Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2013, 10:18 AM

Where Has All The Excitement Gone

Hi

All the events that are happening in Sport or Equine, those people get a real buzz. In the UK we as dog owners used too get a buzz from Crufts,but as it is not showing on prime television anymore,it seems to have gone underground, and dog owners especially those with pedigrees are treated with disdain. The media have not helped,as there seems to be some sort of witch hunt re certain breeds.

So how can responsible dog owners make dog owning more attractive to Joe Public. The Kennel Club was asked to clean up their act, they have formed a commitee,but nothing positive. People who are not dog owners if you asked them what comes too mind about dogs its ''oh they are so time consuming'', and the big thing is the Dangerous Dog Act,people who are not keen on dogs,hang on too all the myths and the negative.

It would be really nice if Television showed positive things,about dogs,they show you police dogs,but that just reinforces the negative side,other dog programmes are about dogs behaving badly so they have to get a dog trainer in, there is so much more positive things about dogs,people like to see doggie dancing,agility and flyball.So come on let people see the positive side of dogs and not build them up as something scary.crystalgirl
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2013, 12:57 PM
I used to dread crufts the number of numpties who wanted dogs they had seen on TV and would not in a million years fit into their own lives appalled me.

What is needed IMO is more about dog problems and how to solve them and about responsible ownership not a beauty show.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2013, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
I used to dread crufts the number of numpties who wanted dogs they had seen on TV and would not in a million years fit into their own lives appalled me.

What is needed IMO is more about dog problems and how to solve them and about responsible ownership not a beauty show.
Hi Yes,but if they showed other bits of crufts like the junior handling, and dogs for disabled,it would balance it out,and the show for best breed would be come just an item.Also at Crufts they have most of the breeds,where you can actually see the dog speak to a variety of owners,if a few of those were interviewed,so its not just about ''beauty show'' it should be all things doggy crystalgirl
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2013, 02:45 PM
There isn't time in the allotted slots to show half the show you won't find them fitting anything like that in.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2013, 03:20 PM
I think the coverage now is more balanced in respect of Crufts. There are so many positive aspects shown - agility, HTM, flyball, demos and the special awards for those dogs who help their people.

I do think it a shame that it's on a minor channel now and I agree with Crystal in that it would be lovely to see more positive programmes about dogs on TV.

I used to like the one where rescue dogs were teamed up with celebrities that cataloged the training as it went along and highlighted both training and rescue work
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2013, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
I think the coverage now is more balanced in respect of Crufts. There are so many positive aspects shown - agility, HTM, flyball, demos and the special awards for those dogs who help their people.

I do think it a shame that it's on a minor channel now and I agree with Crystal in that it would be lovely to see more positive programmes about dogs on TV.

I used to like the one where rescue dogs were teamed up with celebrities that cataloged the training as it went along and highlighted both training and rescue work
Hi I think the best thing that the Kennel Club has ever done is discover dogs,they have virtually every breed they split them in there various groups,they have actual owners and their dogs,so you can discuss that particular breed at length.They had just Discover Dogs and that was held in London that was a success,But something like that televised every week,with experts.America does something similar Dogs 101,but to include training and a post corner,where people can write in.But have a feeling that the TV are a bit concerned,that it might be a target like Crufts.The programme you mentioned was brill and they had the chance to take the dog home.crystalgirl
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2013, 08:02 PM
I know what you mean, but actually there are frequent and varied programmes on different channels about dogs, many of which are not only heartwarming but also intelligently constructed - it's just a question of spotting them!!

Martin Clunes did a good one, and Paul O'Grady has tirelessly worked to promote dogs of all shapes and sizes in rescue shelters. There have been programmes about working dogs, such as search and rescue; police, and guide/hearing dogs etc.

Crufts has to work very hard to restore it's rather tarnished reputation, and in fact the BBC who used to feature it on prime time tv, gave up the coverage in disgust some years ago.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2013, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
I know what you mean, but actually there are frequent and varied programmes on different channels about dogs, many of which are not only heartwarming but also intelligently constructed - it's just a question of spotting them!!

Martin Clunes did a good one, and Paul O'Grady has tirelessly worked to promote dogs of all shapes and sizes in rescue shelters. There have been programmes about working dogs, such as search and rescue; police, and guide/hearing dogs etc.

Crufts has to work very hard to restore it's rather tarnished reputation, and in fact the BBC who used to feature it on prime time tv, gave up the coverage in disgust some years ago.
Hi Its sad that the media just doesnt want to promote the positive side of dogs,and programmes like you have mentioned they are hidden away Paul O'Grady is fantastic,though one newspaper this weekend has a mag about Crufts,so heres hoping that there will be more positives then negatives crystalgirl
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2013, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by crystalgirl View Post
Hi Its sad that the media just doesnt want to promote the positive side of dogs,and programmes like you have mentioned they are hidden away Paul O'Grady is fantastic,though one newspaper this weekend has a mag about Crufts,so heres hoping that there will be more positives then negatives crystalgirl
They are not really hidden away - they are all on mainstream tv

There is another one coming up very soon too, but I forget the name of it

I agree that there is lots of negative reporting, and in some cases it does seem unfair on particular breeds - but it is a shame if we only spot these in the media and fail to notice the many and varied stories about dogs helping man and vice versa.

Crufts is enjoyed by many, but it is not the be all and end all of dog promotion in my view.........like some unfortunate breeds, it has had some very bad press in recent years however this should not overshadow all aspects of doglets.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2013, 09:44 PM
They are not really hidden away - they are all on mainstream tv
Have to agree with this. Don't really understand this stuff about 'hidden away'. People can look at a programme guide and they have remote controls to switch to what they want to watch. Unless they are so brain dead they only watch what is shown on the 2 or 3 most 'popular' channels?

Here in Cyprus, I don't get any UK TV coz I won't pay to view it and don't miss it and hardly watched it when in the UK.

But with my satellite and cable set up I get Animal Channel, Nat Geo and Discovery and there are programmes on every day all day about dogs. Not dog 'shows'. Animal Rescue, Animal retraining. Problem dog stuff, Funniest animals, worst animals, naughtiest animals - all sorts. And I watch most of them!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >