Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2011, 08:02 PM

Staffie attacked

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co....l/article.html

Fears Pit Bull "Tiger" is on the loose in Gloucester after pet attack

A FIERCE dog tore into a family pet – and his devastated owners want the savage mutt and his keepers caught before a child is attacked.

Ellen and Paul Watkins said the Pit Bull-type dog known as "Tiger" ripped apart their Staffordshire Bull Terrier Max.

Max was so badly injured that Mr Watkins, 50, could see his pet's lungs through a hole in his side.

He said the two hoodie-wearing owners did not stop the attack in Gloucester Park.
Click here for more

It happened in broad daylight as he took Max for a walk last Sunday.

"It's quite horrifying to see your dog chewed up by something much bigger," said Mr Watkins, who said other owners and dogs have been threatened by Tiger recently.

"His owners did nothing. There's usually three lads with him and on Sunday there were two – I wanted their name and where they lived, but they ran off towards Wellington Street.

"I tried to take pictures on my mobile phone but they didn't come out."

Mr Watkins, who lives in central Gloucester with his wife, had to kick Tiger in the face to force him off Max – then Tiger went for him.

After kicking him off again, he claims Tiger and his owners ran off.

Max, who was on a lead at the time of the attack, suffered puncture wounds on his back and legs, and a tear down his flank so deep that a lung was visible.

He has been treated by a vet who has given him painkillers and antibiotics.

Mr Watkins said he first saw the dog, which he believes is a Pit Bull type, last summer when it was a puppy.

"It's called Tiger – it's an orange or brown colour with brown stripes," he said.

"When it was a puppy they were calling it Tiger.

"Then, I assumed it was a Staffie, but it looks like it has some Pit Bull in it.

"It's six to eight inches taller than Max."

Mr Watkins, 50, who also walks Max in the park, fears Tiger could strike again.

"They have got to learn to at least put him on a lead and muzzle him," he said.

"Max weighs five stone and could look after himself but he didn't stand a chance.

"This Tiger dog has attacked a friend's dog too.

"It's always off the lead.

"I worry that he will attack again, and as the park has a lot of children playing there, he could go for a child."

Pit Bull type dogs are one of four banned in the UK, along with Japanese Tosas, Dogo Argentino, and Fila Braziliero.

They are not recognised as breeds and it is illegal to sell, abandon, give away, or breed them under the Dangerous Dogs Act.

Banned dogs are not recognised as a breed, but a type. If a dog has characteristics of a banned type, it may be treated as such regardless of its parents' breed or type.

Pit Bull type dogs include American Staffordshire Terriers, Irish Staffordshire Terriers, and Irish Blue or Red Nose.

Staffordshire Bull Terriers, like Max, are not a banned type.

Seven Pit Bull-type dogs were destroyed after a raid on a home in St Aldwyn Road, Tredworth, Gloucester in December.

Police confirmed they had been contacted about a dog attack in Gloucester Park on Sunday at 1.30pm.

Anyone who knows Tiger's owners or has seen the dog, is asked to call police on 0845 090 1234 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111, quoting incident number 252/6/2/11.

■ Have you seen Tiger? Call The Citizen on 01452 420 621.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2011, 08:21 PM
When will all this ever end? There needs to be very much more legistlation and vigilance, awareness of what is going on Dogs have sadly become a very easy money making venture for many. Don't think, sadly will ever be sorted despite many folks efforts to try bring about change. If humans cannot look after their own with care n compassion, what chance is there for others
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2011, 08:26 PM
How many times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really hope Max recovers xxxx
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

12-02-2011, 08:37 PM
All down to irresponsible owners.

I hope Max recovers.
HiHoSilver
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-02-2011, 12:11 AM
Something odd.A wound so deep the dogs lungs were visible through the hole and no surgery?Just antibiotics and painkillers?A pit that stopped attacking another dog that it already ripped a hole in because of a kick in the head? I've stopped a few dog fights in my time (ordinary rather than pitbulls!) and I've never managed it without getting hold of the dogs and dragging them apart.The pitbull attacked the man and again driven off by a kick?AND the kicking man has no holes in him?
Sorry but there's something extremely not right with this story.
As Judge Judy is so fond of saying "If it doesn't make sense it's probably not true!"
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2011, 12:23 AM
Originally Posted by HiHoSilver View Post
Something odd.A wound so deep the dogs lungs were visible through the hole and no surgery?Just antibiotics and painkillers?A pit that stopped attacking another dog that it already ripped a hole in because of a kick in the head? I've stopped a few dog fights in my time (ordinary rather than pitbulls!) and I've never managed it without getting hold of the dogs and dragging them apart.The pitbull attacked the man and again driven off by a kick?AND the kicking man has no holes in him?
As Judge Judy is so fond of saying "If it doesn't make sense it's probably not true!"
This is exactly what I was thinking. The dog has been given painkillers and antibiotics but no mention of any stitches. Yes and I watch Judge Judy.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2011, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by HiHoSilver View Post
I agree. I've been in the unfortunate position 3 times of trying to get a Staffie to let go during an attack. They do not let go. You have to open their jaws. Something really does not ring true here and it saddens and angers me that once again, the vultures are screaming 'pit bull' when this one quite possibly wasn't.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2011, 09:46 AM
You can see the stitching and wound drains in the picture so I think it's just a case of media editing. However, I did think they were fortunate to be able to stop the attack with a kick to the dog's face. I'm not sure I would be able to do anything else personally if it was my dog!
lolly2012
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-02-2011, 10:38 AM
Hello I do agree I think it's media editing, However I have been In a similar situation twice myself and on both occasions my dog was on a lead and was attacked by an off lead dog, may I add two different dogs and many years apart. The first time it took 3 kicks by me to get the dog off my dog then it ran off the second occasion it took two kicks and the dog ran off and on both occasions I expected to get bitten myself and I wasn't. so it does sound feasible to me.
HiHoSilver
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-02-2011, 11:35 AM
Okay the dog was hurt worse than the report suggested (I didn't go to the link) but that staff was not attacked by a pitbull.Bull breeds LOCK ON.They have a very high pain threshold.A kick is a tickle to them.It's what they're famous for.Heaven knows what Tiger is but he's no pit.
Whatever he is (I'm not losing sight of this) he needs finding and putting down,he's become without doubt a dangerous dog. His owners have some vet bills they're responsible for and I hope will be forced to pay considerable compensation to the staff owners for the distress this has caused them and their dog.It would be nice to see them banned from keeping dogs too as responsibility is clearly alien to them.
Pits are not a banned breed here so I see a lot of them.Not my taste in breeds,just not keen on their looks,but the ones I see are family pets and the nicest dogs you could meet.Safe with children and other dogs.
I HATE seeing them branded with the media inspired 'Dog from Hell' title.It's just not true.
Labradors can be nasty sods in the wrong hands but let a labrador bite someone and it instantly becomes a pitbull!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >