Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shane
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-01-2013, 04:27 PM

Disappointed with training class

I visited a local training group today and was left a bit disappointed.

There was no reward based training at all and the dogs were forced to comply and met with angry owners if they didn't and non of the dogs looked to be enjoying being there.

One 16 week old puppy was being taught to lay down and stay there (again by force and no reward) and was constantly biting at the handler.
The handler was told he had a dominant and stubborn puppy.

I thought it was a puppy that didn't understand what it was being forced to do and was biting at the handler out of frustration

On asking about reward based training i was told, No food reward training is allowed incase it disturbs the other dogs
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

26-01-2013, 04:31 PM
You won't be going back then ?

Don't blame you if you don't.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2013, 04:59 PM
I always advise people to visit without their dogs if they are thinking about going to a training class.

One local to me has 2 trainers who don't allow treats(the dog doesn't learn anything & will only work for food !!)& the other 2 use treats but not in the correct way ! The crazy thing is all 4 trainers went on the same training course !!!!! which includes the correct use of treats & clickers

Visitors are welcome at our pet training classes we only use reward & clicker based methods
Shane
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-01-2013, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
You won't be going back then ?

Don't blame you if you don't.
I don't think so. I may have considered it if I was allowed to do my own thing as I think others may have learnt that there are other (better) ways of training.
I'd love to have spent a few training sessions with the puppy that was there but I don't think it's going to happen.

I'm in the same town as you Lynn, do you know of any decent clubs around here?

I know there's one at the Stow but I don't know what its like.
Shane
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-01-2013, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
I always advise people to visit without their dogs if they are thinking about going to a training class.

One local to me has 2 trainers who don't allow treats(the dog doesn't learn anything & will only work for food !!)& the other 2 use treats but not in the correct way ! The crazy thing is all 4 trainers went on the same training course !!!!! which includes the correct use of treats & clickers

Visitors are welcome at our pet training classes we only use reward & clicker based methods
I've heard this arguement before and is not far from the answer I got but I trained my nervious Westie entirerly with a clicker and treats and she does it all without treats too.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2013, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
I've heard this arguement before and is not far from the answer I got but I trained my nervious Westie entirerly with a clicker and treats and she does it all without treats too.
The really stupid thing is that the 2, who do not allow others to use treats, use treats to train the dog belonging to one of them !! Duh !
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-01-2013, 05:18 PM
Have you tried this link?

http://www.apdt.co.uk/dog-owners/local-dog-trainers
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

26-01-2013, 05:20 PM
I used the one at the Stow once with my NewfiexBerner 8 years ago only went for he induction and never went back. Not sure what its like now.

Someone a few weeks ago said they use one Tuesday evenings near the bowls club I think it is at Bush fair. Never used it myself.
A friend with three Berners used one Nazeing way I can ask her for more details if you would like.

I did take Ollie my previous Berner to a training school at Enfield think its at Forty Hall run by Steve Mann he was excellent and it is mostly run outdoors and he does Sundays. Ollie suffered from fear aggression to humans mostly he taught us how to manage him and although Ollie never got over it knowing how to handle him was useful and he did eventually make friends with Steve.
He allows treats in his classes they do agility too.
Other than that I haven't used any and not In Harlow.
Here's the link if Azz will allow it.

http://www.alphadogtrainingschool.co.uk/
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-01-2013, 05:25 PM
i once walked out of a class half way through as it was just the same as the OP posted.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2013, 06:36 PM
Oh what a shame. Probably best to phone first and check they do reward based training.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >