Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Blackie's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2007, 05:23 PM

family member driving illegally

ok this is an issue that i have to deal with and just wanted others input into

have found out that my 17 yr old is driving regularly with no licence and insurance. my gut instinct is to shop him to the police as would feel terrible if he hurt someone in an accident but what would you do??

sue

ps he has also drink problems.........he has had no lessons and hasnt even got a provisional licence
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2007, 05:26 PM
i might feel terrible if he were my son but i would feel worse if he killed himself or someone else

i wouldn't hesitate if he didn't listen to me then i would let the police take over
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2007, 05:34 PM
Oh what an awful position for you to be in.

Under the circumstances you have described I would definately tell the police. Or maybe tell them you 'think he may be', rather than 'he definately is', and he may just get a caution and that might be enough to scare him?
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-09-2007, 05:50 PM
I think you have to do something.I know I would also find it difficult if I was faced with this problems with my sons.
You have to think of others safety and of course your Sons safety.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2007, 06:01 PM
I'm sorry but if it was my Son I'd have to shop him, that's if he didn't listen and was able to get out of the house after I'd locked him in! lol

You have to think of others too, and what would happen to him if he did have an accident, let alone others.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2007, 06:04 PM
I agree with others I'm afraid.

He is a danger to himself and other road users,If he was my son I wouldn't hesitate.
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2007, 06:10 PM
shop him - I wouldnt hesitate if it were one of my boys.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-09-2007, 06:12 PM
If he gets stopped, he is up for a serious offence.
Driving offences are criminal cases, drink driving, death by dangerous driving he would get the book thrown at him. He would end up with a custodial sentence if he hit some one even if hes under the influcence or not, it could be upped to manslaughter charge.
Plus he would have to live with the event for the rest of his life, even if he hasn't got a full driving licence points can still be added, so if or when he gets a full licence he could still be banned etc.

Honestly for his sake and others i would make him aware of the risk's hes taking, the police would have to stop him to bring it to court, but they catch a few.
Even if they think he driving without undue care and attention they have the right to pull him over and request his details, if he doesn't give them, he can still be arrested for failing to provide etc.

Me talk to him, if you need to shop him, if you don't you also have the guilt of not doing anything.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2007, 06:15 PM
I'm afraid I would inform the police, Sue, as much for his sake as for others around him.
*hugs*
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2007, 06:29 PM
Put it this way Sue, would you rather your 17 yr. old son got into trouble with the police, OR would you rather see another statistic of someone else's child being killed on our roads!!!! You know it makes sense!

If it makes you feel any better, I had to "shop" an alcoholic friend of mine, yes, I'm afraid I HAD to, because she would have killed not only herself but someone else, she was an alcoholic!!!!!! The police were waiting for her outside her usual haunt at 6pm. the off-licence! I didn't feel guilty, I probably saved her life and someone else's, so please do it!!!!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >