Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-04-2012, 03:24 PM

Bl**y boiler

Last weekend I discovered we had no hot water. Further investigation revealed the pilot light on the boiler was out, and that the damned thing won't ignite. The earliest I could find someone to come out to it is tomorrow. We've had no hot water or heating for nearly a week (and with perfect timing, a cold snap at the same time).

I'm freezing my a*se off, I have a pile of washing up that's been sort of rinsed off, but is not what I consider "clean" so I don’t want to put it away, the kitchen is a bit untidy because it's the coldest room in the house and I don't want to spend time in it, and we've not been able to have baths.

Am I insane to think the guy coming out to the boiler is going to think "What a slovenly, untidy wench?" Surely he'll understand that it's hard to do stuff with no hot water, won't he? Damn it, why am I even worried about this? I should be more worried that he might not be able to fix it (as the boiler is pretty old).

I'm fighting the urge to go on a major spree in the kitchen because I know I'm just going to really b*gger up my back doing a load of work in a freezing cold room, but I feel like I ought to be ringing a bell and shouting "Unclean!" if anyone comes to the door.
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2012, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by coventrycatfish View Post
Last weekend I discovered we had no hot water. Further investigation revealed the pilot light on the boiler was out, and that the damned thing won't ignite. The earliest I could find someone to come out to it is tomorrow. We've had no hot water or heating for nearly a week (and with perfect timing, a cold snap at the same time).

I'm freezing my a*se off, I have a pile of washing up that's been sort of rinsed off, but is not what I consider "clean" so I don’t want to put it away, the kitchen is a bit untidy because it's the coldest room in the house and I don't want to spend time in it, and we've not been able to have baths.

Am I insane to think the guy coming out to the boiler is going to think "What a slovenly, untidy wench?" Surely he'll understand that it's hard to do stuff with no hot water, won't he? Damn it, why am I even worried about this? I should be more worried that he might not be able to fix it (as the boiler is pretty old).

I'm fighting the urge to go on a major spree in the kitchen because I know I'm just going to really b*gger up my back doing a load of work in a freezing cold room, but I feel like I ought to be ringing a bell and shouting "Unclean!" if anyone comes to the door.
So, it's your fault it's peeing down then

I'm sure the boiler man will've seen much worse than a few clothes piled up, just explain about not being able to washing etc, offer him a brew (if you have a clean cup ) and it'll be fine.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-04-2012, 04:17 PM
I can sympathise with you because I frequently have no hot water during the winter if there has not been enough sun to heat it. Boiling a kettle to wash up is one thing, but boiling it to have a quick strip wash in a cold room.... brrrrrrrrr

I hope the guy can fix your boiler very very quickly!
coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-04-2012, 01:34 PM
Sadly, the boiler has boiled it's last. Now I need to sort out getting a replacement as soon as I can. Looks like the hot bath is going to have to wait a bit longer.

Feeling totally cheesed off, but considering the run of luck I'm having I can't say it was entirely unexpected.

ETA: Was expecting we would qualify for a grant towards a new boiler under the Warm Front scheme since we are on income support - and the rules on it recently changed so we DON'T! If only it had happened a couple of months ago.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2012, 02:05 PM
Ouch!!!!!!!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-04-2012, 02:44 PM
Booger.
Lulusmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-04-2012, 03:32 PM
Life is sh** sometimes. Cant you just guarantee that the boiler will break down when the weather is crap. I invested in an electric shower as I got caught out. It doesn't help re the washing etc but at least a freezing strip wash was not an option.