Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2006, 06:15 PM

Transporting Home Prepared Baby Food

So far I've cooked 'solid' foods for Carys (except baby rice, which I haven't used very much) - she has had butternut squash, carrot, peas, broccoli, cauliflower, potato, parsnip, apple, pear and banana. Most of these are mashed or pureed (although she's pretty much graduated onto mash) and I freeze them in cubes and then bag them up.

Thing is, I've so far managed to avoid feeding her when out but she has developed quite an appetite of late so it's imminent. How do you do it?

All I can think of is bringing along the frozen cubes in a dish, a flask of hot water and a bowl to stick the water in and hoping they defrost in time but what if they don't defrost in time and the water loses heat? Or what if they defrost early - how long can they be kept before eating or discarding? Can you defrost before you leave the house and will the food keep for an hour or so in, say, a cleaned out jar?

I could use baby jars - I had some money off coupons so bought some HiPP Organic ones today - but I'd rather stick to home prepared food as much as possible where I can, but it does seem a bit of a faff.

As an aside - these days they don't recommend feeding dairy, meat, wheat or salt containing foods too soon but I saw some stage 1 jars (from 4 months) that contained all bar the salt and that was added in the stage 2 jars.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2006, 07:02 PM
hi ls

my pal does both - she uses jars as and when but she also takes home made stuff and asks for it to be heated when she can- problem being some places wont reheat due to health and safety etc !!

she takes it in a container in the insulated pouch thing, suppose it depends on where you are going. Also her son has learnt to eat things cold !!

he is 7 months

dani
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2006, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
hi ls

my pal does both - she uses jars as and when but she also takes home made stuff and asks for it to be heated when she can- problem being some places wont reheat due to health and safety etc !!

she takes it in a container in the insulated pouch thing, suppose it depends on where you are going. Also her son has learnt to eat things cold !!

he is 7 months

dani
Hey Dani! How's it going - any sign?

Thanks for that - I guess I could defrost and keep cool.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2006, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Hey Dani! How's it going - any sign?

nothing yet - but rumblings - am really uncomfy - but hey whats new !! LOL
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2006, 10:14 PM
Hi LS, maybe defrost and keep chilled with one of those cool bars, and then warm with your flasked water. I didn't realise that retailer's frown upon assisting because of heath and safety reasons!! Good luck - it was a long time ago for me, even though i remember it being a juggle!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2006, 10:24 PM
Thanks Trixybird, that sounds good - I've been taking things really slowly as she's still only 5 months but she's mad for food.