Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hannaho
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-01-2012, 08:52 PM

RSPCA inspector

hi can anyone help please

over the last couple of years i have been looking to apply to become an rspca inspector, but theres never any vacancies on their website, i understand they would have loads of people intrested in this but do they stll take on trainees?
thanks
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2012, 09:19 PM
My cousin applied ooooh about 3 yrs ago now - they're really choosy and it's really hard to get through, I think if I remember correctly they had over 3000 applicants

You have to sit an initial interview with one of those aptitude test thingy's, then there's a 3 month on site training course too. Lots of laws and stuff to swat up on

To even get to interview you have to have a really strong animal / police type background!!! My cousin was a forensic scientist, luckily for her she made it through and loves it think she was one of about 25 which made it to the training course

Think she made initial contact via their website
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2012, 09:25 PM
They do prefer ex forces/police
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-01-2012, 09:59 AM
I have heard that they prefer people who have had authortive job roles, but im pretty sure if you have a good veterinary background then i have also heard you stand a little chance. So perhaps if you are a qualified vet nurse, who has had experience with a wide variety of animals (both domestic and wildlife) although thats very hard to come-by! You could give it a shot.

One thing you do need to consider is the amount of abuse you are willing and able to take. Some people can cope with that, others can find it a big shock to the system when they get people threatening/verbally abusing them.

If you feel you can deal with very nasty people, then give it a go. What can they do, say no? but if that is really the route to go down and you need more experience you could always apply to be a police community support officer, or see if your local police force needs any volunteers to help patrol. I'm sure Suffolk police have volunteer support officers, as i have seen them in the town centre before. It might just give you that little bit of experience at dealing with very difficult people.
CharleyMaddison
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Is anyone on this site an RSPCA/SSPCA Inspector?
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-01-2012, 01:23 PM
I think it would be a fabulous job to have but I couldnt hold my tongue/leave animal in poor situations. But then again i wouldnt get that far if shooting an animal with a captive bolt is still part of the training (saw this on a trainee inspector program)
Hannaho
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-01-2012, 08:38 PM
hi thanks for all your replies i have give it alot of thought and although would be hard , upsetting, tiring and everything else i think it would be so rewarding knowing that your potentially stopping cruelty. ill have to keep checking the website then - i really want a job im proud of any other ideas? i live in north wales not much around here to be honest!