View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
karenneilson880
New Member!
Female 

17-10-2010, 12:49 PM

Has anyone used glucosamine and chondroitin for their dog?

Hi

Sadly the vet has told me my 20 month cocker spaniel has a touch of arthritis in her back left leg. She certainly limps a bit if we walk for a while. I have been given fish oil and green lipped mussle which I believe has glucosamine, which does seem to have helped a little. However I have spoken to many recently who have seggested that a combination of glucosamine and chondroitin could work well. So I was wondering if anyone has used this. Where to get it and what dosage to give.

Karen
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2010, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by karenneilson880 View Post
Hi

Sadly the vet has told me my 20 month cocker spaniel has a touch of arthritis in her back left leg. She certainly limps a bit if we walk for a while. I have been given fish oil and green lipped mussle which I believe has glucosamine, which does seem to have helped a little. However I have spoken to many recently who have seggested that a combination of glucosamine and chondroitin could work well. So I was wondering if anyone has used this. Where to get it and what dosage to give.

Karen
Sorry to hear about your cocker. I give Ailsa my GSD who has arthritus and bad hips (although neither seems to have reared its ugly head yet and she is now 5) both every day. I buy mine online which is cheaper. I do buy the doggy ones, when I asked on various forums if there was any difference between the human ones and the doggy ones there was no definitive answer. Some said that there was too much salt content in the human version and that the doggy version could be much more easily digested by them. Not being an expert I don't know but opted on the side of the doggy variety, it seemed pointless giving her the human stuff for years only to find it wasn't doing her any good. Not sure if the glucosamine etc. is what is keeping her sound, we live in a warm climate so I guess that is helping her arthritus problem but my breeder and several other people have told me what a wonderful product it is and so far Ailsa is doing v. well on it. I give her 3 a day. I buy from Simply Supplements and quite often you get special offers, last year it was buy 1 get one free so I bought 3 to get 6. Hope this is of some help to you hon and don't worry too much about your pup.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2010, 02:41 PM
Yes I get these from here
http://www.healthspan.co.uk/pet-heal...941-c3182.aspx

My Rottie x GSD had cruciate ligament surgery and arthritis often sets in pretty quickly. I have given her the above and she has no limp or stiffness at all and runs and plays happily.
LittleMonkies
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-10-2010, 03:04 PM
We get ours from vetvits. You can sign up to a repeat order thingy and they automatically send you a new tub just before the one you have runs out.
One of the vet nurses said it was the best value she had seen so I just took her word for it.
Mad Huskies
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-10-2010, 03:06 PM
Hiya, sorry to here about your girls probelms! I have read that glucosamine chondroitin is good for dogs with joint problems.. I know there are actually foods you can get that have it built in these are usally large breed foods so I'd check it out that its ok to give your little cocker but as far as I know it should be ok.. one product is the pets at home food Wainwrights large breed. Its ingredient list is very similar to James wellbeloved so its a descent food and as I say has Glucosamine chondroitin already in it so you wouldnt overdose! Hope that helps. xx
Vicki_Ann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-10-2010, 06:35 PM
Sorry to hear about your cocker. Hopefully this will not stop her from doing everything she loves in life. My 12 month old Welsh Sheepdog has HD, and he's still running around having fun and painfree on his walks with supplements - it's definitely possible!

I give 3 out of my 4 dogs glucosamine, chondroitin and MSM combination, which I buy online (recommended site by a Dogsey member). It's brilliant.

My PMD rescue came to us with very stiff hips and a distinct limp in one of his hind legs. After a month on glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM he was only limping after long walks and now, nearly 3 months later he doesn't limp at all.

I also take it for my own hip, as does my aunty who has arthritis in her hip. It definitely keeps serious harm at bay, and is well worth IMO.
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-10-2010, 09:30 PM
I used Cosequin DS for years, occassionally Synoquin since June he has been on Go24 100% pure Glucosamine from a Sports Injury Vet, my dog has ED diagnosed at 13mth when x-rayed for scoring and recently a cruciate ligament repair (TTA) whilst at the Ortho vets he was fully assessed I had already had x-rays of spine, hips and pelvis of which they got digital copies. At the age of 5.5yrs there is no sign of DJD in his hips they still look the same as when he was scored 0:0 , his elbows although he had grade 3 (the worse) he still has full mobility in them. Since he had his TTA op 22 days ago there as been no limping at all.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

18-10-2010, 07:04 AM
I have recently put Ollie on the simply pets Glucosamine sulphate and human grade msm from Holland and Barratt he has been suffering from lameness on and off for a couple of years now. Neither contain the chrondoitin and he is doing really well the Glucosamine is high strength as he is a large breed dog.

It has made a difference for him plus he needed to lose weight he is now running and moving a lot easier than he did a while back. He has been having supplements for a while but the pet shop ones do not contain enough of the ingredient needed to really combat the problem not for large breeds anyway.
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-10-2010, 08:30 AM
Sorry to hear about your dog.
My vet suggested I give glucosamine & chondroitin to our elderly dog a few years back. I used to stock up when it was on offer in Boots & other chemists. Using the human grade ones didn't seem to do him any harm as he lived until he was 15yrs old and rarely had prescription pain killers. If you're not sure re dose why not ask you vet for advice?
My OH takes them now too for his dodgy knee.
Hope the supplements help.
karenneilson880
New Member!
Female 

18-10-2010, 08:32 AM
Hi Everyone

Thanks for your replies am away tocheck out some products.Think I will stick to the doggie ones though and see wher we go. Will letyou know how we're doing.

Just iut of interest does any one know if it's a good idea to give a dog who is showing no signs of sore joints this as a preventative. I also have a 18 month old springer who as you can imagine just loves to run and jump. As this is quite tough on her joints thought I might put her on it too.

Karen x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >