Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2007, 08:00 AM

TV switching itself on.....

I cam e down this morning to find our tv merrily playing away. I switched it off last night before bed but it has come on again overnight. Before you say I have lost my marbles my daughter remembers me doing it as it was in the middle of something she was watching. It has also happened earlier this week. On that occasion I thought I had forgotten to switch it off but now I am not so sure.

I don`t want to to be told about spooky stuff , but is there a logical, electrical,explanation for this?
It was only switched onto standby, not off at the socket.
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2007, 08:43 AM
how strange

we had something happening in our house a few years ago and it took us ages to get to the bottom of it but we finally did, and then all had a good laugh about it
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2007, 09:19 AM
Could dog/cat stand on sit on remote control and "accidentally turn tv back on??? Ben can get stuff on my Sky remote I can't just by jumping up on sofa and standing or lying on remote (just wish I knew how he did it)

Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2007, 09:24 AM
tut tut tut it should be switched off at the mains lol! As it was on standby then it only needs a bit of interference to trigger back on so best bet is switch off at mains all appliances, you'd also be surprised at how much electricity you save! I only pay a tenner a month now and that's the cheapest it's ever been!
Becky
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2007, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
tut tut tut it should be switched off at the mains lol! As it was on standby then it only needs a bit of interference to trigger back on so best bet is switch off at mains all appliances, you'd also be surprised at how much electricity you save! I only pay a tenner a month now and that's the cheapest it's ever been!
Becky

LOL yes I know......I would have to have houdini arms to do that as the socket is behind the cabinet. I will have to devise a way methinks don`t want the gremlins to have too much fun.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2007, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
Could dog/cat stand on sit on remote control and "accidentally turn tv back on??? Ben can get stuff on my Sky remote I can't just by jumping up on sofa and standing or lying on remote (just wish I knew how he did it)

dog in kitchen behind gate.
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2007, 10:00 AM
Sometimes this happens to our TV, with us it's the remote control being sensative, or us holding down the off buttom down too long, and it switches itself back on again, it doens't happend very often, but is easily overlooked at the time of switching it off as our TV takes a few seconds to start up, by which time we've left the room

You can buy remote controlled socket plugs now, so you can turn them off at the plug and not have to leave them on standby all night, and not have Houdini arms to do it
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2007, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by CLMG View Post
Sometimes this happens to our TV, with us it's the remote control being sensative, or us holding down the off buttom down too long, and it switches itself back on again, it doens't happend very often, but is easily overlooked at the time of switching it off as our TV takes a few seconds to start up, by which time we've left the room

You can buy remote controlled socket plugs now, so you can turn them off at the plug and not have to leave them on standby all night, and not have Houdini arms to do it

Oh thanks I`ll have a peek online.That would help a lot.
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2007, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
Oh thanks I`ll have a peek online.That would help a lot.

Here's a link to the one I saw or they do do individual ones as well, just search for remote controll socket

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/na...&isSearch=true
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2007, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by CLMG View Post
Here's a link to the one I saw or they do do individual ones as well, just search for remote controll socket

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/na...&isSearch=true

Looks like OH's xmas present is sorted then!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >