Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Joanne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-05-2006, 03:39 PM

Whats done in a MOT?

My car is going in for its first MOT on Friday - not exactly sure what they'll check. Guessing it'll be that everything works properly, seatbelts exhaust etc

Just wondering if anyone has failed their MOT before and what was it for?
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2006, 03:49 PM
Im not entirely sure what they check, but i knwo they check bodywork/rust, typres and tread, brakes and exhaust. My first car failed on rust after i sold it and another failed on tyres.

Im sure if it is the cars first MOT it will pass with flying colours.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2006, 03:58 PM
Yeah my bike failed on the shock absorber once.

My car failed on front brakes & Lights (they were pointing up?). and my sisters car has just failed on EVERYTHING ha ha, 3 full pages of failed items !

They check EVERYTHING on the car basically, like exhaust fumes, tyres, steering, braking, rust, lights etc..
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2006, 04:29 PM
I think they check everything to make sure it's road worthy
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

08-05-2006, 04:39 PM
Mechanically it diesn't have to be sound,but it has to be road worthy,so like others have said,brakes,tyres,exhaust,emissions,(fumes),lights ,seat belts,seats that they don't move when braking hard.Front ones.Hand brake.windscreen wipers,horn,oh and that the filler bottle for windscreen wipers is topped up.Steering,can't think of anything else sure there are some minor points though that I have left out.Good luck with it should be ok if its 1st mot.
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-05-2006, 04:47 PM
Hi,
I have found this link that tells you most of the checks, I'll be honest I don't think it is actually a full list though.

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/motteste...entstested.htm

Ian
Joanne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-05-2006, 05:54 PM
Thanks everyone, booked it into garage for a check-up before just to make sure!!

If you fail can you still drive the car?
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-05-2006, 06:02 PM
See here: http://www.ukmot.com/1-3.asp
Aileen
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-05-2006, 06:06 PM
Our car failed on friday for its handbrake . But it can fail for something as simple as the horn not working properly.

If the car doesn't have a valid MOT certificate or have failed, I think the only time you are allowed to drive the car is if you are taking it to a garage to get the MOT done. But you won't have insurance, as I think insurance is only valid if you have a current MOT certificate.

Aileen x
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2006, 06:16 PM
you are right aileen,i am just getting my xjs back on the road and have rang to clarify the proceedure for cars that are SORN.i was told you must book your car in to a garage for test and as long as you have insurance you can drive it to a mot test centre or a repair centre i get round it by signing my car into my dads name and he is insured to drive any vehicle i don't mind if it fails as i am a mechanic by trade so i am o.k.
my brothers car failed it's first mot on bushes in the wishbone,he was not a happy boy i wasn't happy either as i had to put it right and i did it for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >