View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2008, 08:28 AM

What are the differences between dogs and bitches in your breed?

Just having this conversation with a friend this morning and thought it would make an interesting topic.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2008, 10:04 AM
I presumme you mean other than the obvious

It's a hard one as they all seem to have different positions, that they undertake in the 'pack' so to speak.

Inside the home Reah is the guard dog definately, but outside (off lead) Bruce always assumes lead looking over his shoulder every few mins, almost like I'm in charge now, type of attitude. Skye's abit in the middle in both home and outside.

But if there is any trouble...say another dog attacked Skye or Bruce (Reah doesn't seem to ever get attacked), then Reah is the one sorting it out first, backed-up by Bruce....Skye's on the Oh! not getting involved' fence and quickly moves off.

But Skye is the '''Mother''' to Bruce and Reah is the Gran'....who has to be obeyed. (although none of them are related)

Think that makes sense

ps. hope that's what your question is all about.............LOL LOL
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2008, 10:12 AM
Goodness that is difficult; in my breed they are totally different but it is hard to say why. Males are a little bigger, hold themselves in a different way, present with a little more bone and muscle. Look broader in the head and shout masculine; the bitches are more refined and more feminine.

You do see examples of doggy bitches and bitchy males but in the show ring at least they would be considered not of good type. Not sure these differences are evident to the GP but to the breeds admirers unmistakable in a good specimen.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2008, 10:15 AM
I find the bitches more intelligent, devious and challenging, with the dogs what you see is what you get, they are definitely on the thick side but demand more cuddles too and are constant from one day to the next.
Or maybe that's just mine!
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-06-2008, 10:16 AM
Males dobes can be much more of a handful than females, especially during adolescence when they may try to assert their authority. They are physically stronger than females, and can be difficult to control by people inexperienced with the breed. Whilst males may not always be the first to instigate a fight with another dog, they are territorial and will not tolerate any aggressive behaviour from other dogs. However, some males are very tolerant of other dogs, whilst some bitches can behave aggressively. Bitches may be quite affected by their hormones during seasons, whilst a dogs temperament is the same all year round.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2008, 10:23 AM
Only had the one ES bitch and two boys, but I found Tess was more self assured, more dominant and independent, hated other dogs on her territory.... whereas Jamie and Deacon allow anyone and anything into their home, if I say its ok
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2008, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by Deccy View Post
I find the bitches more intelligent, devious and challenging, with the dogs what you see is what you get, they are definitely on the thick side but demand more cuddles too and are constant from one day to the next.
oh yes!! I recognise that!

However, I'm starting to realise with Eddy he's not just this cute senile boy - he's putting it on!!

With Takara I know she knows what she's doing, with Eddy he makes out like he doesn't but I'm slowly realising that he's a little mischief and just blames it on his age!!

From what I've seen as well, the bitches are better with other dogs unless they're really not good with other dogs whereas the dogs are more predisposed to having issues with other males but tend to be ok with bitches. Even the neutered guys.
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-06-2008, 01:51 PM
Good thread random...enjoyed reading it all!
Look foward to more posts!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

16-06-2008, 02:04 PM
With Bernese the bitches are supposed to be more aloof and not stand any nonsense from anyone, also harder to train but only having owned a dog not sure if this is the case. Ollie can be aloof and doesn't take kindly to dominant or naughty puppies anymore.
You can see the difference physically in Bernese between bitches and dogs.
basi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-06-2008, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by Deccy View Post
I echo that with my breed also

The bitches are definatly the thinkers in my breed.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >