Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-11-2012, 10:08 PM

Changing pup from RAW to kibble

Please help!
I have been trawling the RAW threads (some of which are brilliant! You could spend all day on google and not get that kind of detail) but have not been able to find anything that could answer my query. If there is, please point me to the right post
Our new pup Nala joins us in a few weeks time. We would like to feed Fish4Dogs which the breeder is pleased we have chosen however, Nala has been weaned from her mother onto a raw diet. The breeder has recommended Natural Instinct. How do we make the transition from raw to kibble as smoothly as possible? has anyone else had to do this? Is it the same as switching kibbles; slowly mixing more of the new food in? She will be 10.5 weeks old when she comes to us.

Having done the research, I am considering feeding chicken wings 2 or 3 times a week. would there be any benefit to doing that? Alternatively, we could feed fish, either the F4D mousses or is it mackerel that we could feed them?

Ultimately, we don't want to mess with a system that works well for our existing dog, as we had so many food issues with him. We also want to do what's best for the new pup...

We have done so much research now and don't think that feeding raw 24/7 would work for us for the following reasons:
- Bentley has always been fed kibble, and we struggled to find the right fit for him. He now has F4D or JWB and is doing really well on it, no anal gland issues, rashes etc. We'd be reluctant to mess with what works for him although maybe a combination of kibble with fish would be good for him? Any advice from other owners that have suffered in the anal gland department? I'm really worried it will mess with his tummy
- Currently, due to our jobs, I am in Surrey during the week and travel home to Essex at weekends. The bulk of the feeding will therefore be done by my husband....who's a little bit squeamish
- Due to the above, meal times need to be convenient and easily manageable for my OH. He doesn't want any faff as he would rather concentrate his time on training.
- from time to time, when we're away etc, Bentley goes to stay with our dog sitters/walker. We don't feel we could ask them to feed raw.

So, how do we get our pup onto kibble with as little upset as poss, and is a small amount of raw better than none at all?
Thank you
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-11-2012, 10:56 PM
I don't use Natural Instincts myself but I do get vouchers from them when I have a litter and they go with the puppy and they get a free trial delivery of Natural Instincts. I understand that they come in separate containers, so if you were using Natural Instincts then all anyone has to do is tip the contents of the container into your puppies bowl, can't see anyone having a problem with that. Also a tin of sardines or tuna or pilchards is a good stand-by, again can't see anyone having a problem with feeding that either.
Can I just caution you about changing a puppy from raw onto dried, it can cause a lot of problems and may make the puppy poorly.
All my new owners are given a weeks supply of food made into separate meals (3 a day) and frozen plus the Natural Instincts vouchers, they are also required to sign a contract to the effect the puppy will stay on a raw diet.
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-11-2012, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
all anyone has to do is tip the contents of the container into your puppies bowl, can't see anyone having a problem with that.
that bit sounds easy, but if it was for a week, I think it has to be stored frozen? Obviously the fish would be a far easier alternative in those situations

How poorly are we talking? the usual kind of poorly that you would expect when switching diets?
Azz
Administrator
Male 

07-11-2012, 11:50 PM
Have you thought about going from raw to home-cooked to kibble?

I think that might be a smoother transition, particularly as kibble is often very rich due to the flavourings that are sometimes added.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2012, 03:38 AM
Is the breeder happy for you to change?
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-11-2012, 07:27 AM
Originally Posted by Tessabelle View Post
Please help!
I have been trawling the RAW threads (some of which are brilliant! You could spend all day on google and not get that kind of detail) but have not been able to find anything that could answer my query. If there is, please point me to the right post
Our new pup Nala joins us in a few weeks time. We would like to feed Fish4Dogs which the breeder is pleased we have chosen however, Nala has been weaned from her mother onto a raw diet. The breeder has recommended Natural Instinct. How do we make the transition from raw to kibble as smoothly as possible? has anyone else had to do this? Is it the same as switching kibbles; slowly mixing more of the new food in? She will be 10.5 weeks old when she comes to us.

Having done the research, I am considering feeding chicken wings 2 or 3 times a week. would there be any benefit to doing that? Alternatively, we could feed fish, either the F4D mousses or is it mackerel that we could feed them?

Ultimately, we don't want to mess with a system that works well for our existing dog, as we had so many food issues with him. We also want to do what's best for the new pup...

We have done so much research now and don't think that feeding raw 24/7 would work for us for the following reasons:
- Bentley has always been fed kibble, and we struggled to find the right fit for him. He now has F4D or JWB and is doing really well on it, no anal gland issues, rashes etc. We'd be reluctant to mess with what works for him although maybe a combination of kibble with fish would be good for him? Any advice from other owners that have suffered in the anal gland department? I'm really worried it will mess with his tummy
- Currently, due to our jobs, I am in Surrey during the week and travel home to Essex at weekends. The bulk of the feeding will therefore be done by my husband....who's a little bit squeamish
- Due to the above, meal times need to be convenient and easily manageable for my OH. He doesn't want any faff as he would rather concentrate his time on training.
- from time to time, when we're away etc, Bentley goes to stay with our dog sitters/walker. We don't feel we could ask them to feed raw.

So, how do we get our pup onto kibble with as little upset as poss, and is a small amount of raw better than none at all?
Thank you
What breed is your pup? Some seem to have slightly more sensitive digestive systems than others, I've got Labs and a flatcoat, both of which swap between raw and the occasional bit of kibble which I use for training treats or if I need a meal which won't go off and smell. Mine have had a chicken carcass each for breakfast, which involves a row of four dogs, and handing each one a piece of chicken straight out of the fridge, then they go off and find a spot to eat it, which doesn't take long. I don't even have to wash up bowls most days!

Raw isn't as complicated as many think, it involves a little more preparation work, but there are companies who sell raw in pretty much ready to bung in a bowl portions. As for swapping over pups, I'd swap one meal for kibble, most likely the last one, since kibble digests more slowly than raw, and if they're ok with no ill side effects, swap them straight over. I can't see the harm in giving occasional chicken wings, I know plenty of folk who do, including two of the puppy owners from my litter.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2012, 08:16 AM
My latest pup was on Natural Instinct plus Royal Canin when I first got him but had terrible diarrhoea so I just changed him straight over to Arden Grange.

He's a year old now and still has the AG plus sardines twice a week and the occasional chicken wings (more for his teeth than a wish for him to eat raw).
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-11-2012, 11:28 AM
Thank you all so much for your replies. I seem to be constantly thinking about this at the moment
I am in regular contact with the breeder and will be speaking to her about it all in more detail. I wanted to get some opinions and experience from the dogsey world before going back to her.
Muddiwarx - When I explained that we are planning to feed F4D, this is what she said:
Food wise you have chosen a good food I'm pleased to see, but can I suggest you also use a mixture of that and raw meat. Nala has been weaned from 4 weeks old onto raw food. I use Natural Instinct, www.naturalinstinct.co.uk
which isn't far from you if you want to visit. Dogs are naturally carnivores so do better on meat, a mixture of the two would be fine. I would just ask that you consider these alternatives. Food is so important it can affect health but also behavior.
So the breeder has suggested a combined diet, where I am assuming we would feed F4D kibble for breakfast and raw for dinner?
However, we won't be feeding raw 24/7. I cannot convince my husband to do this right now. If I were at home all the time I would certainly be considering it as an option I will not be able to change my husband's mind before the puppy's arrival. We also have an existing dog and his delicate tum to consider.
Azz - Thank you, cooked then to kibble sounds like a good suggestion. If we were to get the prepackaged stuff could we just cook that up?
Tarimoor - She's a German Pinscher. You're right, it doesn't sound complicated if using the ready to serve stuff, but squeamish stubborn husband is the issue and I have to accept that for the time being

I think that once we're over the initial hurdle and find a balance it will be much easier. There's a Natural Instinct place in Camberley so I'm going to try and pop in this weekend and have a proper look at the stuff.
Having had serious food issues when I was a toddler (my hair fell out and skin feel off due to E numbers, colourings falvourings and preservatives) I know first hand the importance of good food that's free from crap. Who knew dog nutition would be such a minefield
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-11-2012, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
My latest pup was on Natural Instinct plus Royal Canin when I first got him but had terrible diarrhoea so I just changed him straight over to Arden Grange.

He's a year old now and still has the AG plus sardines twice a week and the occasional chicken wings (more for his teeth than a wish for him to eat raw).
I wouldn't be surprised if the RC was responsible for the diarrhoea, Bentley was so ill on it when he was a pup. I was also thinking of the wings for teeth cleaning. I've suggested it to hubby and I know that he's saying no because he's precious about these things I really like the idea of feeding sardines and think husband will be more accepting of that...maybe!
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2012, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by Tessabelle View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the RC was responsible for the diarrhoea, Bentley was so ill on it when he was a pup. I was also thinking of the wings for teeth cleaning. I've suggested it to hubby and I know that he's saying no because he's precious about these things I really like the idea of feeding sardines and think husband will be more accepting of that...maybe!
I think the whole litter was ill so the breeder stopped the RC as soon as she could! The only problem I find with chicken wings is that one of my dogs (I have four) ends up bringing it back up. The sardines are just out of a tin so nothing to be squeamish about.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >