Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2011, 06:50 PM

What can't dogs digest???

A couple of things I've read on here recently have made me think about a few things.

What foods commonly given to dogs can they NOT digest, whether it is often included in dry/wet complete food or often given as extras......etc you get what I mean.......

Thanks
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 09:07 PM
They cannot digest raw vegetables - some dogs not at all, others seem to manage a bit better. With my 2, they love raw carrots. Tai's poos contain definite pieces of recognisable carrot, with Ben you can just see areas of orangey/red semi-digested carrot.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 09:21 PM
Corn on the cob. When we (rarely) have this my dogs like to have a bite around whilst you hold the cob (probably got something to do with the remains of butter on there!) but it comes out as it went in so not nice clearing up poo with yellow sweetcorn bits interspersed!
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2011, 09:38 PM
Thanks guys

Yes I've noticed the same when looking at poop, arh I feel like gillian mckeith saying that!

I know blending up veg makes it easier to digest(?) does cooking / steaming etc help even more or not

So veg pealings etc won't do that much good if just given as they are

There is often talk of cereals/grains not being digested very well or not being of much use to a dog but others add them to the dogs diet, does it depend on the dog / type of cereal/grain
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by nddogs View Post
Thanks guys

Yes I've noticed the same when looking at poop, arh I feel like gillian mckeith saying that!

I know blending up veg makes it easier to digest(?) does cooking / steaming etc help even more or not

There is often talk of cereals/grains not being digested very well or not being of much use to a dog but others add them to the dogs diet, does it depend on the dog / type of cereal/grain
I think something like brown rice is a better type of cereal to feed but I think some dogs are more sensitive in the tummy department than others. My Kerries have jippy tummies if you feed them bones-Parker had diorrhea that proceeded out of him in a fountain from his back end which was not pleasant (sorry too much information)!

That is why I couldn't ever feed them on the BARF diet though I do try and feed them a good quality complete kibble or home-cooked food such as chicken/white fish& brown rice or pasta plus veggies.
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 09:48 PM
I'm sure I heard something about them not being supposed to eat raw potato skins?

Toby has carrot alot and it does come out the same. It does mean that I can definately tell which poo is his!
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2011, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
I think something like brown rice is a better type of cereal to feed but I think some dogs are more sensitive in the tummy department than others. My Kerries have jippy tummies if you feed them bones-Parker had diorrhea that proceeded out of him in a fountain from his back end which was not pleasant (sorry too much information)!

That is why I couldn't ever feed them on the BARF diet though I do try and feed them a good quality complete kibble or home-cooked food such as chicken/white fish& brown rice or pasta plus veggies.
Thanks (well not for the fountain part!) Do you cook the veg??
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2011, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by wallaroo View Post
I'm sure I heard something about them not being supposed to eat raw potato skins?

Toby has carrot alot and it does come out the same. It does mean that I can definately tell which poo is his!
No we don't feed potatoe pealings mainly carrot and broccoli stalks etc

Yes my dog ate a sweet wrapper once (no sweet in it just wrapper) I def knew a certain poo was his thats something they can't digest
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by nddogs View Post
Thanks guys

Cooking does make them easier to digest, just as for us, however you are losing some if not all of the nutrients. Pounding them to a pulp in a smoothie maker is much the best way to go.

Personally, I do not feed grain of any type to my dogs - including rice. I look to nature as being the best way to feed my dogs, and in the wild they sure do not eat kibble, or rice or any other cereal, grain or carbohydrate, or open a tin of Chappie. They get the little requirement for carbs they have from the liver of their prey. I have 2 very large dogs, and my daughter's chihuahua - they are all fed the same, raw meat, bones, and pureed raw veg with cod liver oil, raw carrots to clean their teeth and raw chicken wings.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 02:20 PM
I have three dogs and they can all let themselves out to toilet in my yard and don't always poo on a walk, so occasionally I need to use detective methods to figure out which of them has the upset tummy. A handful of sweetcorn in one bowl, diced carrot in another is a really good way of clearly seeing who's is who's

Wild dogs do eat fruits, roots, and chew grasses as well as eating the partly digested grain and vegetation content of their prey's stomach, so not completely alien to them to eat.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >