Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2012, 10:16 AM

NOt ready to go anywhere yet !!!

After such a crap day yesterday with vets etc, I was very down, woke up to a much happier dog today who wanted to go for a walk so we did.

Still not putting weight on his back leg but happy to be out and smelling the roses so to speak.

So I am not ready to give up yet regardless of what the ortho vet says and I don't think my beautiful boy is ready to go anywhere yet !!! what do you think ....

zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2012, 10:59 AM
Hi he is gorgeous, when my girl was ill last year in totally different circumstances (cancer) she went down hill rapidly in a month, we knew she had, had enough when my other half put her harness on for a walk and she wouldn't budge, she was just not well enough to go anymore, we had her pts 2 days later, your boy still looks happy to be out and about regardless of any pain he feels, are you going for the surgery or did it work out too risky? It's so hard when our big strong dogs suddenly start to remind us that they age too
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2012, 11:03 AM
Bless him, he is looking good...do not think his time is up yet Dani, he still has a twinkle in his eye.....
He is simply gorgeous....
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2012, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by zoeyvonne View Post
Hi he is gorgeous, when my girl was ill last year in totally different circumstances (cancer) she went down hill rapidly in a month, we knew she had, had enough when my other half put her harness on for a walk and she wouldn't budge, she was just not well enough to go anymore, we had her pts 2 days later, your boy still looks happy to be out and about regardless of any pain he feels, are you going for the surgery or did it work out too risky? It's so hard when our big strong dogs suddenly start to remind us that they age too
we won't know what the ortho vets recommendation is for about 4 days, however the vet we saw at own practice ( but not our normal guy) was just so negative about it I came away feeling very dejected. Thats not to say the Ortho vet won't say that there is no reason not to operate which I sincerely hope he does, thats exactly it he is an old boy but still pulls on his walks, still charges about and still has loads of life left, but its when you then start to doubt that you might be putting all your own feelings on them - but he still loves life.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

29-03-2012, 11:07 AM
He looks very happy to be out and about.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2012, 11:25 AM
That little lad doesn't look ready to me - he looks as though he's enjoying himself and while ever he can enjoy himself he's got a good quality of life

He'll tell you when he's had enough, but he certainly isn't telling you yet
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2012, 11:29 AM
Lovely photos, he looks very chilled and definitely enjoying life

Will you be able to talk to the ortho vet direct or will it all be through your own vet? if it was me (and particulary if he said 'too risky' I'd want to be able to speak to the ortho vet direct. Also make sure they have considered all op possibilities, not just tplo (which is a more intrusive op than the replacement ligament).
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2012, 11:45 AM
Aw bless him. I think you know best when the time is right and it certainly looks as though he's still enjoying himself.

I had a horrific time when my mums sister had just passed away..she was visiting and I was looking after the dog. I took Basset the BMD to the vet as he wouldn't move and had wet himself and was screaming the house down - vet has always said that his demise will be his arthritis. Got to the appt and the vet was talking about euthanasia, and I said no way - we have to power through and see what happens. Over a month later and he's back on his feet as though it never happened.

I hope Bruno continues to feel perky
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-03-2012, 11:57 AM
What do I think? I think that adorable Bruno is saying "no mom, I am not ready to go anywhere".

Please give him gentle huggles from me. xx
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2012, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Lovely photos, he looks very chilled and definitely enjoying life

Will you be able to talk to the ortho vet direct or will it all be through your own vet? if it was me (and particulary if he said 'too risky' I'd want to be able to speak to the ortho vet direct. Also make sure they have considered all op possibilities, not just tplo (which is a more intrusive op than the replacement ligament).
If they come back saying no to op then I would be speaking to them and also seeking second opinion. I did say that I wouldn't want to be conservative with treatment if there were other options, I want to give him them. I honestly think if we do nothing it's the beginning of the end for him so they need to do something to stabilise his leg. Everything crossed for good news xxx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >