Our sister sites
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2005, 01:05 PM

Garden Update

Garden update

BLANK CANVAS

OUR 3D IMPRESSION OF GARDEN (landscape gardeners are meeting with us today to go through the plans)

Not sure about the pergola but we will discuss this, this afternoon:

And once Fern arrives it'll probably end up looking like the blank canvas photo again once he gets his paws into it
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2005, 01:06 PM
Could anyone suggest some really strong and bold hardy plants that will be suitable for a modern garden, it'll be to compliment the black bamboo we are planting.

Thanks
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2005, 01:37 PM
Nothing in particular as I'm not terribly up on plants, but we have put up laurels for evergreen screening - so far we have managed to prune without damaging leaves.

How about - dare I say it - Fern? And heather?
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

04-08-2005, 01:54 PM
Wow looks like it will be amazing MC!!

Is that a gate into the back half of the garden? excellent idea something I will bear in mind when we do ours (great way to keep the dog in one section!)

Please post more pics 'during' so we can check up on ur progress!

(PS what software did u use to do the 3d models?)
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2005, 04:45 PM
Hi LS

Thought about having ferns LOL but they tend to attract loads of slugs and creepy crawlys I've got some heather but they aren't doing too good - think it's too hot in our garden for them to cope....oiiiii this is hard work finding plants that can handle Kent's very bizarre weather patterns.

Thanks Azz, glad you like it!

Yes got two gates, as you say sectioning out the garden, and great for security too - hopefully this will act as a deterrent until Fern is big enough to growl at unwanted visitors on our behalf

The program used is 3D Studio Max, OH tends to switch between Maya and Max. The above example isn't very good, OH had to draft it up in a hurry as the landscape gardens decided to come over this morning with little warning wanting to see designs they didn't arrive, so we rang them, said they would come this afternoon....and they didn't turn up

Usually he would spend a good day modelling, texturing and then a good half day of rendering..but it gives the general idea of it.

Promise to post photos on its progress, just hope we can get it looking like the 3d image....now all we have to do is somehow make the neighbours 5 small screaming kids sound proof....

Please let me know how you guys get on with your garden too - would love to see the progress!

Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2005, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by maplecottage
Could anyone suggest some really strong and bold hardy plants that will be suitable for a modern garden, it'll be to compliment the black bamboo we are planting.

Thanks
perhaps Cordyline for their strong lines (and Antipodean connection) or Castor Oil Plant, which is hardy and strong-growing and is a good 'architectural plant', as they say
Woofer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2005, 06:01 PM
Wow, you have done wonders, and the 3d pic is amazing it will look stunning, have no idea what plants though, stinging nettles grow really well in our garden, lol
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

04-08-2005, 06:03 PM
Great stuff MC - good programs too! n good on your OH for gettin into them

Will keep u updated on the garden - but u might be waiting a while... its last on the list

Cant wait to see yours! How long do u think it will take?
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2005, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by Dinahsmum
perhaps Cordyline for their strong lines (and Antipodean connection) or Castor Oil Plant, which is hardy and strong-growing and is a good 'architectural plant', as they say
Hi Kazz, I was looking at the Cordyline this morning but was a bit worried about the size it can grow to - although it would be in a pot they say it does need to be removed from the pot and planted in the garden - had one back in NZ and it was massive!

Do you know much about the dwarf palms or anything that can stay in a confined space to prevent overgrowth?

Thanks appreciate it Kazz.

maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2005, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by eRaze
Great stuff MC - good programs too! n good on your OH for gettin into them

Will keep u updated on the garden - but u might be waiting a while... its last on the list

Cant wait to see yours! How long do u think it will take?
LOL Gardens are usually the last on the list, but OH was tired of my glum face being kept indoors all day, he decided that we'd better get that garden sorted - plus Fern's imminent arrival has helped the cause.

Time scale, hopefully before 31st August, well that's the aim anyway. They should be able to do it within 3 days we think.

OH has just told me he's changed the garden design totally he's about to mock it up in 3d again - he won't tell me what the changes are, once he's done I'll post it.

We're seeing the landscape gardeners on Monday so it gives him time to refine it.

Material wise we will be using oak sleepers, slate for path tiles, and some sort of decking. It'll be great if we could get a water feature in there too but this isn't essential - Fern would appreciate his very on water on tap I'm sure.

Can't wait
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >