Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2010, 07:23 AM

Wrong kind of failure :0(

It was with great sadness that I had to return Snoop to the rescue on Saturday morning. Although from my personal point of view things were improving, it wasn't the case with Lily, Dylan, the cats and Hannah. She wasn't telling me just how difficult it was getting bless her. I think she felt she should be able to cope with him ~ she's home alot in the week due to her college timetable ~ but she was struggling.

Lily just didn't take to him either and despite her attempts at telling him to back off, he was getting more and more pushy with her to the point that she was just standing there while he bounced all over her. He was also very full on with the cats and although I think in time I could have trained him not to be, adding up all the problems that were arising made it very hard to continue.

The final straw was Friday night when he refused to leave Lily alone (I was out) and then jumped on Hannah. She tried to push him off and he scratched her face and mouthed her arm.

He's not an aggressive dog at all. He's a big, bouncy pup who has never been given boundaries and he doesn't know when to stop.

If it had just been me, I would have stuck with him and I'm sure we would have got through, but I have to put my family (fur and human) first.

I was so upset, felt so guilty (for him and my family) but Kymm was lovely about the whole thing. She said we had given him a chance and that now, more information was known about him to help with him being rehomed to the right people. He's safe at the rescue and he will find the right home one day. I'm just so sorry that it wasn't mine.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2010, 07:47 AM
Oh dont feel guilty - he just wasnt the foster for you. And as you said you had to put your family first. It isnt your fault he's never been taught manners. You'll help another one and many more and I'm sure (with no offence meant and in no way meaning to upset you or questioning your abilities) that there will be a couple of others who are difficult cases and that just dont fit into your home.

You cant blame yourself for it. You tried and you've had him 3 weeks + ?

So as the words of my Grandad "Chin up - you'll never see the end of the tunnel looking down there" - I think that meant if you're always looking down you wont see the good that has happened right in front of you.

Dont feel bad - you werent the one that put him there in the first place - you were a stepping stone along the way to a good future - if you like
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2010, 07:56 AM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Oh dont feel guilty - he just wasnt the foster for you. And as you said you had to put your family first. It isnt your fault he's never been taught manners. You'll help another one and many more and I'm sure (with no offence meant and in no way meaning to upset you or questioning your abilities) that there will be a couple of others who are difficult cases and that just dont fit into your home.

You cant blame yourself for it. You tried and you've had him 3 weeks + ?

So as the words of my Grandad "Chin up - you'll never see the end of the tunnel looking down there" - I think that meant if you're always looking down you wont see the good that has happened right in front of you.

Dont feel bad - you werent the one that put him there in the first place - you were a stepping stone along the way to a good future - if you like
No offence taken You're right and I had to accept it but I'd invested quite a lot emotionally in this young man. Had things worked out I would loved to have kept him but it just wasn't to be. I only had him a week and it was amazing how much he changed in that short space of time.

Kymm said the dogs are quite often 'good' for the first couple of days cos they are knackered from being in the kennels for so long. I guess he just grew in confidence and felt secure here.

It was such a mix of emotions as I just know he would have been a wonderful dog had the right person had him from the start. (much like them all) He needs to be in a strong family with no submissive animals really. I never thought I'd see Lily back down to another dog but she really was starting to act like she was scared of him and I cannot have that.

On Friday he started humping poor Dyls too and given that he is 14 and ill, that just can't happen.

I love your last comment, that is something I will remember. xxx
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2010, 08:00 AM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
No offence taken You're right and I had to accept it but I'd invested quite a lot emotionally in this young man. Had things worked out I would loved to have kept him but it just wasn't to be. I only had him a week and it was amazing how much he changed in that short space of time.

Kymm said the dogs are quite often 'good' for the first couple of days cos they are knackered from being in the kennels for so long. I guess he just grew in confidence and felt secure here.

It was such a mix of emotions as I just know he would have been a wonderful dog had the right person had him from the start. (much like them all) He needs to be in a strong family with no submissive animals really. I never thought I'd see Lily back down to another dog but she really was starting to act like she was scared of him and I cannot have that.

On Friday he started humping poor Dyls too and given that he is 14 and ill, that just can't happen.

I love your last comment, that is something I will remember. xxx
Well I needed to end on a good note that made me smile too I'll let you keep it
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-12-2010, 08:14 AM
What a shame but you tried and at least the kennels have more information now for re-homing again.

Sounds like he may be better off as an only dog and maybe not young people around either.

So don't feel bad you tried and it didn't work out.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2010, 10:01 AM
Well Claire, we've talked about this in depth (over tea and bourbons! ) and you didnt fail Snoop. You did an amazing job with him but you cant split your house in two, its not fair or practical. You'll be able to give Kymm a much better idea of what his needs are and that will help find him the perfect home for him. And your family have to come first. You're an amazing person. Stick with it mate. xx
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2010, 10:29 AM
Claire you have not failed in fact quite the opposite as you have been instrumental in providing Kymm with the info she needs to ensure that Snoops forever home is just that Forever. She won't re-home him to someone and then find out all his little quirks.

You are a good mum to your family (2 and 4 legged!) and as any mum has to you put your own first there is no shame in that.

There will be a right time and place for you to open your door again and there will be right time and place for Snoop too.

Hugs to you and I love that quote anout not looking down !!
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2010, 10:29 AM
I can only agree with all the comments already made, you tried real hard with him, don't take it too hard. Snoop needs some training on his own and you guys don't need the worry.

*hugs* don't let it get you down hon, there are other dogs you can and will help. Without Fosterers like yourself those that need help would stand less of a chance to get a new forever home. You do a brilliant job.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2010, 10:45 AM
You haven't failed at all so don't feel bad. Quite rightly you have to put your family, Dylan, Lily & the cats first. And at least the rescue know more about Snoop now.

I agree with what Kymm said about dogs in rescue kennels often being stressed, not sleeping well etc. When they get to somewhere they feel safe & secure, they start to feel better, sleep & eat well & generally relax. Then their other behaviours surface ~ & they're not always the ones we want or need or can cope with. I'm sure you did everything right but Snoop maybe needs a bit more individual help to become a pet suitable for living in a home ~ maybe somewhere without other pets would suit him better?

But I'm sure you'll carry on helping lots of other dogs & will make a huge difference to their lives ~ keep up the good work
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2010, 07:08 PM
oh dont feel so guilty, you have given him an oppurtunity, time out the kennel environment and a 100% better chance of getting the right forever home now.
Your kids and furkids need to come first
as long as its not put you off another staffie!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >