Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bordercolliemad
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-05-2014, 09:20 PM

Advice on Dilated Cardiomyopathy

I would really like some advice as my border collie has just been diagnosed with dilated cardiomyopathy. Its been a huge shock. He is 11 years & 7 months and has become old over night. He's had a choking cough for a couple of weeks and seemed off on his feet. He turned his nose up to his dinner wednesday evening so i took him to the vets thursday morning and he went into the vets today for tests. His x ray confirmed he had an enlarged heart and fluid on his lungs. He's on strong diuretics for this week then we are going back to the vets next friday to see if he has perked up a bit. I love him very much and i'm finding it hard to come to terms with. I have 3 other border collies so i will walk him on shorter walks as the girls need a good long run. Any experiences or advise will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2014, 09:50 PM
You are in shock at the moment which is completely natural. I had the opposite experience to you my Boxer was diagnosed with aortic stenosis at under a year. At first I was knocked sideways and didn't want to do anything with him seemed like the end of the world but that will pass.

Give the medication a chance to kick in and see how he is then. One thing to remember is he won't be worrying about the future which helped me a bit.

Make the most of your boy I had my Klan until he was just over 3. He was on restricted exercise in that he wasn't allowed to rush about but was let off lead on paths where he didn't tend to get so much speed up.

It's very early days yet I do hope you feel better about the situation soon
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2014, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by cava14una View Post
You are in shock at the moment which is completely natural. I had the opposite experience to you my Boxer was diagnosed with aortic stenosis at under a year. At first I was knocked sideways and didn't want to do anything with him seemed like the end of the world but that will pass.

Give the medication a chance to kick in and see how he is then. One thing to remember is he won't be worrying about the future which helped me a bit.

Make the most of your boy I had my Klan until he was just over 3. He was on restricted exercise in that he wasn't allowed to rush about but was let off lead on paths where he didn't tend to get so much speed up.

It's very early days yet I do hope you feel better about the situation soon
Excellent post Cava and those bolded words are very true. Dogs live 'in the moment'.
Bordercolliemad
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-05-2014, 10:45 AM
Thankyou for taking time out to reply.

I have got over the shock now and enjoying every minute with my boy. In a strange kind of way i'm relieved the vet did find something so at least i can now look after him and give him the right medication to help him. I knew there was something not right.

I'm sorry to hear about your boxer cava14una. Such a young age to lose a dog. Its made me very grateful that i have had mine for over 11 years and your right he doesn't understand what's going on but he's certainly enjoying the extra attention.

Thanks again x
Sophalba
New Member!
Female 

17-05-2014, 11:46 AM
My sister lost her young collie to the same condition

Here is Moss's story ...

Congestive heart failure - any experience?

I hope you have many more years left with your lovely boy.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2014, 02:47 PM
Our Kaycee was on medication for this for 4 years from the age of 9, he didn't change once the meds kicked in & as others have written he won't be worrying. Treasure each day XX Cyber {{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}} to you both
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-05-2014, 04:54 PM
No advice sorry.
But as Joedee says treasure each day.
Bordercolliemad
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-05-2014, 07:31 PM
Just read your sisters story Sophalba. Difficult reading for me. Broke me in two. Had a good cry and a cuddle with my boy.

Such a young age for Moss to die. I know Blue is a good age but i'm not ready to see him go. I'm enjoying everyday with him and hoping our trip back to the vets on friday is a positive one.

Thankyou all so much for your reply's everyone. It really is helping xx
Sophalba
New Member!
Female 

17-05-2014, 07:33 PM
I am sorry it was difficult reading I will keep everything crossed that you have much more time with your special boy.

Any pics?
Bordercolliemad
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-05-2014, 08:42 PM
I used to come on this forum a lot a few years ago and always loved reading about your sisters border collies. Loved looking through her pictures to. Busy life etc doesn't give me much time these days but i always come back for advise as everyone is so lovely and i knew i would get some comfort on coming on here.

I didn't realise Moss had passed so it was a bit of a shock to. I always thought he reminded me of my Blue as he is also a big dog. Knowing it will happy to Blue saddened me

Yes i wil upload a picture when i remember how to

xxx
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >