Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

29-05-2010, 05:51 PM

Are horses more like dogs... or cats?

Or something totally different

I mention cats n dogs as they are distinctly different - dogs can be trained easily as they want to please, but cats like to do their own thing and try to train you!

What are horses like in that respect? Do you 'know' where you are with them? Are they easy to keep/look after/train?

And no I'm not getting one... just dreaming
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-05-2010, 06:29 PM
weve got a couple of nf ponies and are very easy to train my 15 yr old daughter broke the youn ger one in to ride on her own last year
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2010, 06:58 PM
Er, neither lol
But if I had to say one it would be a dog...cos once they are trained to be handled you can generally tell them what to do!
Though they have much more of a "natural" instinct than a dog or a cat, so you can train them but you should never forget their roots. A lot of people get into problems with horses cos they do not understand horse psychology which is a must really.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2010, 07:11 PM
How could you possibly compare a Cat to any other animal on this earth, they are simply, supreme in all aspects, the best, untouchable. (and VERY cuddly)
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2010, 07:32 PM
Horses are like .... horses.
You have to `get` the herd thing. And the fact that you need brains not brawn to manage them. Lovely creatures that should be treated with respect.
They all have their own personalities and little ways - like the ones that take a gulp of air before you do up the girth so the saddle slides round and dumps you on the ground . And the pony i knew who when fording a stream with a beginner on his back, lay down
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

29-05-2010, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Horses are like .... horses.
You have to `get` the herd thing. And the fact that you need brains not brawn to manage them. Lovely creatures that should be treated with respect.
They all have their own personalities and little ways - like the ones that take a gulp of air before you do up the girth so the saddle slides round and dumps you on the ground . And the pony i knew who when fording a stream with a beginner on his back, lay down
Have too agree with you Claire.

When I was young and worked at a riding school, one of the ponies would go up to the gate too let you open it while still on his back. Some people he was fine with others he would suddenly put his head down and the rider would go over his neck and hit their nose on the gate he did this too one of the girls and she broke her nose.

She wouldn't listen too us she always knew better. I will never forget his name it was Digby and he was black and very naughty.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2010, 07:48 PM
I would say dogs are more like them, than cats!
Ours even look like horses, with there manes and tails...There movement is pony like to!
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2010, 08:50 PM
Horses are wild, so much more wilder than dogs or cats, and you must always remember this. They are so intelligent, more than cats or dogs I would say regarding training, you can train a horse to jump 6 foot high and wide, and pirouette to music, but that horse will ALWAYS be petrified of a little bit of plastic bag caught in the fence! Or the little fat first pony just knows that when in the mood, she can throw you off, gallop off and no human in this world can stop her
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2010, 09:57 PM
I always say that Tink follows CJ about like "a wee dug"..(translation..small dog!)

She listens and does what she is told 98% of the time..but one day she might just bolt and that will be that..

Bit like living with a Malamute off the lead LOL
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2010, 08:15 PM
My horse is quite like one of my dogs- Will do just about anything for some food!! Hes one of the best behaved horses I know and have worked with in 15years of being around horses. I trained him using the basis of clicker training- rewarding for good behaviour. Although some horses just aren't food orientated.

Only thing is after 7 years he still will take a massive gulp air so I an't do the girth up! No amount of food could stop him doing that LOL
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >