Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2009, 09:04 AM

Bats

Last night i was looking out the front windows from the bedroom and was quite surprised to see bats flying round as we live in the middle of a housing estate.

Does anyone else gets bats flying near their house? It then lead me to think about putting up a bat box, anyone got one of these and if so, is it used??
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2009, 10:06 PM
We do here, quite alot, never really thought of putting up a bats box though, as I once had one land in the bedroom during the night.
I had got up to go to the toilet and left the bedroom window open one summer.....don;t know who was most upset me or the bat, it had lodged down the side of the bed.

Got it out in the end....I'm glad to report
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2009, 11:14 PM
I love them, find them amazing to watch. When we went to longleat they had a room that was semi-dark and you could walk through it and have the bats flying past you.

When I was little and we lived in the countryside we used to see them all the time but now living in a town I was really surprised to see them flying round the house.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2009, 11:19 PM
I've just been sat watching the bats outside our house tonight. We live opposite a church and they roost there so we get quite a few at dusk. Fab to see.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 06:42 AM
We get lots round here I love to watch the way they zoom across the sky. I just love bats they have such cute little faces.
I remember going to Chester Zoo and going into the bat cave. It's a fantastic experience. They have a walk through done like a cave and it's all in twighlight you can feel the little ones swishing past you. I took my camcorder wihich has night vision....awsome, until the keeper told me that night vision camera's disturb them, But after a while your eyes adjust.

Some of the big ones are just beautiful.....worth a visit that!!!!! I must have been in there for hours, you know how time flies and OH doesn't like this sort of thing so he waited outside....had a right gob on when I came out..can't really blame him though. I got talking to the keeper and he was so knowledable I lost all track of time

Elaine xx
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 06:49 AM
ooo I hate them! scarey little things. When I was younger I worked on the little Island of Sark. There are no street lights on the island & at night you had to walk with a torch. You could feel them all around you - gave me the creeps (especially when bladdered & trying to find my way back from the pub!)
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 06:55 AM
I've had bats where evere I'ved lived they are brilliant. Love them, wish I could take a piccie of them but they are soooo fast lol!
Sill had a thrill yesterday standing amongst a swarm of bees as they made their new home, fantastic!
Becky
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 07:07 AM
Oooooo yes, we get bats too and I've thought about putting up a box so will watch this with interest.

Becky...bees are one of my new favourite things.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 07:09 AM
Coincidentally, one flew over my head Friday evening when I was out with Roxy - it was just starting to get dark, and I couldn't see it properly, but the neighbour I was talking to said it was definitely a bat - wonderful
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 07:30 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Oooooo yes, we get bats too and I've thought about putting up a box so will watch this with interest.

Becky...bees are one of my new favourite things.
You'd love it up here then as I'm staying on a honey farm, who supply Buckingham Palace

Becky
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >