Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-02-2012, 06:34 PM

Worming a raw fed dog

Just wondering what other raw feeders do I have been using advocate every month on Ranger and then a milbemax tablet every 3 months. I'm beginning to wonder if this is overkill All his food comes from the butchers or bulmers, he doesn't get roadkill or anything like that. Do I really need to be worming him every month? I have frontline spray in the house that I can use for flea treatment, although I'm not convinced that needs to be used this time of year. So could I just go to a normal worming every 3 months?
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2012, 06:36 PM
I personally don't worm my dogs unless they get worms. Never have done, never will. I don't see how pumping the body with a load of chemicals is good (just like me and my hubby don't take pain killers/ABs unless absolutely necessary).

They have garlic in their treats, which I know is helpful to prevention of fleas, but don't know if it has anything to do with anti-worms.

ETA - my two have never had worms whilst they've been with me
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-02-2012, 06:39 PM
Pereg has Drontal Plus just twice a year. My vet knows she is now on raw but still reckons that twice a year is sufficient.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2012, 06:40 PM
I have a post it note on my laptop that says "Worm dogs" It's been there for a month.. so they're a month overdue. I think I'm going to be one of these who worms when they have them, Louie's meat is from a supplier and the rabbits he gets are gutted.

Mine also don't get flea treated during the winter months, they will be wearing flea collars in the Spring through till Autumn.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2012, 06:48 PM
I only worm mine once as pups when the breeder tells me it's due, then only ever if they get worms. Dan has had them once, so all the dogs were wormed. I worm the cat once a year just to be safe, as he doesn't use a litter tray so I can't check his poo. I buy Drontal online when I need to use a wormer.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2012, 07:06 PM
I don't worm Jake, I will do if he gets them. When I got him he had them but he hasn't had them since. I don't like giving him chemicals that he doesn't need... I'm just not comfortable with the idea.
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-02-2012, 08:58 PM
Oh thank goodness for that . I prefer not to worm if I don't have to, same with flea treatment. I prefer not to vaccinate either, but unfortunately with insurance you have to Oh well, I'll stick with 3 monthly from now on, just to be on the safe side, and flea treat in the summer months Thanks all.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2012, 10:05 AM
i worm mine when i remember

i dont tend to bother unless they have worms, which they never have. daphni is being done at the minute because of the puppies, and of course the puppies have been done too.

i got told you are meant to do it every 3 months, but i dont, i dont see why they need it, they get done once a year, maybe twice if i remember.

the cats get done twice a year, because they go out and kill mice, rabbits etc and eat them, just like the cats get treated for fleas more than what the dogs do.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2012, 02:13 PM
I worm mine religiously every 3 months. I always used to worm them regularly anyway put upped it to every 3 months once they were put on raw.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2012, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by jesterjenn View Post
I personally don't worm my dogs unless they get worms. Never have done, never will. I don't see how pumping the body with a load of chemicals is good (just like me and my hubby don't take pain killers/ABs unless absolutely necessary).

They have garlic in their treats, which I know is helpful to prevention of fleas, but don't know if it has anything to do with anti-worms.

ETA - my two have never had worms whilst they've been with me
Same. I can't remember the last time I wormed any of mine.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >