Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
eyescrye
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-06-2011, 11:03 AM

How do you get rid of bindweed???????

I have bindweed that i have been batteling with every year,i tried digging it up but without any success as next year it wraps around my large yucca and bamboo,i cant dig in to deep as i will disturb the other plants,and i dont want to and cant use a pesticide as other plants and birds,,so thought i would ask how can i get rid of the thing
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 11:25 AM
Daily weeding is the only way. Or dig it up and get rid of every piece.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 11:27 AM
Unfortunately, it's digging/pulling or glyphosphate....

If you give it something to grow up (old cane, piece of trellis etc), you can then use a weed killer more efficiently and effectively. RoundUp is the one to use on bindweed.

Other than that, you keep pulling it off the plants/fencing and digging it up and disposing of the roots. Don't put it in your home compost bins, however, it's usually fine to go in your council-collected green waste (their composting takes places on a larger scale, and is hot enough to kill the weed)

I hate the stuff.....
eyescrye
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-06-2011, 12:35 PM
thanks guys,its never ending isnt it,i will try to do the trellising and see if control of it, then destruction,works better then battleing with it.i wouldnt mind it being on the fence or trellis but i cant have it on my yucca.thanks.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 02:25 PM
Ahhh.....thats what it's called! (googled it to look at the pic)
Have a prob in my garden wth it too!
I always pull it up (it comes from next door), but they never do a thing about it, so it spreads back into my garden
ste
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-06-2011, 04:56 PM
ahhhhh bindweed........the bane of my life, the stuff has such long roots, that it seems virtually impossible to get rid of it.
Its a continuous war in my veggie garden
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 05:03 PM
bane of my life too,
eyescrye
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-06-2011, 05:35 PM
its a real nuscance,it grows so rapidly,i have it where my blackberries are but i just get rid every year it still grows back,but i dont mind because for some reson i think it helps the birds at being able to land easier on the blackberry bushes,and theres lots of fruit to share.but i dont want it anywhere else and the roots seem to go on for ever you can never get rid off it,argh..
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 06:02 PM
You can't! I've heard about this stuff on the sunday morning gardening programme, and in all honestly, I don't think you can get rid of it altogether. I'm off to google to see what this stuff looks like now!