Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2010, 04:53 PM

Concerned about my Granda - passed out

Hello all,

Just a bit of a moan really. Sorry.

I'm really worried about my beloved Granda. He passed out in the house last night and took a while to come round. He woke up with my granny trying to get him up and his dog, Bobby, licking his face.

He has been a heavy smoker for years and I've always hated it - and he knows it. He's tried to stop a few times and always started again, much to my dismay and annoyance. I'm always on at him to stop.

Anyway, my first thought was lack of oxygen in his blood, causing him to black out and collapse, and the doctor thinks the same.

However, the doctor didn't even take his blood pressure and is not referring him for any tests. Is this not quite strange? Wouldn't blood pressure be one of the first things to be checked?

They're giving him tablets to help stop him smoking - what are these? I've never heard of tablets to stop smoking before.

I've told him to get back to another doctor to have, at least, his blood pressure checked.

He's only 66 and my worst fear is him not waking up one morning.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

26-02-2010, 04:56 PM
Sorry to hear about your Granddad. Seems a bit odd they are not running tests to find the cause.

Hope he recovers soon.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2010, 04:57 PM
Oh that sounds scary!! For all of you
I hope it has given him a fright to get healthy because he isnt old at all!
I would be bugging the doc to do lots of tests, that is not normal!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2010, 05:04 PM
think I would be getting him to go back to get tested for blood pressure, and also his chest sounded etc.

Not being funny but men are pretty useless when it comes to their own bodies - did your granny go too or did he go himself - cos if he went himself he probably told the Doc he was perfectly fine etc -
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

26-02-2010, 05:06 PM
Sorry to hear about your Grandad, I know you've written about him before and how much you like him, I hope he's OK now. Don't know what to say on the blood pressure thing but agree with you that he should call in to his local surgery and have some more tests done. It might not be serious, but on the other hand it might be potentially very serious so best to have it checked out.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2010, 07:32 PM
Hi Nic,

You can get tablets to help with the nicotine cravings - I can't for the life of me remember what they're called.

Hope Granda is better soon........ he's young to have this happen to him.....

x0x
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2010, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Sorry to hear about your Granddad. Seems a bit odd they are not running tests to find the cause.

Hope he recovers soon.
Thanks Lynn. Yes, I think it's odd too that they're not running tests.

Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Oh that sounds scary!! For all of you
I hope it has given him a fright to get healthy because he isnt old at all!
I would be bugging the doc to do lots of tests, that is not normal!
Thanks Pam. That's just it Pam, I'm hoping too that it gives him the wake up call he needs to sort himself out and get off the fags, as they really are ruining him. I've always hated him smoking, but it's his choice. He seems to be paying for it now though....

Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
think I would be getting him to go back to get tested for blood pressure, and also his chest sounded etc.

Not being funny but men are pretty useless when it comes to their own bodies - did your granny go too or did he go himself - cos if he went himself he probably told the Doc he was perfectly fine etc -
I'm going to make sure he goes back to the doctors, Dani. He went himself and like you say, he probably just said 'he's fine' when he's obviously not that fine! Yes, men ARE hopeless when it comes to things like this.

Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Sorry to hear about your Grandad, I know you've written about him before and how much you like him, I hope he's OK now. Don't know what to say on the blood pressure thing but agree with you that he should call in to his local surgery and have some more tests done. It might not be serious, but on the other hand it might be potentially very serious so best to have it checked out.
Thanks Harvey. I am very fond of my wee Granda and it pains me to see him like this and I really wish he would go and get them to run some tests on him, just to be sure there's nothing more serious going on that needs medical attention. It looks like his years of smoking are obviously catching up with him now.

Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Hi Nic,

You can get tablets to help with the nicotine cravings - I can't for the life of me remember what they're called.

Hope Granda is better soon........ he's young to have this happen to him.....

x0x
Thanks Vicki. Ah, so that's what they are. I presumed they might be something like that but wasn't sure whether they even existed or not! Well, let's hope they help my granda come off the fags!

He's should have plenty of life in him yet and I would hate anything to happen to him now.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2010, 09:21 PM
Just off the phone to him, now he tells me he has bruised ribs and a cut face as well.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2010, 09:42 PM
I am sorry to hear about your grandad. I would have thought they would have given him the usual look over, check the heart, chest and blood pressure. It only takes a few minutes doesn't it? It could also be a drop in blood sugar level that caused him to pass out, so I would have thought blood tests would also have been done. Let's hope you can persuade him to go back for another check up. But I also hope it was just a one off and he will be ok now.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2010, 10:54 PM
hay,
sorry bout ur grandad, did he go to his GP or A&E, and how long after the blackout?
ATD x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >