Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2007, 12:21 AM

Help please sickly puppy

My litter was boen last Tuesday and have been fine until now. One of the pups was really small at first and we had trouble getting her to eat but she seemed to be coming on ok.
Today I've noticed that she seems to be rattling a bitand it sounds like its coming from her lungs (she was born without the bag and we had to rescuittate her).
I've spoken to a couple of ny friends who breed and they've said theres nothing we can do but wait.
I wondered if any one had this experience and had tried a vet, we've tried so hard seems a pity to just let nature take its course at 10 days old.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2007, 12:25 AM
Unfortunately I do not have experience but i really hope the little one will be ok x
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2007, 12:37 AM
Hi, It could be fluid on her lungs, but if she's 20 days old that shouldn't really still be a problem unless dhe had meconium on her lungs or it has now developed into a respitory infection such as bronchitis/pnemonia or the like. I think she will need urgent veternary help. Has she got a temperature? Are mum and all the other puppies all okay, eating, pooing etc as they should be?
Think you need to seek help ASAP from a professional please just don't leave her like that.
Good luck.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2007, 12:44 AM
There 10 days old and she only started tonight to be honest. I wondered about a cleft palette noticed she brings a little milk down her nose. She doesnt seem to be in distress and shes not crying, and feeding regularily.
I've put a smalll finger in her mouth and cant feel a hole and she sucks really hard
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2007, 12:56 AM
That doesn't sound quite as bad then. You say 20 days old in your 1st post..it may just be as you said because of her size and she may have swallowed quite a bit of the amniotic fluid. If she's showing no other signs off illness/distress and is eating well with a strong sucking reflex it should be okay to just observe her for a while, although I'd still advise at least a telephone call to your vet to check. Has the vet checked the puppies as yet?
Keep us all posted, and again good luck with her. X
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2007, 01:04 AM
there were looked at by a vet a 48 hours and they all seemed to be ok.
This one just seems to have gone backwards over the last 48 hours. Her tongues pink and it seems thats a good sign, going to nip her to my vets tomorrow, if it is a cleft pallete it seems strange she was ok a day ok.
I've changed my orignal post, with the correct detail sorry for the mix up
Thanks for all your help, its my first litter and my last at this rate its a nightmare.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2007, 06:29 AM
Hope your little one is ok.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2007, 07:00 AM
I would ask if the vet would give you some synulox drops for the time being, we had the same with our little Charlie....ended up he had a very small cleft palate which was missed by 3 vets, his was on the soft palate right at the back, it wasn't until he was 6 weeks old that it was picked up. He too had a constant rattle (not from birth) but as he started getting bigger, the rattle seemed to appear...as the hole was getting bigger!

He has survived and is coming up 2 now and living in a very happy home! He has recently had the palate repaired as he started getting nose bleeds due to infections, but he's fighting fit.....and apparently very happy he can now have a different diet other than dried food!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-03-2007, 07:14 AM
Hope the puppy is ok.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2007, 07:37 AM
Hope all goes well at the vets today, keep us posted. Healing vibes being sent out to your tiny one.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >