Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zanily
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-05-2013, 03:23 PM

Missing dog...I'm so embarrassed

As some of you may know, I'm after a second rescue dog. I found a lovely docile dog that I'm really fond of. I had the home check today....Whilst the inspector was here, my dog went missing for the first time ever.

The inspector came round and I took her into the garden to look around. My dog seemed quite timid and cautious around the inspector, which is strange, she's not normally like that. After the inspector had finished looking around the garden I called my dog to follow us into the house...But she'd vanished!

After assuring the inspector that my garden was safe and secure, I instantly panicked thinking my dog had some how got through the hedge! I told the inspector that I couldn't find my dog and asked her to leave.

After I quickly said goodbye to the inspector and shut the front door, I ran upstairs to look out the window to see if I could see my dog in the neighbours garden...As I entered the bedroom, I saw my dog. She was cowering under the bed....

She'd snuck into the house while we were in the garden to hide from the inspector...She's never done anything like that before.

As soon as I found my dog and checked she was ok, I called the inspector back and we finished the meeting but I really, really don't think the inspector believes that my dog was upstairs...

I've owned my home for six years and it's kept spotless. I have a big, beautiful garden surrounded by a solid fence and hedge. My whole property is 100% dog friendly. I've fostered dogs in the past so I've had many home checks and I've always past them with flying colours...

I can't believe that just happened. I'm blatantly going to fail the home check!

I'm so embarrassed!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2013, 03:37 PM
The wee devil, sure picked a bad time Don't worry, I'm sure you'll pass the check-up, no probs!
Zanily
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-05-2013, 03:44 PM
I wonder why my dog was frightened of the inspector? She's usually so good with people...Maybe she smelled like the kennels or something?

Even if I don't pass the home check, I'm just so relived that my dog is ok!
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2013, 03:49 PM
was she in uniform? wearing a hat, sometimes new stuff like that is enough to spook them, weird though that she was that scared to hide from her ?
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-05-2013, 03:57 PM
Little rascal! There must have been something odd about her. Or is your current dog a rescue? Perhaps something about her reminded him of his time at the shelter?
Zanily
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-05-2013, 04:04 PM
No, she wasn't wearing uniform or a hat

I know this sounds strange, but she was a very tall lady (6ft?)...As soon as I opened the door I was like, woah but other than that, she was just normal...Myself and my partner are shorter than average, but even so, I wouldn't imagine my dog would be frightened of the woman's height.

My dog is a rescue and I don't know anything about her past. I've had her for four years and she's never acted like that before, even when going to the vets!... I wonder what caused it
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2013, 04:19 PM
Oh poor you and what unfortunately timing. As you say the most important thing is that your dog is OK and safe. I know dogs pick up vibes, but surely this inspector must like dogs of she wouldn't do the job so I think it is more than likely the smell of kennels on her which possibly triggered some scary memories from your dog's past.

I'm sure you'll still pass the check, as she will have clearly seen you had a good dog-proof garden. Maybe you could phone her again with your concerns ....of if you do fail ask to be re-home checked explaining that for some reason your dog was scared of the inspector and acted out of character.

Good luck and keep us informed.
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2013, 04:26 PM
The inspector should be quite used to the way rescue dogs behave towards certain people and funny quirks they have and may even have had that reaction before, so I wouldn't write your rescuing off just yet x
Zanily
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-05-2013, 04:30 PM
You're right, Jenny and zoeyvonne.

I can offer a dog a loving home for life and it would be silly to turn me down over what happened.

Now that I've stopped blushing and I've got over the shock of "losing my dog", I'm starting to see the funny side of all this!

The inspector said she would have to make a note of what happened...I just hope she's been fair about whatever she's wrote!
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2013, 05:48 PM
Hope you pass the home check. Cats & dogs can be so sneaky, little deveils.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >