Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2011, 08:32 AM

Onwards & upwards.....hopefully!!

As you all know, the place I currently work at is in dire straits & not expected to be open into the New Year.... Weeeeeelllllllllllllllllll, it kinda got me thinking about doing something I would enjoy while getting paid for it

A dog walking business

I thought now would be the best time to try & do this while I still have wage coming in to fall back on, then if it doesn't work out aswell as I hope I will hopefully have time to apply for jobs before mine comes to an end!

I have been getting ALOT of invaluable advice from Sam (paws on board) I owe her a huge THANKYOU!! Otherwise I wouldn't have had a clue where to start. Bless , I think I'll have her head done in before this all gets off the ground

My OH is all for me trying it out & is being quite good with suggestions for adverts & stuff to see if there would be any interest in my local area.

I will be called Paws Galore.... if this does start to take off then I can reduce my hours at work to 2 days a week & take it from there.

I know its gonna be a while before I get sorted, but I feel if I don't try it , then I will never know.

What do you guys think? Any advice?

Thankyouuu Bev x
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-09-2011, 08:59 AM
No advice I am afraid, just

and if you lived near me you would get my business every day!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

11-09-2011, 09:27 AM
No advice sorry but wishing you the best of luck.

Keep us updated please.
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2011, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
No advice I am afraid, just

and if you lived near me you would get my business every day!
Aww thanks Malka xx

Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
No advice sorry but wishing you the best of luck.

Keep us updated please.
Thankyou Lynn, I certainly will, am just trying to work on pricing right now, but the prices the companies charge 10-15 miles from me are just mad ( as in expensive)... I have only come across one other place in Felixstowe that does dog walking, so am hoping thats a good sign x
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-09-2011, 11:33 AM
Hi Bev,

Sounds like you are getting stuck into your research!! Its good that there isn't much competition near you

It sounds like a really good idea, and you could take yours to work with you!!

Good Luck with your new venture
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2011, 11:47 AM
Apparently it is the biggest growing small business idea.

Very good luck with it.

Locally they seem to charge about £9 an hour, don't know how many dogs are walked at once but I meet one couple who do it and they usually have about 4 as well as their own dog.

Assuming you have checked insurance etc out?

rune
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2011, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by Deb/Pugglepup View Post
Hi Bev,

Sounds like you are getting stuck into your research!! Its good that there isn't much competition near you

It sounds like a really good idea, and you could take yours to work with you!!

Good Luck with your new venture
Thanks Deb, am hoping to have most things ready to go (posters, business cards etc) by the middle of the week.

Originally Posted by rune View Post
Apparently it is the biggest growing small business idea.

Very good luck with it.

Locally they seem to charge about £9 an hour, don't know how many dogs are walked at once but I meet one couple who do it and they usually have about 4 as well as their own dog.

Assuming you have checked insurance etc out?

rune
Thankyou Rune, I was thinking of walking maybe 3 at a time, as I know I can manage 3 & don't want to over stretch myself, it'd be no good for me or the pooches! I've checked out insurance & it comes in at around £100-£120 per year. I know there are people in Ipswich charging £10 per half hour So am thinking of undercutting that & charging around the £9-£10 for an hour, aswell as having an offer going if that person recommends me to a friend.

I won't be able to offer boarding as there just isn't the room here with kids & my 3 lumps, so for now it'll be pet taxi, dog walking, feeding, wee breaks..Just need to find a free webpage host now & sort out the business cards & I'm good to go & test the water.

I'm listing stuff on Ebay so I can use the money for guards for my car & a couple of other bits & bobs.

I'm really excited by it, I just hope & pray it works xx
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2011, 12:37 PM
You could offer to watch small pets as well maybe? If you have a safe room/shed they could come to you.

rune
STGSD
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-09-2011, 12:42 PM
Good luck to you

I have been thinking over doing the same thing for quite some time now, but failing my driving test has put it on hold really. And things are tough atm I just can't afford to pay out for another test. I already walk 2 cavs for a couple on a monday and friday morning before work, they pay me £7.50 per walk for both dogs and I walk them for 30-40mins. And I work in a pet shop which is the ideal place as locals come in asking about dog walkers etc, thats how I started walking the cavs and I've had 2 women come in recently asking me about it saying they will use me when needed. For now I may just get a push bike and do dog walking in the town I live then when i'm on the road offer it in surrounding areas, all being well and good OH will join me, we hope to make it a business for the both of us to do and expand.
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2011, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
You could offer to watch small pets as well maybe? If you have a safe room/shed they could come to you.

rune
Thats a good idea We do have a living room at the front of the house that is empty except for a 2 seat settee & a telly. Its awaiting the wall being knocked down but it'll be a long while before that happens Thanks Rune, if you get anymore ideas, keep em coming

Originally Posted by STGSD View Post
Good luck to you

I have been thinking over doing the same thing for quite some time now, but failing my driving test has put it on hold really. And things are tough atm I just can't afford to pay out for another test. I already walk 2 cavs for a couple on a monday and friday morning before work, they pay me £7.50 per walk for both dogs and I walk them for 30-40mins. And I work in a pet shop which is the ideal place as locals come in asking about dog walkers etc, thats how I started walking the cavs and I've had 2 women come in recently asking me about it saying they will use me when needed. For now I may just get a push bike and do dog walking in the town I live then when i'm on the road offer it in surrounding areas, all being well and good OH will join me, we hope to make it a business for the both of us to do and expand.
Thanks STG, hope you get sorted out eventually. For me its either now or never Theres never gonna be a better time for me to try & see xx
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »