View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-07-2009, 10:59 AM

Well School sports days aren't like they use to be.

Went to Joels sports day today with Mark (his Dad) my eldest Son and they had two activities not to strenuous and then into the hall for a lie down on some mats some incense sticks burning and 10 mins of relaxation to some nice mood type music. 6 events in all and all over in an 11/2

I know it has all changed now as Mark keeps telling me no winners or losers any more but what a shock it was.

No more long jump or high jump, or shott putt or javelin or hurdling, although that is Senior school or use to be and Joel is Primary but we use to have and so did the boys flat out races and less strenuous forms of the sports you could expect to get in Senior School. It was enjoyable and lovely to watch them, but I found it a bit of a shock.
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2009, 11:10 AM
For goodness sake, thankfully our lot were relatively normal, flat races, sack race, tattie and spoon race. No Mum or Dad races tho. Davie did okay, came in second in at least one of the races
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2009, 11:10 AM
LOL

Ours was cancelled today.We normally hold it at Victoria park and we have lots of events including sprints and long distance on the proper running track.The children are in houses and there are points for each position (1st,2nd,3rd) which are added up to get a winning house which then receives a cup!

Needless to say, my daughter who hates being watched and competeing prayed for rain and it was cancelled.I think she would have preferred the candles and the lie down version!
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2009, 12:39 PM
Incense sticks and relaxation?!? Our PE teachers wouldn't even let us sit down after a race as they claimed it wasn't good for you so we had to put our hands on our heads instead!!

I personally don't see what the big problem with competition is but then maybe if I went back to school now I'd learn to be less of a sore loser and I wouldn't be as competitive as I am!!
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2009, 12:42 PM
I just don't know anymore what this world is coming to!!! Still as long as you enjoyed yourself. I think kids need competition in their lives, gives them a good outlook on life.
No winners or losers just gives them a false notion of real life imo.

Elaine xx
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2009, 01:17 PM
Mia's sports day was an absolute hoot!

Egg and spoon, sack race etc, I won the mums race

They also had a parents race (mums and dads) on space hoppers......... hilarious, havent laughed so much in ages, didnt win that one though due to all the giggling and falling off

Could have done with some incence and a lie down myself
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-07-2009, 01:22 PM
That sounds like my kind of sports day I hated it sooo much!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-07-2009, 02:11 PM
Must just be round here then as I know Mark was shocked at his Step-Sons sports day too, he feels you have to learn to lose sometimes in life and that its best learnt when still at school, as he says you can't always win.

None of the egg and spoon, sack and flat races here for either of the Childrens sports days, such a shame I think.

We were nearly choking with the incense sticks I like them but goodness knows how many this Teacher was burning, Mark hates them and it was a good job we weren't in there too long as he was starting to get the giggles about it all.
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2009, 10:25 AM
Lol my OH's kid's sports day is today...I let you know how it goes!!!
Penry
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-07-2009, 11:11 AM
Blimey . . . !!!! . . . am I getting old or what . . . !!!! We used to have all the races, jumping and throwing events when we had a sports day, we never had incense or relaxation . . . !!!

I'm glad they and you enjoyed it though Lynn

x x x x x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >