Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2011, 03:51 PM

New Dog, New challenges

Every time I get a new dog it seems I have to learn a whole new set of skills.
You`d think that training would get easier the longer you do it... nah. Not IME.
I`ve ordered a couple of training books and am about to leap into a soothing bath after a particularly cr*p training walk with His Nibs.
The first dog I had was a dream - she was the easiest dog I ever had. They seem to be getting more challenging as I go on. Does this happen to others or is it just me getting old?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2011, 03:57 PM
You always say "I won't make that mistake with the next dog" and you do not; you make different ones!

(Although I have seen examples of where every dog owned by particular handlers have the same "faults")
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2011, 05:01 PM
Oh---you and me both!

I have had loads of rescue dogs and they all are different. Benj is easy really compared to some. He is great with people and good with other dogs----but I still feel like I am walking through treacle sometimes.

I had a week of boot saleing with my s in l and the dogs haven't been walked properly or trained at all for that week. Boy does it show, I am back to square one with trying to get him on the ball---he just wants to herd Champa because he has been doing it for a week.

I am training him first tonight in a minute so I can enjoy Etta afterwards. Then I am doing the radox bath thing as well.

Enjoy yours!

rune
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2011, 08:56 PM
I don't have as much experience with dogs as you, but mine definitely seem to be getting harder! Moon never put a foot wrong, Cain couldn't be any further at the other end of the spectrum. I pray this trend doesn't continue, or I'm getting a cat

Think of it as a learning curve, they all teach us something new (even if it's how NOT to do something )

What books did you order?
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2011, 06:11 AM
do you think its because as you go on, you feel more able to take on dogs that perhaps need that bit more training or are more challenging?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2011, 07:36 AM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
do you think its because as you go on, you feel more able to take on dogs that perhaps need that bit more training or are more challenging?
Claire maybe has I haven't.

I took on dogs with my eyes shut or because they were out of options in the past. I said no more difficult ones, and he really isn't that bad.

rune
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2011, 07:43 AM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
I wish! I think it`s the Dog Fairy having a bit of a laugh, personally.
I always hit the ogodwhydidistartthis moment about now. Luckily stubborn-ness (is that even a word?) kicks in and it gets better. I`m so looking forward to the better.
eta: ah - honeymoon period........you`d think I`d know by now.
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-09-2011, 08:20 AM
you don't get the dog you want, you get the dog you need?
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

01-09-2011, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Every time I get a new dog it seems I have to learn a whole new set of skills.
You`d think that training would get easier the longer you do it... nah. Not IME.
I`ve ordered a couple of training books and am about to leap into a soothing bath after a particularly cr*p training walk with His Nibs.
The first dog I had was a dream - she was the easiest dog I ever had. They seem to be getting more challenging as I go on. Does this happen to others or is it just me getting old?
I will let you know when new pup arrives.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2011, 08:55 AM
I lay in bed earlier thinking about this sort of thing.
When we adopted Pepsi I did wonder if we had done the right thing.
She is a terrier, we are older, our last dog, Mo, was ready trained and so easy. Were we expecting too much?

Well I have to say that Peps has been a dream. Yes, ok, we have had a few blips, mainly because she thinks she is Houdini's daughter and she has a penchant for badger sets but we have been able to work with/around this.

It's been 8 months now, lets hope our honeymoon period is over!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >