovers.
We are going to leave him a fortnight now before his next blood test and hopefully it will have stayed at a good level.
Would be interested on your views as to whether you think diet could cause this or its just coincidence.

edited to add; he has also stopped his obsession with eating dirt since the diet change.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2007, 07:30 AM
Why not? It sounds like its been a very positive thing for Milo, and hopefully it'll continue.

I'm not food expert but we all get affected by what we eat (trust me I'm on such a healthy diet myself at the mo and can truly tell the difference) and dogs are no different.

What was he on and what did you change it to? Is there anything obviously missing from the new food that you think could be the culprit that made him poorly, or is it just more natural/ less additives, etc?
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2007, 07:38 AM
He was on Wainwrights wheat gluten free dried complete and is now on Nature diet.
I know there is a lot more chemicals and additives in dried food and a lot of the ingredients however good the dried food are not always what they seem. So I wonder if on Nature diet he can now get everything and absorb all he needs.

I wish they done it in bigger more economical trays so I could switch my big girl over onto it. But it would cost a fortune to feed her that as well just using the little trays.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

11-04-2007, 07:47 AM
Sounds like it could be the food that has made the difference.Do you have a large pet store sometimes you can buy the Nature diet in a box of 10 or 12 and they work out cheaperI just went onto Naturediet.co.uk and found they have a stockist locator if you just put in Town and County they can tell you if they have a cash & carry stockist.
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2007, 07:53 AM
i would say that the food change has done the trick maybe your dog is finding it easier to absorb from the new food as a dry complete is good but takes long so heres keeping evry thing crossed that it carrys on like this for you both.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2007, 08:17 AM
I'm a firm believer that diet plays a huge part in our dogs health (both physically and mentally) so if Nature Diet is the one that works for him then stick to it. I don't know much about Wainwrights at all other than P@H sell it.
I hope this is it and Milo is well and truely on the mend.
Becky
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2007, 11:02 AM
Food can play a big part in the dog's wellbeing I hope they are linked & it will continue to be good results for Milo. As for your other dog if she is fine on her food I would continue to feed it her. If it aint broke don't fix it. Some dogs have intolerances to food others cope fine with. I suffered about 14 years ago when I had a dog with a rice intolerance just at the time when many dog food manufacturers had started using rice instead of wheat as a lot of dog's were having a problem with that. He was fine on wheat, but it took me a while to sort out what his problem was.Good luck & I hope all continues to go well.