View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gadge
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-05-2008, 02:15 PM

Ridgeback attacks rugby stars 6 year old son.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

Anyone read this, what do you think?

Having a Rhodesian Ridgeback i know how affectionate they are, this case may be due to lack of training.....?
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2008, 02:21 PM
I knew of a nasty one when I was younger, but have met some lovely ones since.. as the report says - could have been a medical problem.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2008, 02:43 PM
awwww terrible......but hate to say it but they get a kinder write up than a staffy would
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2008, 02:43 PM
There again it was the Daily Mail surprised they did not blame the government

R. R's can be none too friendly to strangers but this was a member of the family so it is anyone’s guess what happened unless a responsible adult was present which of course there should have been.

I am sure lots of dogs nip members of their families and there would never be a mention but if that dog is large or thought to be a 'dangerous' dog then the papers are interested.

Think the breeders of both the Ridge and the Rottie deserve praise as the temperament of those in the show ring at least has improved a good deal.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2008, 03:13 PM
Poor family

I thought the article was fairly written and even suggested the dog could have had an underlying problem.

I don't agree Pita about RRs being unfriendly to strangers, they can be aloof but I wouldn't say unfriendly
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2008, 03:34 PM
Poor family and poor dog....

I thought the article was fairly written, although it's a bit hard to stomach when you read any article about a Staffie or Rottie attack where they intersperse it with pics of snarling dogs; and don't go into half as much breed info as in this article.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2008, 03:36 PM
Think perhaps I was unfair as I did not see the scroll down arrow and only read the first part. It still seems that it would not have been reported if the dog had be a Lab and the lad just a lad from down the road.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-05-2008, 03:41 PM
I think it was a fair article, I dont think the owner was in any way angry... it was suggested the dog may have had a brain tumor...I think I would have had to have a autopsy to satisfy myself
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-05-2008, 04:10 PM
Poor little boy. I think it is likely the dog was unwell as suggested.
I have known two one unfortunately pts a few years back due to ill health, the male still living is becoming grumpy with age but is still a nice dog. Well trained as the Lady herself states willful and needs lots of training and need to know who's boss, but I think that can be said of all dogs large or small. I think you need to know how to control large dogs, but if there is a medical problem that no-one knows of unfortunate accidents can happen, and when its too late in some cases these things are found out.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2008, 04:42 PM
Poor child, but he will recover, poor dog, he wasnt so lucky !
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >