View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
emma-rose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-09-2008, 07:03 AM

Anyone have experience of an umbilical hernia?

Hi,

Just picked up our new pup last night and when we arrived at home we noticed he has a small umbilical hernia. The breeders vet had made a note of it on his details but the breeder himself did not say anything. We have not seen the pup for a couple of weeks since we reserved him.

Anyway, I have an appointment with my vet this afternoon to give him the once over and check this out but just curious if anyone had experienced this.

thanks

em..
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-09-2008, 07:16 AM
Star had a tiny hernia at 8 weeks. It was less than a cm in size and was gone completely by the time she was chipped at around 4 months.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 07:22 AM
I had a kitten with an umbilical hernia , she got it fixed when she got spayed .
I have seen pups for sale where they say they have one with an umbilical hernia it is usually less expensive than the others as the people who buy it are most probably going to have to pay to get it fixed
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

12-09-2008, 08:00 AM
Ollie has one some days it is more prominent than others. Our Vet advised us to leave it but just monitor and if it gave him trouble take him to see them, he is turned 2 now and never had any trouble with it.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-09-2008, 08:06 AM
Frankie had his sorted when he was neutered, he's a small dog and it was about the size of a malteser. He's not a pedigree and he was free but usually pedigrees would be sold at a lower price.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 08:34 AM
My ex had 2 pups from the same litter that both had hernias, slightly bigger than a malteser, as Trouble said. They were 3 when we split up and neither of the dogs had them fixed, the vet said there was no need, and it doidn't cause them any bother. We didn't have them neutered though (his decision NOT mine!) so I guess if they had been the vet may have fixed it then.
Irish Setter Mu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-09-2008, 08:56 AM
My middle Irish Setter, Rusty, was born with one (now 8.5 years old). To be honest I didn't know what it was as none of my previous dogs had ever had one. I was a bit miffed that the breeders hadn't said anything. The vet said just to gently press it back in from time to time. We did this for a while when he was a puppy and he never had any problem with it.

It is very difficult to see now as he is a hairy monster, but if I gentle rub my finger over it I can feel a small lump.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 10:52 AM
A friends GSDs litter mate had one. All I can tell you is that the people that were originally to have him pulled out. He got sold at approx 10 weeks old.
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 12:20 PM
Freddie still has his. We got him at 12 weeks and the vet noticed it then,he still has it now. We mentioned to the vet about having this tied when he had his snip but the vet said he wasn't concerned about it so we've left it be
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2008, 12:32 PM
I have never had a pup with one, but the breeder should have told you about it, Its really bad practice not to talk to you about it, the dog may or may not need surgery, depending on the size,

Did they give you a set time to have the dog checked by your vet? if so did they say if a problem was found the puppy could be returned, or another puppy given in its place,
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >