Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2006, 06:45 PM

Polish Disaster

I wonder if anyone has any suggestions. The other day my highly polished piano (mahogany) had little finger prints over it (grandchildren) which would not wipe off. My daughter very helpfully suggested that I wipe it down with a cloth which had been rinsed in detergent and then wrung out. It seemed to work at first, it cleared all the finger prints, and it striped off all the old built up polish, but as it dried it has left a very smeared surface. I have tried spraying with bees wax polish, but nothing seems to bring it up shiny again. So the upright part of the piano is nice and shiny, but the flat part that covers the keys when closed is dull and unshiny and looks awful. Any suggestions.
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-11-2006, 07:09 PM
HOW SHOULD I CARE FOR MY PIANO?

Treat your piano like a piece of valuable furniture: keep it clean and never stand drinks, vases of flowers, or pot plants on it. Spilled liquids can cause serious damage, the repair of which may amount to a major overhaul. New pianos are generally finished in polyester or satin lacquer, which requires only to be wiped with a damp cloth and carefully dried. No polish is needed. Older pianos are usually French polished and need greater care, using a polish reviver applied with a clean soft cloth and polished with a soft duster. On NO account use spray polish.
The key tops may be made of ivory or various kinds of substitute material. Any marks which cannot be removed with a damp cloth should be left for the piano tuner to deal with. Do not use any kind of spirit or polish.
http://www.pianotuner.org.uk/pta1.htm
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-11-2006, 07:57 PM
I think you need a french polisher to be honest
I did something similar to a blanket box - I've tried all kinds but nothing works
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2006, 09:02 PM
I use Topps scratch cover Kate - covers everything !
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2006, 09:06 PM
Beeswax Not the spray stuff, the wax that's in a tin. It's hard work, but it works
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-11-2006, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
Beeswax Not the spray stuff, the wax that's in a tin. It's hard work, but it works
Yep I agree, you can get a little jar of it in Tesco's with a bit of elbow grease it should work