Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2006, 10:19 PM

Obedient Grooming.

My 4 month old Northern Inuit, Jess has a lovely sleek double coat.

She sheds quite a bit and I love grooming her, I know it creates a strong bond between dog and owner as it is a pleasurable experience for both.

Yet my problem is evrything is a toy, a game to her so when I try to brush her several times a day she wants to chew the brush, and as got hold of the wooden one several time, so its got a fair few teeth marks now.

I will brush her and she will lunge back trying to get the brush, I have tried distracting her with a bone, treat and toys to chew on whilst I groom, maybe they will work for 15 seconds then its back to trying to destroy the brush...

Any advice on how I can get her to be still and enjoy the grooming experience?

Cheers guys

kye xxx

shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2006, 10:26 PM
Cant give you any advise, just wanted to say my Ozzie is a nightmare dog, but when it comes to grooming I cant believe how good he is and always has been. I only have to pick his brush up, say want a brush, and he's there sat in front of me.

Just wanted a little boast - cause he's so naughty, this is the only thing I can be proud of with him.
b-eye
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2006, 10:37 PM
only advice i would give is --keep at it, she is young yet (well the best age to start) but you are doing the right think by starting early, i had this with my two but be firm and fair, keep going with the toys treats etc hopefully she will learn that grooming time is nice and dosent hurt , and fingers crossed relaxes a bit more, time and patience i think is the key,
huggles
b-eye
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2006, 10:39 PM
I am hoping she will improve with age, as I know it can be something we both love.

I was just hopeing there are some 'tricks' to achieve better behaviour with grooming.

It isnt pleasent getting bitten, even though it is accidental, every time I brush her...
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-12-2006, 11:29 PM
Are you giving her the treat? I started by holding a treat but not giving it until I was done. Jake and Charlie would be so busy licking at the treat. Now they enjoy being brushed but it helped in the begining.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-12-2006, 08:21 AM
Ollie was the same he is a lot better now though,I din't brush everyday and gave treats when I did during and when finished he now enjoys it and almost always is good.
I find it best after a walk they are tired then.
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2006, 08:47 AM
hi there trigger was like this when we first started i use the word wait with him and he now knows that if he waits and lets me do it he gets a treat but he is now so relaxed he falls asleep when i brush him. just keep at it you will get there
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2006, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by IanTaylor View Post
Are you giving her the treat? I started by holding a treat but not giving it until I was done. Jake and Charlie would be so busy licking at the treat. Now they enjoy being brushed but it helped in the begining.

Thanks Ian, this sounds like something I could try with Jess, having her so focused on the treat other than destorying the offending brush.

She is asleep now, so I will try this later,

Thanks guys.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2006, 04:40 PM
I like Ian's idea. My dog when a pup was totally crazy and also was far more keen to play than be groomed. She was also very ticklish

I got her fav. toy and put it just out of reach and just brushed her one stroke, then give her the toy and we'd play. Same again, and again, gradually moving to 2/3/4/5/ etc strokes of the brush...

Over time she learnt to wait and she knew she'd get the game/toy (or food reward). Sometimes too, to keep her interested, I'd vary the timing of the reward, so she might get it after just 5 brush strokes or after 2 or after 20...

It works really well .
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2006, 06:30 PM
a good tip i was given...............

spread some peanut butter on one of your white goods in the kitchen, let your pup lick it of whilst you grooming.

when finished its easy to wipe clean.

job done without struggling