Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bkford
New Member!
Female 

07-11-2014, 10:30 AM

Dog Extremely Restless and Whining

My 11-year-old tiny toy poodle, usually in good health, is exhibiting symptoms tonight that have me worried, and short of an ER visit, I have to wait a few hours for a vet to open. She is extremely restless and even whining some. She is scratching a lot and seems to have a rash, visible on her belly. She vomited once. I have some Benadryl on hand, as the vet prescribed 1/2 pill for a flight a few months ago, so I gave her 1/2 about 30 minutes ago. Any suggestions that might be helpful until I can get her to the vet?
Wolfwitch
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-11-2014, 03:14 PM
Hey Bkford, you are probably already at the Vet's by now.
Hope she's ok! Sounds like she's having a bad allergic reaction!
bkford
New Member!
Female 

07-11-2014, 03:43 PM
The Benadryl helped after about 45 minutes. She stopped hopping from place to place, stopped the whining and settled down on my lap and went to sleep. She only awoke occasionally, panted just a bit, but went back to sleep for most of the night. This morning the rash seems to be gone, and she is sleeping more. If it was an allergy, I can't imagine to what. But we are about to start on a 3-day road trip back home where her lifelong vet is, so if there are no more flares today, I may wait to see her.
Wolfwitch
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-11-2014, 03:48 PM
Glad to hear that.
Benadryl would normally help if she was having an anxiety or panic attack, which I suppose could cause vomiting if she was really getting worked up, but then I'm not a vet, so just taking a guess here

At her age, I can imagine you wouldn't want to take any chances.
Jakesmummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-11-2014, 03:54 PM
Oh poor baby. At that age it really scares u don't it. No idea what's would be wrong but just wanted to send love and hugs to your fur baby
bkford
New Member!
Female 

07-11-2014, 04:08 PM
Thanks for responses. At the firs sign of repeat symptoms today, I will phone her vet back home. If she thinks Sassi should be seen, I will take her, before we start the road trip. But if she seems fine, i'll skip the strange vet trip, as that in itself would be pretty stressful for Sassi. Still can't think what in the world could have caused it, but it does seem like it might have been allergy. Could a different shampoo used two weeks ago just now be causing this? Surely not?
Jakesmummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-11-2014, 05:51 PM
Not after two week .��
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2014, 06:01 PM
I wouldn't think it was the shampoo either Could be anything really.Like humans,dogs can have an allergic reaction to something that never bothered them previously.Mine is 11 and this Past Summer is the first time she has suffered from hay fever.
Hope you can get to the bottom if it,good luck xx
Wolfwitch
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-11-2014, 06:03 PM
No, I would have thought the effect would be instant, within hours.
What you described sounded more like she ingested something that didn't agree with her.
No chance she got into poison ivy or any other plants/roots ?
bkford
New Member!
Female 

07-11-2014, 06:13 PM
That's what I thought, about the shampoo. I don't think she could have gotten into any poison ivy, or weeds, or fertilizer, or anything like that. While in Washington, we live in a well-kept subdivision, and Sassi is always with us when we walk on the walking paths. Now, when we get back to MO (our primary home), there we live in the woods, and we could expect something like this I suppose. But knowing it is likely an allergic reaction, and since it is not getting worse but better, I'm not as worried. I wonder if she could've gotten "into" something when I didn't see her when we were walking. Hard to believe, but she has never been on a leash. She walks right beside or right behind us, and so I could see how she might have sniffed out something while she was out of my view while walking. Maybe that's it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >